Utter

WVhuskerXX

I'm entirely sick of the bs "cupboard" is bare arguments. It's not supported by any real facts that are usually relied on in these discussions (e.g., recruiting ratings, particularly relative to our opponents).

It's based on lazy inductive reasoning that concludes that bad results mean bad talent because that's more comfortable than admitting that we have an average at best coaching staff.

I've seen this movie before. I really wish Husker fans would quit rebooting it.

Dylan Utter is an undersized, FCS-at-best talent. The simple fact that he hasn't been beaten out by anyone else on the offensive line can be directly correlated to the lack of ready-to-play talent that is available at the position.
I'm not going to comment on talent since the guy has started for 2 years in a row, but 295 is undersized for a FBS offensive lineman?

That's news to me.

I'm not sure if you know this, but more often than not linemen don't come in from high school ready to play. Those guys normally have to be developed.

Given that the average D1 O-lineman in 2014 was around 6'3, 305, then yea, that's undersized.

And I'm not sure you know this, but your second comment just proves mine; if we have a guy in the program that was ready to play at center, then Utter wouldn't be starting. So thanks for that.

10 lbs. lighter.....OK then...... <rolls eyes>

If Cav would give some snaps to some other guys, maybe the high 3*/4* Thurston would still be here.

Or, as much as some of you hate this, maybe the white walkon from Nebraska was just better.

WTF does race have to do with this?
It's kinda the same distaste that many of our fans had for guys like O'Hanlan,Dzuris or Gangwish, or even back to a guy like Josh Davis(not a walk on).
First off, nobody hates O'Hanlan, Dzuris, or Gangwish. People loved O'Hanlan. Only time anyone had any 'distaste' for him was the VT game. He was a hell of a run stopping safety though. Let's throw out two more. Alex Henery and Sam Foltz. Difference between those two and a guy like Utter is they could start for any team in the nation. Utter is more or less playing by default.

I'm entirely sick of the bs "cupboard" is bare arguments. It's not supported by any real facts that are usually relied on in these discussions (e.g., recruiting ratings, particularly relative to our opponents).

It's based on lazy inductive reasoning that concludes that bad results mean bad talent because that's more comfortable than admitting that we have an average at best coaching staff.

Dylan Utter is an undersized, FCS-at-best talent. The simple fact that he hasn't been beaten out by anyone else on the offensive line can be directly correlated to the lack of ready-to-play talent that is available at the position.
I'm not going to comment on talent since the guy has started for 2 years in a row, but 295 is undersized for a FBS offensive lineman?

That's news to me.

I'm not sure if you know this, but more often than not linemen don't come in from high school ready to play. Those guys normally have to be developed.

Given that the average D1 O-lineman in 2014 was around 6'3, 305, then yea, that's undersized.

And I'm not sure you know this, but your second comment just proves mine; if we have a guy in the program that was ready to play at center, then Utter wouldn't be starting. So thanks for that.

If Cav would give some snaps to some other guys, maybe the high 3*/4* Thurston would still be here.

Or, as much as some of you hate this, maybe the white walkon from Nebraska was just better.

It's kinda the same distaste that many of our fans had for guys like O'Hanlan,Dzuris or Gangwish, or even back to a guy like Josh Davis(not a walk on).
First off, nobody hates O'Hanlan, Dzuris, or Gangwish. People loved O'Hanlan. Only time anyone had any 'distaste' for him was the VT game. He was a hell of a run stopping safety though. Let's throw out two more. Alex Henery and Sam Foltz. Difference between those two and a guy like Utter is they could start for any team in the nation. Utter is more or less playing by default.

You remember things differently. O'Hanlon received a lot of disdain from what I recall.

It's always been fine if fullbacks, kickers and punters were white walkons from Nebraska. Not so much for other positions.

That's news to me.

You remember things differently. O'Hanlon received a lot of disdain from what I recall.

It's always been fine if fullbacks, kickers and punters were white walkons from Nebraska. Not so much for other positions.

I admit that I gave Gangwish some grief during his time at NU. Some of it was a playful jab at Power T, some of it was that I wanted "better" and "more talented" players to be starting at DE last year.

I give the walk-ons a lot of credit for working their ass off and committing themselves to become starters or key players for Nebraska. But, when the team or a position is struggling, the coaches deserve criticism for not having someone "better" out there on the field. The coaches are the ones that are recruiting and developing the talent of the players on the field.

That's news to me.

If you don't think that 3 inches short and 10 pounds lighter doesn't make a difference, you don't know much about interior line play.

How big was Aaron Graham? How about Raiola? Or Russ Hochstein? Or Aaron Taylor?

Oh, those guys from the 90s and early 00s aren't reflective of today's game?

Then, how about the AP 1st team all american center last year? He was 6'1, 294 at the Combine.

Reality is, Utter is only about 2 inches shorter and about 5 pound slighter than the average OL. Considering the number of tall and heavy OTs out there, it means he's probably heavier than a bunch of OL in general and definitely in line with other interior linemen.

That's news to me.

I admit that I gave Gangwish some grief during his time at NU. Some of it was a playful jab at Power T, some of it was that I wanted "better" and "more talented" players to be starting at DE last year.

I give the walk-ons a lot of credit for working their ass off and committing themselves to become starters or key players for Nebraska. But, when the team or a position is struggling, the coaches deserve criticism for not having someone "better" out there on the field. The coaches are the ones that are recruiting and developing the talent of the players on the field.

Thanks Pelini.

:lol:

That's news to me.

The criticisms around Josh Davis receiving a scholarship and playing IB were some of the more disgusting stuff I've seen from Husker fans. Whether that was based on his race, I won't venture a guess, but I do know that he was a well regarded recruit out of CO (e.g., he was ranked 12th by Rivals, which would be higher than many highly touted recruits since).

Nebraska’s first oral commitment of the 1999 class, Josh Davis was an all-class all-state (Denver Post) running back for Coach John Poovey. As a senior, Davis rushed for 1,422 yards and 21 touchdowns on 135 carries (9.7 ypc) and scored 31 TDs total. His yards ranked seventh in Class 5A (largest) in Colorado. He led Class 5A in scoring with 160 points and ranked fourth among all classes. He also returned six kickoffs with four going for TDs (long of 89 yards). He also brought back four punts for scores with a long of 93 yards (12 punt returns at 45 yards per return) and caught 25 passes for 595 yards and two TDs. Davis committed in June of 1998 to the school where his father was a standout fullback. Davis was named a SuperPrep All-American and was listed 16th among running backs. He was also No. 4 in SuperPrep’s Midland’s Top 71 team. He ranked No. 12 nationally among running backs by Bobby Burton and 93rd overall. The Tacoma News-Tribune also named him to their Western One Hundred team as the sixth-best running back. Davis earned PrepStar all-region honors and ranked sixth among running backs in the Big 12 Region. As a junior, Davis rushed for 1,100 yards (9.9 ypc) and scored 26 total TDs. He qualified for the state track meet as a sophomore and junior and placed sixth in the 100 meters in 1998 with a personal best of 10.71. His best in the 200 meters is 21.6 (he went on to win this his senior year)

That's news to me.

You played guard, not safety.... You clearly know nothing about O-Hanlon, according to your style anyways.

That's news to me.

If you don't think that 3 inches short and 10 pounds lighter doesn't make a difference, you don't know much about interior line play.

Then, how about the AP 1st team all american center last year? He was 6'1, 294 at the Combine.

Reality is, Utter is only about 2 inches shorter and about 5 pound slighter than the average OL. Considering the number of tall and heavy OTs out there, it means he's probably heavier than a bunch of OL in general and definitely in line with other interior linemen.

Not to mention centers are usually smaller than guards and tackles.

That's news to me.

You played guard, not safety.... You clearly know nothing about O-Hanlon, according to your style anyways.
I wasn't being critical of O'Hanlan, nor was I questioning anyones credentials of football knowledge, thanks for your input.

I think.

That's news to me.

Not to mention centers are usually smaller than guards and tackles.

And there is all that, good job on the last 2 replies.

That's news to me.

I wasn't being critical of O'Hanlan, nor was I questioning anyones credentials of football knowledge, thanks for your input.

I think.

No, you aren't supposed to thank me for that.

That's news to me.

Yeah, I only played OG, what would I know?

I know that leverage is important and getting under the pads of the DL gives you distinct leverage advantage.

So did I. All the leverage in the world won't help if you're underweight and overmatched, which 66 is.

That's news to me.

You serious, Clark?

That's news to me.

Ok, so what would you contribute his consistent poor play to then?

OK...I went back and rewatched all of the Minny game offensive drives and just concentrated on Utter.

1st Drive.

Good run blocking. Got to second level to spring runs.

2nd Drive

Decent pass pro

3rd Drive

1 bad pass pro but most of O line was bad on that play

4th Drive

Bad play that went viral on internet.

Half

5th Drive

1 bad run block

1 bad pass pro but didn't have an affect on play. Still picked up 1st down.

Screen play had block that sprung Newby for TD

6th Drive

4th down and 1 had great push that got the 1st down.

Got pushed back in back field on pass pro once

7th Drive

1 iffy pass pro but still was able to get long pass for 1st down.

8th Drive

1 bad run block

So, out of 60 offensive plays, I found only 7 plays where he had a bad or iffy block. Most of those did not have a negative affect on the play. If we went and looked at any of the other linemen, I'm sure we would find bad plays they have also.

On the flip side, I didn't list them all here, but I found him getting out on screen plays and getting blocks. Several times I found him getting to the second level to block LBs well.

So....no, he isn't going to win the Rimington award this year. But, I fail to see how he is this pathetic player that is destroying any chance we have of winning games.

In no way is there "consistent bad play" by Utter.

The ripping of one player by the fans is ludicrous and just like many things fans complain about, it gets started and just carries on without anyone actually bothering to see if it is actually accurate.

• Fire 4