Why are a Lot of Us Giving Up?

Let's keep in mind that when we played OSU, we played them at the exact wrong time to play them. They have a "kill everyone" mentality now in their fight for a playoff spot. Sure, we got punished by them. But they came into that game with way more fire than we did. If we had more fire or they had less, the game may have not been by more than a few scores.

Losing isn't the issue that i think bothers most. Its getting ran out of town against Top 10 teams on prime time that has people questioning any coach or coordinator.

Talent gap right now is glaring. Sure most will raise a fist and say"Were Nebraska, we have talent" and point fingers at the coaching. Talent is improving, but miles behind Ohio St and Michigan. Might even be behind Penn St. Gold standard in recruiting is Michigan and Ohio St for Big 10.

WR's are not even close to game changers. RB's are not capable of busting long runs against above average defense's. CB's can't cover true speedy athletes. Not saying that each of those positions don't have talent, but not enough game changers. I wonder even if TA is considered to really be a game changer? Cupcake scheduling is never a real advantage for any team, but it happens. Will Riley ever recruit Big 10 caliber stud players? I doubt that because he is still recruiting Pac 12 style players from the West coast. Need rugged players from midwest states and Texas if your going to make dent into Big 10 landscape.

• Fire 2

Losing isn't the issue that i think bothers most. Its getting ran out of town against Top 10 teams on prime time that has people questioning any coach or coordinator.

Talent gap right now is glaring. Sure most will raise a fist and say"Were Nebraska, we have talent" and point fingers at the coaching. Talent is improving, but miles behind Ohio St and Michigan. Might even be behind Penn St. Gold standard in recruiting is Michigan and Ohio St for Big 10.

WR's are not even close to game changers. RB's are not capable of busting long runs against above average defense's. CB's can't cover true speedy athletes. Not saying that each of those positions don't have talent, but not enough game changers. I wonder even if TA is considered to really be a game changer? Cupcake scheduling is never a real advantage for any team, but it happens. Will Riley ever recruit Big 10 caliber stud players? I doubt that because he is still recruiting Pac 12 style players from the West coast. Need rugged players from midwest states and Texas if your going to make dent into Big 10 landscape.

yes sir!

Interesting that a lot of you talk about his history at Oregon State, but if I recall was everyone freaking out on the day he was hired because nobody knew who he was at the time. We got hammered by a team with better athletes that had a chip on their shoulder because they felt disrespected. We didn't have a chance once that tipped pass was taken to the house. As I have said before, everyone expected us to lose this game prior to the start of the season and I haven't seen anything during the season that should have changed any minds. It was only the 2nd loss of the season. We win out we go 10-2. RELAX!!

I've been a Husker fan for as long as I can remember and this was by and far the worst offensive football game I have seen the Huskers play. I don't think any of us are truly giving up but after last year and the whooping Saturday night and the fact that we haven't beaten a ranked team on the road since 1999 (the AFLAC question of the game). It is disheartening to say the least and as others have said, I hope we don't make it to Indy this year. Two crushing defeats on national TV in one year would destroy any hope for recruitment for several years.

• Fire 1

Interesting that a lot of you talk about his history at Oregon State, but if I recall was everyone freaking out on the day he was hired because nobody knew who he was at the time. We got hammered by a team with better athletes that had a chip on their shoulder because they felt disrespected. We didn't have a chance once that tipped pass was taken to the house. As I have said before, everyone expected us to lose this game prior to the start of the season and I haven't seen anything during the season that should have changed any minds. It was only the 2nd loss of the season. We win out we go 10-2. RELAX!!

Riley is a great 8-4 coach but he will never get us a conference or national championship. Just look at his history. Remember what Yogi said about "nice guys". 10 and 2 will be much better than 6 and 7 but it still isn't being competitive on the national stage.

• Fire 1

When you lose 62-3 and fall behind in the conference standings, it kinda feels like the rest of the season doesn't matter. At least that's how I'm feeling I guess.

We controlled our own destiny and were on pace for a special year. Then BAM, we got humbled to the point I'm just looking forward to next season.

• Fire 2

I'm not sure what we're "giving up" but I am and was absolutely devastated by the loss. I have read your posts throughout this thread and I agree with you, before the season I never thought we'd beat OSU, I might have even thought we'd get blown out. I was thinking 8-4. Hoping for 9-3 but the way the season progressed and especially the way the game against Wisky went even I, the guy who almost always finds something to be nervous about going into games was fairly confident that our days of being blown out on national television were finally over. That Wisky was there for the taking, and we couldn't quite get there....would light some kind of fire. If we can hang with Wisky and Wisky can hang with OSU.....I dunno...

In short it's the build up, the buy in and then the crushing let down out there for the whole world to see.....yet again that was so devastating.

To truly be competitive on the National level, you have to recruit in the top 5 to 10 for 5-7 years. He is responsible for two, so he has a few to make it up.

I remember a couple of crack pots saying we would go 12-0 this year, but most had us at losing 3 and possibly 4. Not a single person being realistic had Nebraska beating Ohio State on August 31.

We got curb stomped, but it has happened before, and guess what, it will most likely happen again. We all want Nebraska to win, but some are only concerned about winning.

The kids, nor the staff are the level of Ohio State, Alabama and a few others. Get over it and enjoy the games we have left. The off season is rapidly approaching. We win out is all we can ask for. I am not looking for some miracle to happen and back into the CCG. We do not belong there, it was quite obvious last weekend. Finish strong, go to a descent bowl and have a row of positives to build on.

• Fire 1

If "you have to recruit in the top 5 to 10 for 5-7 years" is a condition precedent to competitiveness at the national level, then NU will never be competitive at that level again.

Personally, I don't believe that's true.

And i'm really tired of people framing things as "we don't deserve this or that" on behalf of the team. The team deserves whatever they earn, including a berth in the CCG if that's what happens. Reminds me of people's hand wringing around NU making the NC in '01.