How is Michigan an instant contender after two season with a new coach?

airboose

Talent is not much to me. A great coach will craft masterpeices from the trenches. The great players in my opinion are always the 'diamonds in the rough.' A group of young men who are persistent, teachable/coachable, and passionate. A good coach would make a ball game with a group of kids with these traits. You can have 5-star recruits and more physical talent than you can handle; however, if you can't speak into the lives of young men you'll just be tossing a football around and grunting. I think there are more important lessons in the game of football or any sport for that matter. Which is probably why I value the coaching aspect more than the talent aspect; it's less superficial and harder to do. Average men and women can be pretty successful in sports just by practicing - this gets your talent about equal to most other teams.. The vast majority of improvement is made by coaching. I'm thinking of Nick Saban as a coach who can really rally his team

No doubt, why even bother recruiting. Saban gets the #1 recruiting class every year fwiw.

It takes both coaching and talent to be great. One without the other and you run into some problems. Bill Snyder is about as good a coach as you'll ever see but he doesn't get the results Saban and Meyer do bc he doesn't have their horses.

Yes Meyer and Saban. Ohio St. got their championship dreams crushed by Penn St. It's no surprise we get straight owned by them after their defeat. Meyer was trying to make a point to other teams and to his own team as well - we don't give up. His team is young overall and he made them look like seasoned veterans out there on Saturday. Meyer deserves all the credit he has received so far.

Ohio State is still in the thick of the hunt. If they win out, they will be in the CFP I think. If Michigan beats them, they will be in, someone from the BIG is going, Oklahoma has two losses, they would have a terrible time of making it, even if they end up undefeated in conference.

Nebraska has missed the boat on recruiting for a long time. Riley is the first in a long time to take it seriously and the University is still way behind the likes of the SEC.

We start injured walkons on the Oline and Ohio State as 4 star 2nd and third team players. Yea they are exactly the same.

Urban Meyers would never accept the Nebraska job, he turned down his dream job at Notre Dame, because Florida had more talent.

Harbaugh might not be a better coach (or he may be) but he certainly is a better leader. And a better fit for MU than Riley for NU

In college football you have to get "The" coach. Not "A" coach. They did. You can look back at what I typed here then: Michigan got Harbaugh and suddenly they are good.

College is about emotion. When the players know they are playing for "The Man" they will buy in completely. Like huskers bought in for Osborne. Bama for Bryant. KSt. players for Snyder.

• Fire 1

Harbaugh might not be a better coach (or he may be) but he certainly is a better leader. And a better fit for MU than Riley for NU

In college football you have to get "The" coach. Not "A" coach. They did. You can look back at what I typed here then: Michigan got Harbaugh and suddenly they are good.

College is about emotion. When the players know they are playing for "The Man" they will buy in completely. Like huskers bought in for Osborne. Bama for Bryant. KSt. players for Snyder.

Of course he's a better fit. It's his alma mater. All coaches fit at their alma mater. Doesn't always mean they're good, obviously (look at Neuheisel and UCLA), but Harbaugh is up on the level with Saban and Urban. He has the ability to turn teams around overnight, something that not even Saban could do. I mean, he gave USC their first loss at the Coliseum in 6 years back in 2007. Riley is obviously not the kind to turn teams around at the flick of a switch, which is why we need to be patient before we call for his firing. We are 7-2, no way he will be fired after this year. Neither will Banker unless his defense is as bad as last night. Langsdorf and Read could be shown the door and I'd be fine with that. A good HC fires his incompetent coordinators, and we need to see if HCMR can do that first.

I pose the same question about Washington. Peterson has been there 2/3 years? They're in the mix. They look GOOD. He's a great coach w no doubt less talent than M or tOSU. Didn't take him long and Washington was real real bad for a few years.

I pose the same question about Washington. Peterson has been there 2/3 years? They're in the mix. They look GOOD. He's a great coach w no doubt less talent than M or tOSU. Didn't take him long and Washington was real real bad for a few years.

This is his 3rd year. They were 15-12 his first two years. Sark was a pretty good recruiter before him, if only an OK coach and flawed human.

If we could get a good QB like Jake Browning we could make a big jump pretty quickly in the next couple years. Petersen is very good as well.

• Fire 1

Agreed. Nebraska needs to be 3rd in the Big Ten each year in recruiting with 1 "freak" recruit each year.

On a second note, Michigan had a plan and it worked, the timing worked everything set up perfectly for them. It would be like if Frost had been at say, UCF for 5 years and went 6-6, 8-4, 10-2, 11-1, 11-1 and all of a sudden the Nebraska job came open.

If frost does that well at UCF and lasts there 5 years, I'd be shocked if he took a NU job. He'd intelligently take a job in the south or California. If we are going to make a play at Frost, it needs to be within the next two years.
Not that it means much, but one of the big time Oregon boosters I was speaking to back in September stated that Frost's dream job is Nebraska.
I've heard differently. Not sure that Frost wants any part of the "greatest" fans that gave him the Martinez/Armstrong treatment.
  • Fire 1

Harbaugh and Meyer are three levels above Riley and his coaching staff. Nick Saban is one level above Meyer and Harbaugh. This is the simple truth. We had many other choices we could have made. In my opinion, Washington was much smarter than us. They picked a proven winner in Chris Petersen who took Boise State to the next level. We could have brought him to Nebraska for a good price tag. Instead we went for a nice guy who won as much as he lost. Now, we have to settle for the results we are getting. To be honest, I do not mind losing when we compete. The Wisconsin game was tough to swallow but everyone noticed that we competed and we only dropped two spots. The Ohio State game set us back and revealed that we are a pretender unworthy of the top ten ranking. Having said that, if our guys regroup and win out, it will help us build this team and gives us some momentum going into next year. Finishing the season 10-2 is definitely a wonderful turn around although it would have been better if we did not get hammered and embarrassed yet again on the big stage.

Bottom line, we are getting exactly what we paid for. A nice coach who will get us 10-3 seasons at best. I really do not see us winning any conference championships or making the playoffs with this coaching staff. I frankly hope Wisconsin wins out because I would not want us to face whoever comes out of the East. One beat down is enough.

Hope we can beat Minnesota and Iowa, although after yesterday I have some major concerns.

• Fire 3

Harbaugh and Meyer are three levels above Riley and his coaching staff. Nick Saban is one level above Meyer and Harbaugh. This is the simple truth. We had many other choices we could have made. In my opinion, Washington was much smarter than us. They picked a proven winner in Chris Petersen who took Boise State to the next level. We could have brought him to Nebraska for a good price tag. Instead we went for a nice guy who won as much as he lost. Now, we have to settle for the results we are getting. To be honest, I do not mind losing when we compete. The Wisconsin game was tough to swallow but everyone noticed that we competed and we only dropped two spots. The Ohio State game set us back and revealed that we are a pretender unworthy of the top ten ranking. Having said that, if our guys regroup and win out, it will help us build this team and gives us some momentum going into next year. Finishing the season 10-2 is definitely a wonderful turn around although it would have been better if we did not get hammered and embarrassed yet again on the big stage.

Bottom line, we are getting exactly what we paid for. A nice coach who will get us 10-3 seasons at best. I really do not see us winning any conference championships or making the playoffs with this coaching staff. I frankly hope Wisconsin wins out because I would not want us to face whoever comes out of the East. One beat down is enough.

Hope we can beat Minnesota and Iowa, although after yesterday I have some major concerns.

I'd love to see some evidence of this as I'm a big Chris Petersen fan. It's been long rumored the only job he would leave Boise State for was Oregon and when Oregon passed on him for Helfrich he was pretty upset. I do agree that Washington was very smart in getting him to Seattle. I'm just not sure that he would've seriously considered going to Nebraska given he's a Pac NW guy to the bone.

Agreed. Nebraska needs to be 3rd in the Big Ten each year in recruiting with 1 "freak" recruit each year.

On a second note, Michigan had a plan and it worked, the timing worked everything set up perfectly for them. It would be like if Frost had been at say, UCF for 5 years and went 6-6, 8-4, 10-2, 11-1, 11-1 and all of a sudden the Nebraska job came open.

I think Frost is a little ahead of schedule at UCF. Watched a couple of their games. Had Maryland and Houston on the ropes. Looks like he will have a winning record his first year. Not bad for a team that lost all their games last year. Not the toughest conf he's in, but he is winning. I think he is our next coach, at least I hope so.We are not going to hand out a pile of money to get "Thee" hire everyone wants. I don't know who that would be anyway. Frost still wants this job, don't care what people think they hear. Worked for Mich, just might work for Neb.

GBR!!!

• Fire 2