What would make this a successful year?

I don't think Wisconsin has won at NW for like 15 years...I could be wrong but I thought that was the case. Heck I am probably wrong. But the betting line gives a good indication.

It's been since 1999 since Wisconsin last won in Evanston. So you are actually right, but UW and NW haven't played every year during that time.

I know that!

LEAVE ME ALONE

Anything less than a division championship for NU shouldn't be considered a successful season, that's why the loss to Wisconsin was so tough, because it was a great opportunity lost. NU still controls it's own destiny, but if there is another loss in conference, NU needs help from another team to win the B1G West.

I could see NU getting in under a number of circumstances. I think wisky loses at least one more reg season game

Yes, but it still stinks having to depend on another team upsetting Wisconsin.

True statement.

Let's hope the Huskers pull off a patented Riley-esque upset in Columbus - I think the rest of the season should be fairly straight forward for the Huskers after that game.

The patented Riley-esque upset in Columbus would be meaningless, if it was followed by a Riley-esque upset loss in one of the final 3 games.

Another true statement. But I'm trying to think positive on this game.

If we had to lose a game down the reg season stretch, id rather lose to OSU than any other scheduled teams. I think that would hurt us less than a different loss, both in terms of "sneaking into" the ccg and national perception. A loss this week followed by 3 wins would likely mean a top 10 finish to the reg season.

At that point, somewhat perversely, NU would be better off missing the ccg and and winning its bowl game. At 11-2, we'd be top 10 for sure and people would be very very happy in Husker land. Probably more happy than 10-4 and maybe even 11-3 depending on nature of third loss.

Last note- seems like a "patented bad upset" is hardly patentable as I look across 2 decades of CFB watching.

The fact that it happen so rarely to a TO team may be the single most marvelous aspect of his record at NU.

10-2 reg season and at least a split in the ccg and bowl games.

or

9-3 reg season with a bowl win.

Anything better than that would be amazingly well done by the team and staff.

Agreed. Honestly, I'd take anything that gave us less than 4 losses right now. Even if we were to lose a close game at OSU, If we could win out, I'd be pretty happy.

• Fire 1

1. 9+ wins. It was the standard for Osborne and Bo.

2. Reel in the recruits that they are going after. Close out on them.

3. Find a JUCO DE (or two) and get some JUCO Oline depth that is capable of playing right away.

4. Win the bowl game. I don't care if they play in the Andy's Frozen Custard Bowl. Just win baby,

5. Pink slip the special team coordinator. Hire someone who knows how to block for the return and protect the punter.

Anything less than a division championship for NU shouldn't be considered a successful season, that's why the loss to Wisconsin was so tough, because it was a great opportunity lost. NU still controls it's own destiny, but if there is another loss in conference, NU needs help from another team to win the B1G West.

I could see NU getting in under a number of circumstances. I think wisky loses at least one more reg season game

Yes, but it still stinks having to depend on another team upsetting Wisconsin.

True statement.

Let's hope the Huskers pull off a patented Riley-esque upset in Columbus - I think the rest of the season should be fairly straight forward for the Huskers after that game.

The patented Riley-esque upset in Columbus would be meaningless, if it was followed by a Riley-esque upset loss in one of the final 3 games.

Admittedly, I have a concern with the timing of the Minnesota game (How will the team be mentally after a big road win or back to back road losses?). However, I'm trying not to look too far ahead, and am hoping for the best.

• Fire 1

Anything 9-3 or better I'm very happy with and think is a job well done by this year's crew. However, I'm hoping for and believe we're capable of getting to 11 total wins on the season by any means necessary.

It will be nice that Saturday night the players will know the fate of the Wisconsin/NW game. If Wisconsin takes care of business, it will hopefully behoove our team to take the Buckeyes that much more seriously knowing there is no room for failure.

• Fire 1

Successful: Getting to Indy.

Acceptable? Finishing with less than 4 losses for the first time in 13 years.

We already surpassed last years win total and have a chance to make Indy. I would say it's a success right now.

I pretty much agree with these two.

As long as the wheels don't come off now and we go on some sort of losing streak.