Why are a Lot of Us Giving Up?

I am 49 years old so I have seen the highs and lows of this program. I scream and yell when I think things are going right or going wrong. What i don't do is pretend to know better then someone that has been in the coaching business for more than 30 years. I can remember all the preseason chatter and NOBODY thought we could win this game. I would say 90% of this board felt we would lose to Wiscy and OSU. In fact, most of this board thought we would also lose to NW and Minn. So again, it is only the second loss of the season, wait until it is all played out before you whine and cry about your PTSD!!!

I don't think anyone purports to know more than the coaching staff. What people do know is that the same mistakes are made, and unsuccessful play calls occur over and over again.

No, we don't know what the offensive strategy or game plan is. But we do know that handing off to Newby between the tackles on first down, over and over, is not producing results. Or maybe the defensive game plan is to only rush four, but when that plan fails to generate any effective pressure, most people can see that something different needs to be tried.

Maybe all our "internet coordinators" and "armchair QB's" really don't know anything. But they probably wouldn't produce results that substantially worse than what we're seeing right now.

• Fire 1

I am 49 years old so I have seen the highs and lows of this program. I scream and yell when I think things are going right or going wrong. What i don't do is pretend to know better then someone that has been in the coaching business for more than 30 years. I can remember all the preseason chatter and NOBODY thought we could win this game. I would say 90% of this board felt we would lose to Wiscy and OSU. In fact, most of this board thought we would also lose to NW and Minn. So again, it is only the second loss of the season, wait until it is all played out before you whine and cry about your PTSD!!!

I don't think anyone purports to know more than the coaching staff. What people do know is that the same mistakes are made, and unsuccessful play calls occur over and over again.

No, we don't know what the offensive strategy or game plan is. But we do know that handing off to Newby between the tackles on first down, over and over, is not producing results. Or maybe the defensive game plan is to only rush four, but when that plan fails to generate any effective pressure, most people can see that something different needs to be tried.

Maybe all our "internet coordinators" and "armchair QB's" really don't know anything. But they probably wouldn't produce results that substantially worse than what we're seeing right now.

Let's throw Langsdorf off the table, cuz he's bad.

Are you saying that anybody who is knowledgeable about football could go in and take over a blue blooded program? Cuz if that's what you're saying, then go right ahead, there's a vacancy at LSU right now.

Folks are free to have there own perception and desires. No worries here. I've had the believe all year that we would be 8-4 with a realistic chance of going 7-5. Thankfully, TA has played well against the lesser competition. The game against OSU is the only game that I was disappointed in the overall effort. Most folks are frustrated because to win this game would have kept us relevant the rest of the season and made the remaining games even bigger along with helping the recruiting momentum.

Now, we are just exposed as "pretenders". I've felt all year that we were around the 25-35 best team in the country. With a weaker schedule and a bit better play by TA we have been ranked higher. I don't take this loss hard at all. I believe that Riley can get the kids refocused and we have a good chance to go 3-4 with what we have left. Personally, I won't be disappointed with 8-4 ... but that is just me. I've always believed that we are still 3-4 years away and since we can't seem to really turn the corner on recruiting I've got no "big things for the program in the near future" in my eyes or heart.

Keep your heads up guys. Still plenty of changes need to occur in our program and it has yet been proven if Riley will get all the right coaches to really turn this thing around. Lets stay positive and root for these kids to play with lots of heart the rest of the year.

That is a loser mentality!

Are you saying that anybody who is knowledgeable about football could go in and take over a blue blooded program? Cuz if that's what you're saying, then go right ahead, there's a vacancy at LSU right now.

Sure, go ahead and take it to that level. Try to make a reasonable post and someone always has to take it that level "well then go get the job at U of ?" I'm trying to explain why people are constantly clamoring for different game plans. It goes on in every fan base where on field results are less than stellar.

But it's my fault for wording it that way.

But apparently you know more than some too, since you've declared Langsdorf as bad.

• Fire 1

I don't think we are giving up, but it's discouraging to see NU suffer the 2nd worst loss (in terms of scoring margin) in program history. After last year's debacle of a season, a lot were encouraged by the start of this year's team. But, last night showed how far NU has to go to compete at a top level. That competition is in terms of talent and coaching.

This right here. It's why i also said I don't really want to see us back into the B1G CCG and get stomped. We don't deserve it, and I'd rather we get a shot at an attainable goal (like not losing 4 games).

I can see your viewpoint, saunders. However, I wonder if the Wisconsin fanbase in 2012 thought they deserved to be in the B1G CCG or believed winning it was an attainable goal?

That Wisconsin team didn't get blown out by 60 points. They lost 4 games by a FG (2 in OT) and 2 by 1 TD (1 in OT). They were in every game to the very end.

That's a strong contrast. This Nebraska team still has everything in front of it for this season. The problem going forward is that the OL is a disaster, nothing to argue about here, so how do you design your offense in spite of your front five? There are other real questions, but I think this is the starting point.

I don't think we are giving up, but it's discouraging to see NU suffer the 2nd worst loss (in terms of scoring margin) in program history. After last year's debacle of a season, a lot were encouraged by the start of this year's team. But, last night showed how far NU has to go to compete at a top level. That competition is in terms of talent and coaching.

I don't think the coaching is nearly as bad as many people think. We simply don't have the talent to compete with the Ohio St's and Alambama's of college football and our offensive line is really banged up. It's hard to win games when your line is trashed.

Same thing as people said under Callahan.

Player blaming doesn't wash when you have the third best roster in the B10 and 25th or so in the country.

2011 Clemson goes 10-4 with a blowout loss to West Virginia in the Orange Bowl. Dabo fires Steele. A HC, often times needs to assess the situation at hand and see what changes if any need to be made. Clemson also hire Venables as D.C. and Chad Morris as OC and made them the highest paid coordinators at the time. It worked.......

I'm not sold, nor have I been on Riley and company. This season, cautiously optimistic. Langs lost me 4 games ago. He has no idea what to do against an aggressive attacking D with equal or better athletes. I acknowledge OSU has better athletes, but not 59 points better. No way in hell. They have a great staff, development and attitude. We got out coached plain and simple. Wisky took them to OT. PSU beat them. We gave up 62 points......no way are our kids that out classed. Historically, Riley has always dropped an interesting one. I figured it would be to Wyoming or Purdue. That one team that is not "near as good as NU". I also figured we'd lose to Wisky or OSU pre-season. I didn't think the clunker game would be against a top 10 team that would hang 62 points on us, have our 2 qb's go 9-33, give up 34 first downs, get 78 yards on 24 carries, 204 total yards offense while giving up 590 total yrds....... That looked like the product of a team that had no clue what to or how to do its job......

I'll still cheer them on. I'll hope for Wisky to lose another and for us to win out, but I don't have to agree we are in the right direction, say wait until they get their guys etc or be less than a "real" fan...

The whole Dabo thing makes me upset. He was the interim in Bo's first year and it looked like he was in over his head. But he figured it out. Bo never did, and if last season is any indication Riley will make changes needed. If we don't see any major improvement from the ST coach he needs to go. It's horrible.

Wiscy has had a consistent foundation on both OL and DL, with darn good RBs, for the last two decades. They have been able to reload, we have to rebuild before we can reload.

The weak link in the staff last year was cut loose, I'll give Riley the offseason to correct some issues and push forward. I don't expect DL to be let go, but if Bruce Read isn't, I'll question what the heck he is doing.

We are a few seasons away from being where we all want to

be, but if it's not Riley coaching the program, what he is doing now is setting us up for more stability in the future.

We were destroyed by a team that has more talent and team speed and a coaching staff that is better at recruiting and prepping for a game.

We struggled in some early games because of the same problems. Its just that Ohio State saw the weaknesses and had the team talent to take advantage. The O line has been weak and ineffective all year and seldom dominated the line of scrimmage. I can't recall them getting to the outside routinely and sealing the edge. They are also slow. Ohio State ran past them all night. How many times did you see a Husker runner headed toward the sidelines and being met by 3-5 Buckeyes? The Husker linemen were usually standing on their feet and watching from a distance.

We don't have a QB either. Armstrong is a gifted athlete but not a championship thrower. We had the same issue with Taylor Martinez. Armstrong would have been a great option QB in the old days of Osborne. We don't have the linemen for running or pass blocking in any event. I hope we win out but we are not a top 20 team. Maybe next year- the recruiting news sounds hopeful.

Can't say that I've given up, but last night was VERY discouraging. A 62-3 beat down isn't just a fluke and doesn't just happen out of nowhere.

It isn't just the talent gap that allowed the Buckeyes to dominate last night. Urban Meyer and other successful coaches' teams capitalize when handed a gift. When they get a turnover they're ready to score and a field goal is an after thought. On the other hand when OSU muffed a punt and we got the ball deep in their territory we didn't capitalize and make them pay. I don't know if he coaches those types of killer instincts, looks for that in recruits, or a mixture of the two, but the Huskers have lacked it for quite a while.

• Fire 1

This right here. It's why i also said I don't really want to see us back into the B1G CCG and get stomped. We don't deserve it, and I'd rather we get a shot at an attainable goal (like not losing 4 games).

I can see your viewpoint, saunders. However, I wonder if the Wisconsin fanbase in 2012 thought they deserved to be in the B1G CCG or believed winning it was an attainable goal?

That Wisconsin team didn't get blown out by 60 points. They lost 4 games by a FG (2 in OT) and 2 by 1 TD (1 in OT). They were in every game to the very end.

That's a strong contrast. This Nebraska team still has everything in front of it for this season. The problem going forward is that the OL is a disaster, nothing to argue about here, so how do you design your offense in spite of your front five? There are other real questions, but I think this is the starting point.

Misdirection, bubble screens, short passes to start.

Give up the slow developing stretch plays and deep outs in the passing game.

Guys are bitching that we didn't write a check for 5 or 6 million a year for a better coach. Now we are going with the concept of grabbing some idiot off the street and he could do as good??? interesting.... I guess we will be glad that we are only spending 60k a year.