College Football Playoff

Mavric

Here's my guess:

1 - Alabama

2 - Clemson

3 - Penn State

4 - Ohio State

I just don't see how the committee can leave out the team that won the best conference in the country, hasn't lost in two months and has beaten two Top 10 teams, including a team that most people think should be in the playoffs. But Penn State gets slotted behind Clemson due to the extra loss, ahead of tOSU because of head-to-head and the committee "penalizing" tOSU's lack of conference championship but making them play Bama.. Ohio State gets the nod because even though they lack the conference title, they fit the committee's criteria for selecting a non-conference champion: that they are clearly a better team with a better resume. tOSU beating the Big XII champion convincingly plus two more Top 10 wins and Washington's lack of non-con makes a pretty compelling case.

This is easy...the 4 are going to stay the same.

Alabama

Ohio State

Clemson

Washington

These teams did what they needed to do. To consider the Big 10 champ game winner one of the playoff teams, they would have had to blow out the other one and that did not happen. Washington blew out their champ game opponent so they are in. When I think of any of the contenders for #4 I don't think they will hang with Alabama anyway. Alabama is in the championship. OSU and Clemson should be good and I give OSU the edge. Saban vs Urban. Compelling TV.

IMO

1. Bama

2. Clemson

3. tOSU

4. Washington

I think PSU having 2 losses with one being a blowout will hurt them. Washington won their conference pretty convincingly. Either way I couldn't argue with tOSU/PSU/Washington being in. Pretty interesting to see what the committee does. Weird thing is if Wisconsin won I think my top 4 would've been a lock.

This is easy...the 4 are going to stay the same.

Alabama

Ohio State

Clemson

Washington

These teams did what they needed to do. To consider the Big 10 champ game winner one of the playoff teams, they would have had to blow out the other one and that did not happen. Washington blew out their champ game opponent so they are in. When I think of any of the contenders for #4 I don't think they will hang with Alabama anyway. Alabama is in the championship. OSU and Clemson should be good and I give OSU the edge. Saban vs Urban. Compelling TV.

Ohio State did what it needed to do? No.

I would go

1) Bama

2) OSU

3) Washington

4) Clemson

with Michigan at 5.

Everyone keeps arguing if Washington should be in, when really I think Clemson should be the team on the edge of their seat. If you look at the entire body of work Clemson lost to Pitt at home, only beat Troy by 6 at home, had to go to OT to beat NC St who missed the GW field goal at the end of regulation, and then they look unimpressive against Va Tech in the conference championship.

As for Penn St, congrats you won the Big 10 championship, you deserve to go to the Rose Bowl which the Big 10 covets anyways. Sorry, but they're not a top 4 team.

Ohio St. absolutely deserves to be in, they destroyed Oklahoma in Norman, beat Michigan, made Nebraska look like a JV team, beat Wisconsin on the road and their one loss is off a blocked field goal taken for a touchdown on the road...

As for Washington, I was impressed with their complete domination of Stanford, beat up a good football team in Washington St at Pullman and dismantled Colorado. One loss is to a USC team who a lot of people believe is one of the 5 best teams in the nation.

The BCS being disbanded was SUPPOSED to get rid of letting non division winners in the mix. Just terrible.

No, the BCS being disbanded was supposed to make way for a playoff that selected the four best teams to play each other. There will never be consensus on this, but it's hard to argue that they're in fact wrong.

People comparing Penn State to OSU is weird to me. Compare them to Washington - that's the team they should be in over. Against OSU, they don't stand up

Penn State's wins:

v #3 Ohio State by 3

v #6 Wisconsin by 7

Ohio State's wins:

v #9 Oklahoma by 21

v #6 Wisconsin by 7

v #5 Michigan by 3

v #24 Nebraska by 59

Edge: Ohio State

Penn State's losses:

at #25 Pitt by 3

at #5 Michigan by 39

Ohio State's losses:

at #5 Penn State by 3

Edge: Ohio State

It's a good thing Penn State didn't beat Ohio State straight up this year. Gheesh... Anywho they did get beat by Michigan but that was early. I still would have liked to see these 2 (Penn St, Michigan) make it as well.

Anyway I just wished it were a 6 team playoff. All kinds of crazy possibilities. An OSU/Michigan rematch. I still think a B1G team would throttle Washington. Hopefully they continue to look into expanding the format as far as # of teams.

It's MUCH better to be arguing about which team is the 4th best than which team is the 2nd best. That is what getting rid of the BCS does. I'm not saying I wanted Ohio State to get in over them, but if Penn State wanted to be in the playoff, they shouldn't have lost 2 games.

Agree with suh that it should be 6 teams.

This year would/should be:

Alabama
Ohio State

Clemson
Penn State
Washington

and an argument about Michigan vs Oklahoma getting the 6th spot

Clemson vs Michigan/Oklahoma -> winner plays Ohio State
Washington vs Penn State -> winner plays Alabama

It's a good thing Penn State didn't beat Ohio State straight up this year.

Head to head results are honestly not all that meaningful except in the case of equal resumes needing a tiebreaker. Remember 2011 Bama/LSU? There's an argument that Bama didn't deserve to make the championship game, that they had their chance, but is there any argument that they weren't the best team in the country that year? None whatsoever.

That Penn State team that lost twice early got better. A lot better. Ohio State lost to Virginia Tech early in their season the year they beat Bama and Oregon back to back to win the national championship. They were on a roll that year and definitely improved just like Penn State has done this year. Bama lost early on last year. Some teams do get better as the season goes on. Some do not. Apparently this notion is lost on some sports fans...