Trump's America

zoogs

Science and 'religious freedom' in Trump's America

On Friday,

News Corp reported that Snelling’s Grand Canyon research project had been approved after he agreed to drop a lawsuit against the national park’s administrators.

Snelling had sued the US Department of the Interior in May alleging religious discrimination after his proposal to remove 50 to 60 “fist-sized” rock samples had initially been rejected for lacking scientific merit.

His lawyers argued the park violated a recent Donald Trump executive order expanding religious freedom, while Snelling told the Australian that the administrators “turned me down because­ they didn’t like the question I was asking”.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2017/jul/07/australian-creationist-uses-trump-order-to-get-permission-to-take-rocks-from-grand-canyon?CMP=fb_gu

:(

http://www.cnn.com/2017/07/12/politics/trump-prayer-photo/index.html

"We similarly prayed for President Obama but it's different with President Trump," Moore said. "When we are praying for President Trump, we are praying within the context of a real relationship, of true friendship."

I have no problem with people praying for Trump, but it's a good thing God doesn't care whether they like the person they're praying for.

On a related note here's a big list of bogus stories about Obama's religion, Obama cancelling national prayer day, Obama excempting Muslims from the ACA, etc.

http://www.factcheck.org/2017/01/eight-years-of-trolling-obama/

• Fire 1

What a horrible person that is.

That's my whole issue with "religion". Under the guise of gifting someone by praying for them, but you still position some better than others. More deserving of better prayers. Not Christian. Not kind. Not considerate. Not honest. So your prayers for "friends" resonate differently than those you put in for the POTUS? Disingenuous and slimey.

I don't understand why people say "Obama was a Muslim!" As a criticism of him. First of all is this substantiated by any evidence? Secondly is that really a problem if he was? Isn't freedom of religion in the very first amendment to the Constitution? Like what kind of criticism is that?

http://www.cnn.com/2017/07/14/opinions/paul-ryan-congress-dress-opinion-robbins/index.html

I don't know how Paul Ryan wound up on the other side of this story, but good for him!

I also don't know who Mel Robbins is, but I hope we remember the next time she opines about anything that she once said this:

Professionalism in public office is under an unprecedented attack, both by the public and politicians. Maybe if Greg Gianforte had been wearing a suit on May 24, he wouldn't have felt as free to assault a reporter in the then-candidate's office

She loudly proclaims herself to be a feminist here, which I find extremely hard to believe given that she penned this entire spiel without once recognizing the obvious gender disparity of the rule, a disparity which was the entire topic to begin with. Is she being intentionally obtuse? It wasn't a man being turned away for wearing a polo, which she for whatever reason does bring up. Oblivious or outright disingenuous, I can't tell. It's hard to give the benefit of the doubt.

To this my comment is, wearing a suit doesn't equal professionalism. You can put lipstick on a pig.

Mr. Trump requires his staff to wear a suite & tie at all times (including his sons) and for women to dress "for the job". Yet I'd point out that their administration has been called by all (R & D alike), undisciplined, unprofessional etc. Many of us would certainly choose other words to describe them, but dress code has never been a problem. (Side note: sleeveless seems to be ok inside the WH and within the Trump family).

BUT - my spin on this, and it's based on a past experience I had in a somewhat conservative work place. I don't think women should be sleeveless or wear open toed shoes (unless it's business casual, and even then you wouldn't see me in them). Now when I look at reporters now days there doesn't seem to be much other than sleeveless, so I'm not sure how that plays out in DC., but in my world it's not something I'd do.

I see an inherent flaw in the white smock study.

Attaching the title of Doctor changes it so it's not just about clothing but about the importance of the job - i.e. people can live and die based on whether a Doctor is paying attention.

In doing it this way they didn't prove it was the clothing. The possible confounding variable of "job title" was in the study which means they didn't prove it had anything to do with the clothing. Maybe people told they're Doctors before doing a task perform it better than people told they're artists regardless of what they're wearing. Maybe if you dressed everyone in the study in a clown suit, the ones told they're wearing clown suits worn by doctors at a children's hospital would perform the task better than would those told they're wearing clown suits worn by artists. Maybe the ones in Doctor's clown suits would perform the task as well as or better than those in Doctor's white smocks.

Also,

"And in negotiation tests, participants who wore suits got better results than those who negotiated in sweats. Clothes made the difference."

This is a different conversation. Above is how well you do a job that requires paying attention. This quote is about how people perceive you. In some cases that goes hand in hand with how well you're doing the job (e.g. with negotiating as they're saying) but that isn't always the case. For example, I meet with all my clients over the phone. The only effect clothing could have is in how I do my job, not how I'm perceived by the client based on my clothing. That quote is about perception.

• Fire 1