The 2020 General Election

I would absolutely vote for a Rubio/Rand Paul ticket (shocking, perhaps, since so many here claim for me that I'm a liberal).

No shock at all. I also think they will be much wiser in 4 years - with 4 more years of experience. (Assumption being Trump is one and done - going on to 'better things'.) I'm not sure Pence is that motivated to be President. Many had wished he run this time around and he turned it down. There is a lot to like about both of them. While Rand is conservative and Sanders is a liberal - they both appeal to similar constituencies for different reasons. The Libertarian side of Rand Paul and his anti interventionist, anti-big bank/federal reserve side is appealing to many (including myself) across the political spectrum. Rubio is articulate, smart and willing to compromise when needed (not a hard head like Cruz in that regard). Securing Florida in 2020 is important and Rubio just won again in that state.

I hope in 2020 the repub candidate list is much smaller and I hope the Dems allow for real competition.

Actually as a liberal, Rubio was one of the guys I liked from the Republican field at the start of this cycle.

My only problems I've developed with him since then are I found out he has some very harsh pro-life views that I don't personally agree with (hate away conservatives :lol:) and his craven support of Trump. I'm sorry, but you look like a spineless jackass when you call a guy a con man who can't be trusted with our nuclear codes and then come out and fervently support him and vote for him when you decide you want your Senate seat back.

I lost a lot of respect for him there, so I don't know if I could vote for him in the future. But when you dig into just the policy, in a lot of ways he seems like a reasonable dude.

Was just thinking, after Trump actually has a bunch of political decisions he'll have to defend, I wonder how the next election will go. He's going to have to stand by the choices he's making to place all of these political insiders in top positions, and the huge companies he's considering allowing to be major influences. This was a huge part of what he claimed to be running against.

On the flip side, his supporters seem to have believed every lie he told in this election, so maybe he'll just say he didn't do any of that.

Oh, the delicious irony. Millions fiercely decried the TPP, mostly on the basis it was the elites and the corporations writing it for their benefit against the best interests of the people, and now those same elites and corporatist types are being placed into positions of leadership in the new administration. I hope none of the Trump true believers try to say we didn't warn them.

And, as for what he'll have to defend in 2020, the last time we had a Republican president and Congress, it earned us a couple horrible wars and economy that helped mostly the rich until they got too greedy and crashed the housing market.

Would any of us not take W in a heartbeat right now? I honestly think of Trump, in all of his ignorance about issues, as moldable clay for whomever is advising him at the moment. And so for, those advising him are NOT the best people.

Make America Great Again, indeed.

It is possible that Trump is a far better man than those surrounding him -- those who are giddily seeking power, eager to implement an agenda Trump surely has only a weak understanding of.

If you want admire Trump the man and want us all to get away from making personal charges about him, there's my argument.

Trump will say to keep the ACA if he meets a man who tells him to. Unfortunately, Obama is powerless. The men in charge are Paul Ryan's band.

Trump may sign onto climate initiatives if he's told that this is necessary by scientists. Unfortunately, his EPA transition team head is a climate denier.

Trump seems to personally have zero problem with LGBT folks. Again, wish we could say the same for the people who are going to be running and influencing his administration.

I feel, perhaps charitably, that Trump could reverse more positions wholesale in the face of a persuasive argument. However, he has cut off all avenues to that, perhaps unwittingly, and surrounded himself with people who are committed true believers in the opposite direction.

And that is still dangerous.

• 3 months later...

Bob Iger 2020!

Disney CEO Bob Iger already runs the world's most successful media company. But could his impeccable mogul credentials carry him to the Oval Office?

Sources say Iger has told friends he is considering their nudges that he make a run for president in 2020 as a Democrat. There’s a hitch. Any political future would hinge on Iger, 66, finding a Disney successor, of course. (Complicating matters, in February, he told financial analysts he would be "open" to remaining as CEO after his contract ends in June 2018.)

Sources add that he has since consulted with former New York Mayor Michael Bloomberg about making the leap from the board room to high office (Bloomberg served as mayor of the nation’s largest city from 2002-12 despite no prior public service).

Iger has plenty of friends in high places within the Democratic party. Former Vice President Al Gore told THR in January that he counts fellow Apple board member Iger among his closest Hollywood friends. A number of politically plugged-in industryites say they would welcome an Iger-led Democratic ticket. Others point out that President Trump, though wildly unpopular in Hollywood, has paved the way for a businessman who has never held public office to become the leader of the free world.

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/rambling-reporter/will-disneys-bob-iger-run-president-2020-hollywood-friends-are-nudging-981626

screw both the republican and democratic parties. neither seems interested in anything other than demonizing the other party.

Can't get anywhere without their nomination though. That's why Bernie ended up being a not-so-proud member of the Democratic Party for a full 14 months.