Play some of the young healthy offensive lineman against Wisconsin

airboose

Anyone know how beat-up Wisconsin is? Chryst may not be as transparent about injuries as our head coach...

This is the site I look at from time to time. Seems to be pretty accurate. Sorry the formatting doesn't paste very well.

Wisconsin

Date Pos Player Injury Status
10/23/16 FB Alec Ingold Arm "?" Saturday vs. Nebraska
10/23/16 CB Derrick Tindal Leg injured last game, "?" Saturday vs. Nebraska
10/23/16 LB T.J. Watt Undisclosed injured last game, "?" Saturday vs. Nebraska
10/23/16 LB Zack Baun Leg "?" Saturday vs. Nebraska
10/23/16 OL Jon Dietzen Leg "?" Saturday vs. Nebraska
10/23/16 S Keelon Brookins Leg "?" Saturday vs. Nebraska
10/23/16 NT Olive Sagapolu Arm "?" Saturday vs. Nebraska
10/23/16 WR Robert Wheelwright Leg "?" Saturday vs. Nebraska
10/20/16 LS Jake Cesear Undisclosed has left team
09/29/16 K Rafael Gaglianone Back out for season
09/13/16 CB Natrell Jamerson Leg expected to miss 4-6 weeks
09/10/16 OL George Panos Shoulder out for season
09/05/16 LB Chris Orr Leg out for season
08/25/16 OL Dan Voltz Knee out for season

Nice Stats, I figure a bunch of those question marks (8) from the weekend are guys who will be ok and are just dinged up, if not the Badgers just took a beating last week.

Anyone know how beat-up Wisconsin is? Chryst may not be as transparent about injuries as our head coach...

This is the site I look at from time to time. Seems to be pretty accurate. Sorry the formatting doesn't paste very well.

Wisconsin

Date Pos Player Injury Status
10/23/16 FB Alec Ingold Arm "?" Saturday vs. Nebraska
10/23/16 CB Derrick Tindal Leg injured last game, "?" Saturday vs. Nebraska
10/23/16 LB T.J. Watt Undisclosed injured last game, "?" Saturday vs. Nebraska
10/23/16 LB Zack Baun Leg "?" Saturday vs. Nebraska
10/23/16 OL Jon Dietzen Leg "?" Saturday vs. Nebraska
10/23/16 S Keelon Brookins Leg "?" Saturday vs. Nebraska
10/23/16 NT Olive Sagapolu Arm "?" Saturday vs. Nebraska
10/23/16 WR Robert Wheelwright Leg "?" Saturday vs. Nebraska
10/20/16 LS Jake Cesear Undisclosed has left team
09/29/16 K Rafael Gaglianone Back out for season
09/13/16 CB Natrell Jamerson Leg expected to miss 4-6 weeks
09/10/16 OL George Panos Shoulder out for season
09/05/16 LB Chris Orr Leg out for season
08/25/16 OL Dan Voltz Knee out for season

• Fire 1

Wow...that and Sagapolu being out will hurt Wisky on defense quite a bit. Don't know if that balances with our Baling Wire/Duct Tape OL or not...but it's gonna hurt them.

As for our O-Line, so we've gotten word that our staff is looking at alternating players on the O-Line to help. Any ideas who or if they'll move folks around to compensate?

I'm thinking there are no young linemen that the staff feels can compete on the level we need. I don't know the severity or degree of hurt of the front five-like are they nagging injuries or injuries that will impact the player's future health if not healed? I guess that's on the coaches and they probably well versed in that. However, we are scary limited in depth on the o-line and I think one more injury and we'll see a red shirt pulled out of necessity. Do the red shirted guys suit up? I'm curious about the actual activation of players. Can they be added to the active roster during a game? Do they travel for an in case situation(hard to burn a guys shirt if he's not there). I'm pretty sure there's no fire pit guys throw shirts into on their way to the LOS. But a hint as to intention might be given by red shirts that make the travel roster. Maybe? Just speculating

The only roster limits that NU has are during road games, which the Big Ten limited at 70. Redshirting players can travel, but count against that roster limit. Pat O'Brien has traveled to NU's road games, but hasn't played in a game, so his redshirt for this season is still in tact.

I'm not sure if the redshirting frosh on the o-line have traveled with the team to NW or Indiana, or if they are even suiting up during home games. The redshirts sit in the stands during games, unless there is a slight chance the coaches will play them, and they will suit up.

NU has had guys step in with sheer athleticism and get the job done. So have other teams. Below is an excerpt from Pro Football Analysis grading out the OL. Basically, some are ok, some are horrific. No way the healthier young guys can be worse.....

Two offensive line starters have overall grades of well below 50.0

RG Tanner Farmer is having a strong season for the Cornhuskers, as his 79.5 overall grade ranks him fifth among Big Ten guards. While LT Nick Gates is not putting up the All-Big Ten production numbers we expected coming into this season (he has given up 12 total pressures in pass protection), his 72.9 overall grade is still solid, and ranks him ninth among conference tackles. Center Dylan Utter has been a stud in pass protection (he has allowed one hurry with no sacks or hits), which has helped him in an overall grade of 74.7.

The other two starters, however, have had significant struggles on both run and pass blocks. RT David Knevel has given up 11 total pressures, and has an overall grade of just 46.7. LG Sam Hahn is one of the lowest-graded Big Ten starters regardless of position, as he has an overall grade of just 40.2. While pass protection has been a struggle at times for him (11 pressures yielded), it’s his 31.4 run blocking grade that’s been the bigger issue. Collectively, the unit is finding ways to work; although the quintet has yielded a total of 37 pressures, they’ve been charged with just two sacks and as mentioned earlier, all three primary ball carriers are averaging over 4.0 yards per rush.

Their strongest opponent to date in terms of rushing the passer was Northwestern, a team that’s posted 137 total pressures this season, and the Cornhuskers offense line yielded just three hurries against the Wildcats. The Badgers and Buckeyes are a whole not above in terms of their abilities to get to the passer, and will certainly test the limits of Nebraska’s offensive line.

NU has had guys step in with sheer athleticism and get the job done. So have other teams. Below is an excerpt from Pro Football Analysis grading out the OL. Basically, some are ok, some are horrific. No way the healthier young guys can be worse.....

Two offensive line starters have overall grades of well below 50.0

RG Tanner Farmer is having a strong season for the Cornhuskers, as his 79.5 overall grade ranks him fifth among Big Ten guards. While LT Nick Gates is not putting up the All-Big Ten production numbers we expected coming into this season (he has given up 12 total pressures in pass protection), his 72.9 overall grade is still solid, and ranks him ninth among conference tackles. Center Dylan Utter has been a stud in pass protection (he has allowed one hurry with no sacks or hits), which has helped him in an overall grade of 74.7.

The other two starters, however, have had significant struggles on both run and pass blocks. RT David Knevel has given up 11 total pressures, and has an overall grade of just 46.7. LG Sam Hahn is one of the lowest-graded Big Ten starters regardless of position, as he has an overall grade of just 40.2. While pass protection has been a struggle at times for him (11 pressures yielded), it’s his 31.4 run blocking grade that’s been the bigger issue. Collectively, the unit is finding ways to work; although the quintet has yielded a total of 37 pressures, they’ve been charged with just two sacks and as mentioned earlier, all three primary ball carriers are averaging over 4.0 yards per rush.

Their strongest opponent to date in terms of rushing the passer was Northwestern, a team that’s posted 137 total pressures this season, and the Cornhuskers offense line yielded just three hurries against the Wildcats. The Badgers and Buckeyes are a whole not above in terms of their abilities to get to the passer, and will certainly test the limits of Nebraska’s offensive line.

Thanks for posting this. numbers confirm what we have all observed with our eyes this season. left guard and right tackle is a real problem for us and won't get better this year. i am sure will be addressed in the off season, but these two could really cost us a game or two this season. i imagine the coaches call plays to try and minimize the impact these two players can have, but when 40% of your line is so far below par difficult to hide.