Gerry to Play in Senior Bowl

Mavric

• 2 months later...

Sorry, but I view this guy as a disapppointment. Creating dissent last year by not "buying in" and not going to class this year and letting his team down.

Yeah, this seems over-stated. Saying he "created dissent" is an exaggeration.

It seems more likely to me - and has the whole time - that a lot of the reason some guys were having a hard time "buying in" is because our scheme was so bad that when they did what they were "supposed" to do they were getting gashed. And I think changing the scheme this year with much better results but still firing the guy in charge is pretty good evidence of that.

• Fire 1

Sorry, but I view this guy as a disapppointment. Creating dissent last year by not "buying in" and not going to class this year and letting his team down.

I think the whole "buying in" thing was overblown in 2015, but that's just me.

Gerry's INT's against Wisconsin enabled NU to take that game to OT, and he played well the rest of the season. Yes, him not going to class all season is very dumb, but he's only one player on a team of over 100 players.

• Fire 1

It seems more likely to me - and has the whole time - that a lot of the reason some guys were having a hard time "buying in" is because our scheme was so bad that when they did what they were "supposed" to do they were getting gashed. And I think changing the scheme this year with much better results but still firing the guy in charge is pretty good evidence of that.

Maybe we can just list the players that did "buy in"

• Fire 1

It's funny that the players that have been scolded by the fans for not "buying-in" were the best/most talented players on the defense: Collins, Valentine, Gerry. Maybe those guys know what a good defensive scheme looks like and they thought Banker's scheme wasn't that good.

• Fire 1

I don't remember hearing the "no buy in" excuse in the last 4 games of 2015 and the first 8 of 2016.

Maybe buy in just ebbs and flows.

As Mavric put it, it seems pretty obvious that it was more of a staff issue than a player issue, considering that 3 of the 4 original defensive assistants are gone in just 2 years. S&B alluded to this.

I don't remember hearing the "no buy in" excuse in the last 4 games of 2015 and the first 8 of 2016.

Maybe buy in just ebbs and flows.

As Mavric put it, it seems pretty obvious that it was more of a staff issue than a player issue, considering that 3 of the 4 original defensive assistants are gone in just 2 years. S&B alluded to this.

I think that Mav and myself have actually discovered that a sever case of the "Buyinzies" does in face, ebb and flow, basically once you contract the virus it stays with you forever and you can relapse at anytime...From what I have read most common relapses will happen...

1. After an OT loss

2. During a game that you are getting beat badly in

3. During the last game of the season, but, only if it is on the road and you start losing by a lot

4. During a bowl game, but, only if it is against another team that might also have the "Buyinzies" but at a less sever level.

For instance, UCLA had one of the most server cases of the Buyinzies two years ago...while Tennessee only had a minor case.

We don't know a lot about it yet but it appears that next year there will be NO reported Buyinzies at these positions:

QB

FS

SS

LB

DL

WR

• Fire 1