Gerry to Play in Senior Bowl

Mavric

Sorry, but I view this guy as a disapppointment. Creating dissent last year by not "buying in" and not going to class this year and letting his team down.

Yeah, this seems over-stated. Saying he "created dissent" is an exaggeration.

It seems more likely to me - and has the whole time - that a lot of the reason some guys were having a hard time "buying in" is because our scheme was so bad that when they did what they were "supposed" to do they were getting gashed. And I think changing the scheme this year with much better results but still firing the guy in charge is pretty good evidence of that.

Maybe we can just list the players that did "buy in"

It's funny that the players that have been scolded by the fans for not "buying-in" were the best/most talented players on the defense: Collins, Valentine, Gerry. Maybe those guys know what a good defensive scheme looks like and they thought Banker's scheme wasn't that good.

Wasn't that "buying in" quote actually his?

Sorry, but I view this guy as a disapppointment. Creating dissent last year by not "buying in" and not going to class this year and letting his team down.

Yeah, this seems over-stated. Saying he "created dissent" is an exaggeration.

It seems more likely to me - and has the whole time - that a lot of the reason some guys were having a hard time "buying in" is because our scheme was so bad that when they did what they were "supposed" to do they were getting gashed. And I think changing the scheme this year with much better results but still firing the guy in charge is pretty good evidence of that.

Maybe we can just list the players that did "buy in"

It's funny that the players that have been scolded by the fans for not "buying-in" were the best/most talented players on the defense: Collins, Valentine, Gerry. Maybe those guys know what a good defensive scheme looks like and they thought Banker's scheme wasn't that good.

Wasn't that "buying in" quote actually his?

Yes, Gerry did make that comment, but was he actually saying "I wasn't buying in!!!". I thought it was a general comment about the defense overall. But, the players aren't dumb, they probably realized that Banker's D was going to cause some issues with the offenses they were facing, and we saw that on the field.

• Fire 1

Gerry will start making an impact for some NFL team 2 or 3 years from now. He is a good player with good physical tools. No reason why he won't be contributing after a few years with a team.

Westerkamp can be very effective as an NFL WR but only if he gets with the right team (aka QB) He isn't the type of guy who is going to demand a ton of attention on the outside, he needs a QB who is patient and knowledgeable enough to recognize his best tools and utilize them to the fullest.

Gerry will start making an impact for some NFL team 2 or 3 years from now. He is a good player with good physical tools. No reason why he won't be contributing after a few years with a team.

Westerkamp can be very effective as an NFL WR but only if he gets with the right team (aka QB) He isn't the type of guy who is going to demand a ton of attention on the outside, he needs a QB who is patient and knowledgeable enough to recognize his best tools and utilize them to the fullest.

Guys on rookie contracts, especially after the 1st round, are the most desirable players to have on NFL rosters. I wouldn't be surprised if Gerry is starting for a NFL team in his rookie season. It may not be day 1, but eventually in his rookie year.

Guys on rookie contracts, especially after the 1st round, are the most desirable players to have on NFL rosters. I wouldn't be surprised if Gerry is starting for a NFL team in his rookie season. It may not be day 1, but eventually in his rookie year.

I would agree with you. I was being conservative but I share the same sentiment, he will be earning his pay on the field sooner rather than later. But yes rookie contracts are great for teams. If you pick up an instant contributer rather than a project you are going to get better play than what you are paying for 7 times out of 10

But so many posters on here said he wouldn't be good enough for the NFL?!?! I don't know what to believe anymore!!

Did people actually say that? He's easily a top 3 safety in this draft.

Ehhhhh no he's not. He's more of a top 15 safety in the draft...

I guess I didn't realize he was so low in the rankings. I thought he was consistently graded as one of the best safeties in the country throughout the year. I must have gotten some bad info. #FakeNews

But so many posters on here said he wouldn't be good enough for the NFL?!?! I don't know what to believe anymore!!

Sorry my wording there may not have been the best but this is the kind of post I was alluding to. Seems like there's been lots of posts doubting Gerry's talent throughout the year.

I guess I didn't realize he was so low in the rankings. I thought he was consistently graded as one of the best safeties in the country throughout the year. I must have gotten some bad info. #FakeNews

He has been graded as the top college safety on Pro Football Focus, but even with his production it's not translating into a top NFL prospect. Hope he moves up as the draft process continues