Rivalry Games

Roll Skers

1. Michigan St. NU is 3-2 since joining the B1G and has beaten MSU twice while they were ranked top ten. I think this could/should develop into a bitter rivalry. The seeds for that have been planted.

2. Northwestern. NU is 4-2 since joining the B1G. Most games have been close. Field goal and last second finishes. Not the rivalry that I would want personally, however, the series has been relatively even and the games have been close and exciting.

3. Minnesota. NU is 4-2 since joining the B1G. Minnesota has been coming around, they're getting better. I could see them being a Mizzou-esque team/rivalry.

4. Iowa. NU is currently 3-2 since joining the B1G. We'll see how it goes this week. I think had NU won last year, it would have added some fuel to the rivalry fire. I don't see Iowa as a rival. I don't get the hate. It seems so feigned and forced to me. To me, a rival to NU should be a name brand storied program. Iowa is not that. Seeing them as a rival, means we bring ourselves down to their level. Why force a "border war" with a program that hasn't won anything ever? How does that make NU better?

5. Wisconsin. NU is 1-5 since joining the B1G. This is not a rivalry... yet. I want this to become a rivalry in the worst way. Wisconsin. Nebraska. Big Red Vs Big Red. Wisconsin is a program that I would want to call a rival. They have top ten teams, they have Rose Bowls, they have conference titles, they have NFL talent. They are a program that we would want to try and hold ourselves up to.

As of RIGHT NOW:

1. Sparty - we've played some pretty close games, had an upset, usually one or both of us are ranked, and you can bet that ineligible reciever upset game won't be forgotten about them anytime soon.

2. NW

3. Iowa/Minny - Minny would be a notch above if the evil red-head hadn't played grinch with the trophy.

4. Wisky (now but rising)

5. Penn State I guess...whatever.

I would like it to be

1- Wisconsin

2- Iowa

3- Michigan State

4- Penn State

5- Northwestern

Problem is we haven't held up our end of the deal in a few of these. MSU is really the only team we've beat when we maybe shouldn't have. You gotta have a few like that in a real rivalry. I don't really like Iowa as a rival but they're kinda like CU, fun to beat every year so I'd let them call us their rival and scoff everytime they do. If Purdue or Illinois ever makes the rivalry list for us and you see me out mowing the lawn or something, just shoot me and put me out of my misery. Kinda feel the same about Minny but I actually have some respect for their brand of hard-nosed football.

I've just had a eureka moment. The reason we don't have any rivals is because we aren't good enough to develop a rivalry. We want to be rivals with the better teams but they consistently beat us. Right now, the Purdues and Northwesterns of the world are the only ones we have give and take with.

I've just had a eureka moment. The reason we don't have any rivals is because we aren't good enough to develop a rivalry. We want to be rivals with the better teams but they consistently beat us. Right now, the Purdues and Northwesterns of the world are the only ones we have give and take with.

Riley is well on his way to being 0-4 vs. Iowa and Wisconsin. That's what makes NU in the middle of the pack in the conference.