What Did We Learn - Wisconsin Edition

I happen to think next season -- unless Tanner Lee turns in a Heisman campaign -- we'll enjoy a weekly quarterback controversy and a work-in-progress offense that also must replace Carter, Westerkamp, Riley, and Newby.

Gee whiz, I sure hope we only replace Reilly, and not Riley too! :lol:

/spelling smack. lol

• Fire 1

TA's completion percentage is now worse than his Sophomore year.

The Huskers are currently #117 in the country in completion percentage.

Would it be dumb for me to think that's mainly because of two things, poor play calling and a patchwork offensive line? It just seems to me that TA is running for his life most of the time.

Would it be dumb for me to think that's mainly because of two things, poor play calling and a patchwork offensive line? It just seems to me that TA is running for his life most of the time.

To think it's mainly because of those two things? Yes, that would be dumb. ;)

I thought the pass plays that were called in the Oregon-Northwestern-Illinois were very good - giving TA easy throws. For some reason we've largely gone away from those in the last three games. And the injuries on the OL have hurt (no pun intended) though I don't think TA has been running for his life nearly as much as some people like to say.

But I'm pretty sure the main reasons are TA's terrible mechanics and that he decides before the snap where he's going to throw it (most of the time).

To think it's mainly because of those two things? Yes, that would be dumb. ;)

I thought the pass plays that were called in the Oregon-Northwestern-Illinois were very good - giving TA easy throws. For some reason we've largely gone away from those in the last three games. And the injuries on the OL have hurt (no pun intended) though I don't think TA has been running for his life nearly as much as some people like to say.

But I'm pretty sure the main reasons are TA's terrible mechanics and that he decides before the snap where he's going to throw it (most of the time).

TA's mechanics are okay IMO if he has time, when he doesn't have time, makes his decision before hand where's he's going that seems to be when he throws off of his back foot or throws a low percentage bomb. When Langs calls short to intermediate throws and TA gets some time he seems to do okay. He also seems to do well when rolling out of the pocket. He's actually better doing that it appears that doing your typical drop back and pass. 1st half of the season was obviously better than the 2nd half so far for him.

He has been a better manager this year, mostly when Westy is out there. Kind of his security blanket.

I think out of 3 guys fighting for the job next year, we are going to find at least one who can get us closer to a more respectable completion percentage.

Losing Westy sucks, but I drool thinking about how big Morgan is going to be for us next year. Guy is just an absolute beast of a receiver.

• Fire 1

giving TA easy throws. For some reason we've largely gone away from those in the last three games.

Do you think any part of that could be the last 5 opponents thinking, "Hey, we noticed that Tommy Armstrong throws a lot of easy passes. Maybe we should, like, make those not as easy and force him to throw harder ones?"

giving TA easy throws. For some reason we've largely gone away from those in the last three games.

Do you think any part of that could be the last 5 opponents thinking, "Hey, we noticed that Tommy Armstrong throws a lot of easy passes. Maybe we should, like, make those not as easy and force him to throw harder ones?"

That and Carter being out has made those easy throws much harder to come by.

If I'm a d-coordinator that's what I would be thinking. Cut off his short throws and force him into intermediate/deep throws. His chances of completing those go way down from what we've all seen. Keep him in the pocket as well.

Eh, I'm sure they try to do that. But we have too many good receivers for them to really take away them all.

A couple examples from Saturday:

After Gerry's first interception, we had a second down and DPE ran a short curl route. He was WIDE open but TA either threw too early or too wide and it was incomplete.

On 3rd down in OT if TA doesn't try to force it in to a double-covered Westy and checks backside Reilly had great position on a smaller CB 1-on-1.

So they aren't gone. But they haven't been there as much. On the OT play, I don't know how the plays are called or what they look for. Maybe they flip that play so the easy throw is to TA's right so he'll take it more when it's called. But the play might also have been designed for that to be the second or third option.

Wisky may as well not bother to show up here next year because they will be leaving with a loss that they may not recover from for some time. Mark it.

Forget Oklahoma, forget Texas and their nonsense, forget Colorado, KSU and Mizzou's terrible fans, and forget our fabricated rivalry with Iowa......there is no team I loathe more than Wisconsin. Probably isn't justified, but I really don't care.

We will see. UW returns almost everyone next year. Lose Shelton, Biegel and Musso on D, Houston, Clement, Dare and Wheelright on O. Everyone else comes back (also two starting ILBs and our NT who didn't play on Sat). Paul Chryst is in his second season and had to really restock the roster after having 3 different head coaches in 3 years. Next year is the year that UW is going to be back to full strength and should be rocking and rolling. I don't think anyone is going to be blowing UW out next year, most will be hard pressed to win by 1. And Nebraska won't be getting us right off of the hardest stretch in program history either.

The team played better than expected and they played hard for four full quarters. The defense did well except for about 2 plays.

The offense is still hurt by an offensive line that is injury ridden and has a hard time on the Line of Scrimmage. They don't dominate and block as well as is needed for a top ten team.

I think TA is a great athlete but his throwing technique goes to crap when he is pressured which happens too often with this line. Its hard to see us as a championship team when you can't rely on the QB's arm in a pinch. He makes some great throws and then throws badly. We have had these problems with Tayler Martinez and now with TA. We need a true QB.