16 Team Playoff

That would be way too much for football. Any other sport sounds good, but not a 16 team playoff. 8 is even too much for me.

I don't think it would be if you would incorporate it into the bowl schedule. There is usually a lot of time in between the regular season and most bowls, so I think it would be nice to have a few more games. I don't know if it will ever get to 16, but I see it going to 8 in the future.

That would be way too much for football. Any other sport sounds good, but not a 16 team playoff. 8 is even too much for me.

It would be 4-5 games (some teams with a bye). You would have a month + to play these games. I agree - 16 is too many. I still think 8 is perfect and that will 100% happen within 5-7 years.

The only way 16 would ever work is if they cut down 1-2 games on the regular season. FCS teams play 11 regular season games (no conf chip) compared to FBS 12 (with conf chip).

The playoff system is an example where everything scales.

Prior to the BCS, you didn't have championship games. You just had bowls and polling picked the National Champions at the end of the season.

Then they introduced the BCS, which solved what most people wanted "We want to actually see the top two teams play". It introduced the issue, however, where we don't get to see the teams that missed the cut, through whatever reasons, even given the chance to compete.

So the CFP is introduced. It has all the same issues that the BCS had, but now we have 4 teams instead of 2.

So we introduce the 8 team playoff, and it doesn't solve any of the issues.

So we introduce a 16 team playoff, and it doesn't solve any of the issues.

So we intro...

In the end, what are we trying to accomplish?

If we get to 8 we will already almost have 16. Conference Championships will be defacto quarter/semi finals.

I'd like to see us go to 8 and completely do away with the Conference Championships. Take the B1G this year for example. If Wisconsin wins the West which looks somewhat likely, they've already played the eventual East champion in either Ohio State or Michigan. The Conference Championship could very well screw the B1G this year anyway with only 4 teams getting in. If Wisconsin beats either Michigan or Ohio State, it's probably not likely a two loss team makes the playoff. It's also a little unlikely either Michigan or Ohio State would get in either because they didn't win the Conference Championship.

We will never do away with conference championships, too much pride that universities take in displaying trophies and banners for being the best team in their league on any given year.

If conferences move to 16 or more team super leagues we will basically just be playing a conference slate like we did in the Big 8 days. The two winners from those super divisions square off ina conference championship, but really it will be more like the Pac vs the B1G at that point. The conference champions advance to the next round/quarter finals.

8 teams is perfect. Power five champions, one group of five, and two at-larges. If any team has beef, well, win your damn conference (or join a conference, Notre Dame!)

I don't like the Power five's getting an automatic slot. Take the Big 12 this year for example. They don't have a single team that's even remotely close to being one of the top 8 teams in the country.

I really like the idea of all 5 conferences being represented. It's just another way to show if they belong or don't. With less and less non-conference games coming in the future there needs to be away besides the media to determine how strong a conference is. 5 +3(at large) seems good.

Can't see what the strong argument for 16 would be? and 4 is ok, however there have been years where the the difference between #2 and #5 is too tight to call.