Trump's cabinet

^Yeah, when I read that Stephen Miller said that, it struck me as a really, really bizarre comeback.

There's a possibility that it's not an active wink so much as something Miller parrots based on his reading material. At some point, does the distinction matter?

That is funny because I saw the comments blowing up on this. I found the video and watched it and I stopped the video after hearing him use cosmopolitan as a insult of some sort. I had to look up the definition to make sure the definition I thought it had was right. The word seemed odd, but I couldn't figure out why.

• Fire 1

Yeah, and I think part of that is also that it's not really this commonly used term...or a pejorative, really, being that it means "free from provincial prejudices and attachments". But he went with the full scold as if it were the most obvious and well-deserved scold in the world. It's sort of like how we'll hear people rail against "the intellectual elite", but instead of on the anti-fact dimension, it's on the anti-diversity one. (Relatedly: https://www.vox.com/policy-and-politics/2017/8/4/16091406/raise-act-diversity-trump)

It's a somewhat worrying glimpse into the minds of our administrators.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/nationworld/politics/ct-chief-of-staff-kelly-trump-tweets-20170807-story.html

I was wondering when this was going to come out as a priority for the new WH chief of staff. After skimming this article, I don't have much optimism that Kelly will be able to tame Trump's tweeting or control the random influences that seem to derail the POTUS from making any progress.

While Kelly isn't vetting every presidential tweet, Trump has shown a willingness to consult with his chief of staff before hitting "send" on certain missives that might cause an international uproar or lead to unwelcome distractions, according to three people familiar with the interactions. Kelly has been "offering a different way to say the same thing," one person said.

Trump has made it clear, however, that he reserves the right to ignore advice on tweets.

• Fire 2

https://thinkprogress.org/white-house-adviser-says-people-should-stop-criticizing-white-supremacists-so-much-ddd587767d60/

Former Breitbart editor and current intelligence analyst under the National Security Advisor (for which he has no background or qualifications) and deputy assistant (whatever this means) to the President Sebastian Gorka on how we're really just focusing too much on the white supremacists:

It’s this constant, “Oh, it’s the white man. It’s the white supremacists. That’s the problem.” No, it isn’t, Maggie Haberman. Go to Sinjar. Go to the Middle East, and tell me what the real problem is today. Go to Manchester.

A bit more about Gorkap; something we've all covered here months ago but which I at least had forgotten about: https://thinkprogress.org/why-did-everyone-stop-asking-sebastian-gorka-about-nazis-91236f795dc4/

Gorka has denied that he is a sworn member of the group, known as Vitézi Rend, but the group itself disputes that denial. Gorka wore a Vitézi Rend medal to Trump’s inaugural ball and his ties to the group reportedly stretch back decades.

Steve Bannon misrepresented his military service to justify his egregiously anti-Muslim posture?

It seems possible that Bannon may have consciously or subconsciously transposed the non-Muslim crowd he saw in Hong Kong and turned it into a Muslim crowd he did not see in Karachi. This raises the question of whether Bannon’s underlying anxiety arises less from a threat purportedly presented by Muslims and more from a general anxiety about non-white foreigners, whether Muslim or Buddhist or any religion

But

“He is a former naval officer,” said White House spokesman Sean Spicer at the time. “He’s got a tremendous understanding of the world and the geopolitical landscape. … Having the chief strategist for the president in those meetings who has a significant military background to help make — guide — what the president’s final analysis is going to be, is crucial.”

Just what kind of quality of judgment do we have in place at the White House?

• Fire 1