Utter

WVhuskerXX

Farmer was a top 100 player (#4 guard) and a 4* per your link.

Thanks for posting that support.

Foster had offers from Florida, Georgia, UCLA and others despite being from Nebraska and showing desire to attend Nebraska from an early date.

Again, thanks for supporting my post.

It didn't support your post one bit. Farmer might have been a top 100 player by the end of the year but he wasn't heavily recruited.

Having offers from Florida, Georgia and UCLA doesn't exactly scream highly recruited either.

Gates is the only one that we can say was highly recruited and from some top teams.

Knevel had an offer from Bama and that about sums it up. He did have one from Wisconsin which holds a little weight IMO when it comes to Oline.

It's shocking, sad and humorous how some "fans" will bend over backwards to down our players.

You really are something else.

Where in my statements have I "downed" our players?

Foster had offers from Florida, Georgia, UCLA and others despite being from Nebraska and showing desire to attend Nebraska from an early date.

It didn't support your post one bit. Farmer might have been a top 100 player by the end of the year but he wasn't heavily recruited.

Having offers from Florida, Georgia and UCLA doesn't exactly scream highly recruited either.

Gates is the only one that we can say was highly recruited and from some top teams.

Knevel had an offer from Bama and that about sums it up. He did have one from Wisconsin which holds a little weight IMO when it comes to Oline.

It's shocking, sad and humorous how some "fans" will bend over backwards to down our players.

Don't feed the troll

You're bending over backwards to discredit the players. Specifically, you're calling into doubt their quality as recruits and taking a slanted view against their history of offers.

I thought you may be feigning ignorance but I guess not...

There's another factor to consider about Utter's performance:

https://twitter.com/ThorTripp/status/798221404944662528

I mean, there's reasonable critique of someone's performance and there's bashing a guy. Too much bashing going on here, not enough reasonable critique. And certainly not enough context being taken into account.

Good point. And let's not forget that almost every time it's been 3rd or 4th and 1 and a sneak (thankfully! Where has that been the last 15 years) is called, we get 2 or 3 yards.

Maybe this guy is smash mouth, but he's asked to play the dancing bear game too much.

I'm entirely sick of the bs "cupboard" is bare arguments. It's not supported by any real facts that are usually relied on in these discussions (e.g., recruiting ratings, particularly relative to our opponents).

It's based on lazy inductive reasoning that concludes that bad results mean bad talent because that's more comfortable than admitting that we have an average at best coaching staff.

I've seen this movie before. I really wish Husker fans would quit rebooting it.

Dylan Utter is an undersized, FCS-at-best talent. The simple fact that he hasn't been beaten out by anyone else on the offensive line can be directly correlated to the lack of ready-to-play talent that is available at the position.
I'm not going to comment on talent since the guy has started for 2 years in a row, but 295 is undersized for a FBS offensive lineman?

That's news to me.

I'm not sure if you know this, but more often than not linemen don't come in from high school ready to play. Those guys normally have to be developed.

Georgia Tech has 3 true freshman, a back up junior and a sophomore starting on the OL against a well-regarded Va Tech front. They went for 300+ rushing with a backup QB who was 2 for 7 throwing it.

Georgia Tech hasn't been great this year, but anyone who doesn't believe you can be successful running against "better" teams because you're young or inexperienced or a backup doesn't understand what scheme can do to cover up deficiencies.

Ask yourself this - could the Ohio St staff take this same group of players and get more production out of them?

absolutely. And our previous staff could take it and manage more losses.

Not that it matters because they're no longer here, but the last staff never managed to lose 7 games.

I actually feel kinda bad for this guy right now. We don't know he isn't working his ass off and doing the best he can with his ability. There's nothing more that he can do, and if he's the best we have he's the best we have.

If there was any evidence he wasn't trying, I'd understand the flack a bit better.

If that's the case, and I'm trashing him in this thread, I'd hope I'd have the decency to feel like an ass when I stop to think about what I've said about the guy.

That kind of self-reflection isn't common enough today, unfortunately.

I actually feel kinda bad for this guy right now. We don't know he isn't working his ass off and doing the best he can with his ability. There's nothing more that he can do, and if he's the best we have he's the best we have.

If there was any evidence he wasn't trying, I'd understand the flack a bit better.

If that's the case, and I'm trashing him in this thread, I'd hope I'd have the decency to feel like an ass when I stop to think about what I've said about the guy.

That kind of self-reflection isn't common enough today, unfortunately.

I admittedly laughed at the video of the linebacker knocking him backward (just like I laughed at Cotton being knocked over by the wind) but man it must suck for them if they ever visit message boards. It'd be hard not to look, I'd think.

You're bending over backwards to discredit the players. Specifically, you're calling into doubt their quality as recruits and taking a slanted view against their history of offers.

I thought you may be feigning ignorance but I guess not...

Nope...just proving your stupid ass wrong.

There's another factor to consider about Utter's performance:

https://twitter.com/ThorTripp/status/798221404944662528

I mean, there's reasonable critique of someone's performance and there's bashing a guy. Too much bashing going on here, not enough reasonable critique. And certainly not enough context being taken into account.

Good point. And let's not forget that almost every time it's been 3rd or 4th and 1 and a sneak (thankfully! Where has that been the last 15 years) is called, we get 2 or 3 yards.

Maybe this guy is smash mouth, but he's asked to play the dancing bear game too much.

By "dancing bear", you mean "pass blocking", right?

I'm entirely sick of the bs "cupboard" is bare arguments. It's not supported by any real facts that are usually relied on in these discussions (e.g., recruiting ratings, particularly relative to our opponents).

It's based on lazy inductive reasoning that concludes that bad results mean bad talent because that's more comfortable than admitting that we have an average at best coaching staff.

I've seen this movie before. I really wish Husker fans would quit rebooting it.

Dylan Utter is an undersized, FCS-at-best talent. The simple fact that he hasn't been beaten out by anyone else on the offensive line can be directly correlated to the lack of ready-to-play talent that is available at the position.
I'm not going to comment on talent since the guy has started for 2 years in a row, but 295 is undersized for a FBS offensive lineman?

That's news to me.

I'm not sure if you know this, but more often than not linemen don't come in from high school ready to play. Those guys normally have to be developed.

Given that the average D1 O-lineman in 2014 was around 6'3, 305, then yea, that's undersized.

And I'm not sure you know this, but your second comment just proves mine; if we have a guy in the program that was ready to play at center, then Utter wouldn't be starting. So thanks for that.