***Official Iowa Game Discussion Thread***

Mavric

In hindsight, Riley should have rented a QB last year. He's discussed it before, but apparently when he became coach he was inudated with request from dads, programs, probably agents, about kids that wanted to transfer in. At the time of the new coaching staff's transition to Nebraksa, Riley's mentioned he didn't want to integrally alter the team's chemistry and especially given the voliatile dismissal of the previous staff. Even assumming that Tommy was the known starter, having someone to push him would have only made for a better team. But hindsight's 20/20 and maybe these last two seasons were only about transition and next year is the first season that Riley can soley be held responsible for. I have to be honest, I don't really see that we have great athletes like others have mentioned. We seem slow and gimpy- mentally and physically.

In hindsight, Riley should have rented a QB last year. He's discussed it before, but apparently when he became coach he was inudated with request from dads, programs, probably agents, about kids that wanted to transfer in. At the time of the new coaching staff's transition to Nebraksa, Riley's mentioned he didn't want to integrally alter the team's chemistry and especially given the voliatile dismissal of the previous staff. Even assumming that Tommy was the known starter, having someone to push him would have only made for a better team. But hindsight's 20/20 and maybe these last two seasons were only about transition and next year is the first season that Riley can soley be held responsible for. I have to be honest, I don't really see that we have great athletes like others have mentioned. We seem slow and gimpy- mentally and physically.

"Rented' a QB is presumably intended as some sort of snide/funny remark. I am don't see anything funny about not having a back up QB. I don't want to be unduly hard on Fyfe because he is a good young man who has given 5 years of effort and blood sweat and too many tears to be a Husker. But, that being said, he is NOT a second string Big Ten championship caliber QB. This is just not worth debating. He would be a fine 4th stringer and maybe a scout teamer. Nebraska needs several of those who can study hard and simulate the opponents. This is an important role for a guy with a decent arm and book smarts to learn and run on a few practies a new offense. This is a tough job.

I don't care if we use 5 scholarships, (I don't think that is necessary but??) we MUST have a serviceable game manager to play QB for every game. Each game is worth somewhere around $4 million in ticket revenues and of course is worth lots more in the 'big picture'. If we are to be a top program, we must put top players on the field for every snap and certainly at the most important position of QB. Dump three WRs if need be because we can find walk ons to catch passes as d4th stringers too.

"Rented' a QB is presumably intended as some sort of snide/funny remark. I am don't see anything funny about not having a back up QB. I don't want to be unduly hard on Fyfe because he is a good young man who has given 5 years of effort and blood sweat and too many tears to be a Husker. But, that being said, he is NOT a second string Big Ten championship caliber QB. This is just not worth debating. He would be a fine 4th stringer and maybe a scout teamer. Nebraska needs several of those who can study hard and simulate the opponents. This is an important role for a guy with a decent arm and book smarts to learn and run on a few practies a new offense. This is a tough job.

I don't care if we use 5 scholarships, (I don't think that is necessary but??) we MUST have a serviceable game manager to play QB for every game. Each game is worth somewhere around $4 million in ticket revenues and of course is worth lots more in the 'big picture'. If we are to be a top program, we must put top players on the field for every snap and certainly at the most important position of QB. Dump three WRs if need be because we can find walk ons to catch passes as d4th stringers too.

seriously, do you not know what a rented quarterback is?

No, I have never heard the term but would guess you are just being a a-hole and making a snide remark once again being critical of my repeated complaint that we don't have enough QBs on this team. Many seem to justify having one and somehow have no problem with our second and thirds leaving to go somewhere else.

Frankly, exactly what has happened the past several weeks I predicted back in August. Crazy party is there are still many saying we should not be playing our young QB?

No, I have never heard the term but would guess you are just being a a-hole and making a snide remark once again being critical of my repeated complaint that we don't have enough QBs on this team. Many seem to justify having one and somehow have no problem with our second and thirds leaving to go somewhere else.

Frankly, exactly what has happened the past several weeks I predicted back in August. Crazy party is there are still many saying we should not be playing our young QB?

Or he could be referencing the junior college transfer market (or even the graduate transfer market if applicable) and not being snide at all. That was my interpretation.

For those arguing that this is about talent.

Iowa starting OL (per this link):

LT - Walkon

LG - .82 3-star (P5 offers from Iowa and Iowa St)

C - .89 4-star (highly recruited)

RG - .87 3-star (no other offers)

LT - .85 3-start (handful of P5 offers, but none by the traditional B10 powers of Michigan, OSU, PSU, Wisconsin or Nebraska - best offer was probably from Miami)

3 of 5 of them from Iowa (the other two from Ohio). 3 of them are sophomores or younger. None are seniors.

They may be more productive, but I highly doubt they have more raw talent than our group.

Iowa has always churned out good Olineman. It's cause Kirk Ferentz was an oline coach his whole career before becoming the HC at Iowa.

Can someone fill grasshopper in on what a rented quarterback back is?

And grasshopper, go back to beer.

I, also, am unfamiliar with the term "rented quarterback." I can only assume it is a derogatory term for a JC transfer, or someone with only 1-2 years of eligibility.

its more of a derogatory term towards the coaching staff and in this case, towards Pelini. Rather than invest in recruiting and developing a QB from high school, you go out and find an fifth year senior or a Juco to fill a position. In my opinion, teams that habitually rent QB's, do not fare well long term (save for Wisconsin and Russell Wilson) but this was a special situation. Pelini left the QB position thin, thin, thin and as I stated, in hindsight, Riley should have rented a QB last year to provide depth. Again, Riley addressed this topic sometime around the Northwestern game and why he didn't go looking for another QB. Now, I would like to see some rental lineman.