Does this team even care???

Apathy

Craig Bohl? LOL He had his chance here and was fired for the defensive mess which if often pointed to as the downfall of the Husker empire. I am not sure it was fair to blame him but Frank put the blame on Tom's long time staff for his recruiting and on field performance woes when he fired so many of them. This was Frank's worst mistake among many. Hindsight is 20/20 they say but Frank's single biggest failure was recruiting. We were such a powerful draw that literally many of the best players around the country were sending letters, calling, sending film, etc to interest Nebraska in offering them. You could not have had it easier to recruit anywhere during Frank's first 4 years or so. Still, he turned down more talent that Mike Riley can ever hope to bring in.

If the OWH is calling for Riley to be fired, they are fools. Anyone calling for the termination of coaches after this season is just not being realistic. We came within ONE PLAY of playing Penn State for the Big Ten title, a game we maybe could have won, all things considered. We ended up with a decent record and should get a decent bowl. This was as good as any Pelini would have mustered and in the end just as close as Michigan and Ohio State got to the CCG.

Do Husker fans have plenty to be upset about? Yes. Are there issues to be worked on? Sure. Are there any coaching hires/fires that may be needed for next year? Maybe so. We will expect and demand dramatic upgrades in 'special teams' play as that was completely unacceptable. How Riley and Company accomplish this is what they are getting paid very handsomly for. Fail to do so by next fall? Then the AD may have to look at staffing changes. In the end, employees are to do as they are told or will asked to leave. Nobody can be expected to accomplish miracles but basic stuff is rightfully expected and required.

Getting this generation of video game playing techno junkies to excell at something completely physical such as football is another story. Do they care? Well, I would suggest that they most likely don't have the same heart, desire, 'hunger' and so on as a generation or two ago would have. You see it often in the reaction of players after a loss. Often you don't see the real hurt and disappointment and upset that reasonably can be expected following a defeat. You are supposed to really want to win and if you don't you will suffer substantially. This is not often present these days. A difference in the attitudes and mindsets of this day and age presumably.

* handsomely

*excel

Way to cast a freaking broad ass net. I get it, based off your user name I assume you graduated from law school 32 years ago, placing you in the 55-60 age category, but good lord man. You don't know enough about any of these kids to definitively state that they can't EXCEL at a physical sport. Don't have the same heart, desire, or hunger? BS..... I'm willing to be there is the same number of kids that come from broken families, or poverty, and see football as their way out playing the sport today, as there was 30-40 year ago. Hell, there are probably more. But keep on keeping on with the greatest generation spiel. We will be sure to stay off your lawn, Walt Kowalski.

I'm a head coach at a high school, and he is pretty close to spot on in the bolded. It didn't change 30 or 40 years ago either. It changed about 6-8 years ago. And I am not 55-60. I'm 35.

What exactly would you say changed? Players don't have the same heart or desire that they once did?

I would say that is partly true, but it is a terrible by product of wins and losses not meaning as much because of the "participation trophy" generation. We are going through a time in this country where we were/are so afraid to hurt somebodies feelings that we don't allow kids to feel the pain of a loss and therefore the desire to not feel that again is not instilled in them.

It will hurt us far beyond the playing field/court soon, it is going to infect our society.

The PC focus we are on now is the problem. You can't improve if nobody ever tells you what you are bad at because they will be told they are "judging" you. It is an epidemic, and it will change. I hope it is cyclical.

This is not all kids, some still have that fire. It just used to be that the kid without the desire was the exception, now when a kid goes hard everyday and fights to win they are the exception.

My personal perception of (most of) the kids in my high school - assistant coach for football and basketball for 7 years, ref high school basketball - is there are simply too many other things for kids to do. When one thing is over, you move on to the next thing. They haven't put enough work into anything to make it mean enough to them.

It's not that they don't want to win. It's that they don't hate to lose.

Not that I think that applies to the Huskers. The vast majority - if not all - of them have put in so much time, effort and work to get where they all I don't by the "don't care" on that level.

• Fire 1

Craig Bohl? LOL He had his chance here and was fired for the defensive mess which if often pointed to as the downfall of the Husker empire. I am not sure it was fair to blame him but Frank put the blame on Tom's long time staff for his recruiting and on field performance woes when he fired so many of them. This was Frank's worst mistake among many. Hindsight is 20/20 they say but Frank's single biggest failure was recruiting. We were such a powerful draw that literally many of the best players around the country were sending letters, calling, sending film, etc to interest Nebraska in offering them. You could not have had it easier to recruit anywhere during Frank's first 4 years or so. Still, he turned down more talent that Mike Riley can ever hope to bring in.

If the OWH is calling for Riley to be fired, they are fools. Anyone calling for the termination of coaches after this season is just not being realistic. We came within ONE PLAY of playing Penn State for the Big Ten title, a game we maybe could have won, all things considered. We ended up with a decent record and should get a decent bowl. This was as good as any Pelini would have mustered and in the end just as close as Michigan and Ohio State got to the CCG.

Do Husker fans have plenty to be upset about? Yes. Are there issues to be worked on? Sure. Are there any coaching hires/fires that may be needed for next year? Maybe so. We will expect and demand dramatic upgrades in 'special teams' play as that was completely unacceptable. How Riley and Company accomplish this is what they are getting paid very handsomly for. Fail to do so by next fall? Then the AD may have to look at staffing changes. In the end, employees are to do as they are told or will asked to leave. Nobody can be expected to accomplish miracles but basic stuff is rightfully expected and required.

Getting this generation of video game playing techno junkies to excell at something completely physical such as football is another story. Do they care? Well, I would suggest that they most likely don't have the same heart, desire, 'hunger' and so on as a generation or two ago would have. You see it often in the reaction of players after a loss. Often you don't see the real hurt and disappointment and upset that reasonably can be expected following a defeat. You are supposed to really want to win and if you don't you will suffer substantially. This is not often present these days. A difference in the attitudes and mindsets of this day and age presumably.

* handsomely

*excel

Way to cast a freaking broad ass net. I get it, based off your user name I assume you graduated from law school 32 years ago, placing you in the 55-60 age category, but good lord man. You don't know enough about any of these kids to definitively state that they can't EXCEL at a physical sport. Don't have the same heart, desire, or hunger? BS..... I'm willing to be there is the same number of kids that come from broken families, or poverty, and see football as their way out playing the sport today, as there was 30-40 year ago. Hell, there are probably more. But keep on keeping on with the greatest generation spiel. We will be sure to stay off your lawn, Walt Kowalski.

I'm a head coach at a high school, and he is pretty close to spot on in the bolded. It didn't change 30 or 40 years ago either. It changed about 6-8 years ago. And I am not 55-60. I'm 35.

What exactly would you say changed? Players don't have the same heart or desire that they once did?

I would say that is partly true, but it is a terrible by product of wins and losses not meaning as much because of the "participation trophy" generation. We are going through a time in this country where we were/are so afraid to hurt somebodies feelings that we don't allow kids to feel the pain of a loss and therefore the desire to not feel that again is not instilled in them.

It will hurt us far beyond the playing field/court soon, it is going to infect our society.

The PC focus we are on now is the problem. You can't improve if nobody ever tells you what you are bad at because they will be told they are "judging" you. It is an epidemic, and it will change. I hope it is cyclical.

This is not all kids, some still have that fire. It just used to be that the kid without the desire was the exception, now when a kid goes hard everyday and fights to win they are the exception.

My personal perception of (most of) the kids in my high school - assistant coach for football and basketball for 7 years, ref high school basketball - is there are simply too many other things for kids to do. When one thing is over, you move on to the next thing. They haven't put enough work into anything to make it mean enough to them.

Not that I think that applies to the Huskers. The vast majority - if not all - of them have put in so much time, effort and work to get where they all I don't by the "don't care" on that level.

High school coaches go to a lot of clinics and camps with Division 1 coaches. I'm sure you've been asked, because I know I have been multiple times, "how do you motivate this generation of kids? How do you get a fire under their ass?"

If it isn't a problem, why would they ask?

* handsomely

*excel

bingo. I'm 20 years old and I know alot of kids care more about making money and the "hate to lose" passion is more "hate to be broke" alot of kids at my old high school think sports are fun and that's why they play but are much more devoted towards their futures outside of sports and losing or winning the game isn't that important.

* handsomely

*excel

High school coaches go to a lot of clinics and camps with Division 1 coaches. I'm sure you've been asked, because I know I have been multiple times, "how do you motivate this generation of kids? How do you get a fire under their ass?"

I think it applies to quite a few - possibly even a vast majority - of kids at the high school level. I'm not sure it really applies to the top 1% who've obviously put in the time and effort to be great. At least not to the same extent.

* handsomely

*excel

I think it applies to quite a few - possibly even a vast majority - of kids at the high school level. I'm not sure it really applies to the top 1% who've obviously put in the time and effort to be great. At least not to the same extent.

Fair enough, I for one wish kids would lose the one thing I think is really holding them back from being truly great at anything.

The fear of failure because they have never felt it and don't understand they can pick themselves up and try again after learning from it.

* handsomely

*excel

motivation and desire is something that must be cultivated. No one can cultivate motivation in an individual to one one hundredth of the degree the individual can cultivate it within themselves. I think alot of kids in high school either don't have this figured out yet or are cultivating their desire for something other than football. The motivated football player is going to give so much in exchange for a win when they don't get it, it stings badly. A motivated individual will do the same for the achievement of their goals but things outside of this will be somewhat unimportant, including winning and losing ball games.

* handsomely

*excel

Fair enough, I for one wish kids would lose the one thing I think is really holding them back from being truly great at anything.

The fear of failure because they have never felt it and don't understand they can pick themselves up and try again after learning from it.

If there's anything these kids on this team know (other than the freshmen), it's how to lose, how to keep in the game and how sweet victory is after losing.

* handsomely

*excel

If there's anything these kids on this team know (other than the freshmen), it's how to lose, how to keep in the game and how sweet victory is after losing.

Sorry, I was speaking more about young high school students.

* handsomely

*excel

motivation and desire is something that must be cultivated. No one can cultivate motivation in an individual to one one hundredth of the degree the individual can cultivate it within themselves. I think alot of kids in high school either don't have this figured out yet or are cultivating their desire for something other than football. The motivated football player is going to give so much in exchange for a win when they don't get it, it stings badly. A motivated individual will do the same for the achievement of their goals but things outside of this will be somewhat unimportant, including winning and losing ball games.

And therein lies the unmeasurable with the recruiting "stars". That's why coaches are good (or not) at what they do. The best can find that internal drive in a recruit - a there star with that immeasurable is a diamond in the rough.

And I've been surprised at the number of comments by high school kids referencing how they're working to buy momma a house, or bring in the big bucks. So I think money (sadly) is coming into their goals pretty early on now, and I kinda feel that takes away from their focus on college ... who cares about playoffs when you're shooting to leave early for the NFL as your main goal.

* handsomely

*excel

And therein lies the unmeasurable with the recruiting "stars". That's why coaches are good (or not) at what they do. The best an find that internal drive in a recruit - a there star with that immeasurable is a diamond in the rough.

And I've been surprised at the number of comments by high school kids referencing how they're working to buy momma a house, or bring in the big bucks. So I think money (sadly) is coming into their goals pretty early on now, and I kinda feel that takes away from their focus on college ... who cares about playoffs when you're shooting to leave early for the NFL as your main goal.

agreed, money does come into play earlier now and not just for those looking to go to the NFL. In high school, who cares if you win or lose Friday when you just got a $10,000 check from selling livestock, you're winning already. Not to say that specific scenario happens often but kids more than ever now have real world goals at an early age.

Never thought about the leaving early angle, I think that kind of thinking would result more in some rouge play trying whatever you can to look good for scouts then not being motivated to play though

Im not gonna say they didnt care. I think we're beyond that. But we are dealing with human minds here and it's been an absolute grind. I think we really hit a wall physically and mentally a few weeks ago. We had enough in the tank to squeek one out against Minny, and just overroll a much weaker Maryland, but it all came to a head against Iowa. A team that came ready for a street fight. And all this talk about it not being a rivalry? Better put that sh#t to bed now. We are with Iowa right now where we were with Colorado in about 1989-1990. You better start taking them seriously and not spend a week leading up mocking them and their "no one gives a sh#t" history. It's 2016. Obviously the history doesnt matter. It's a 3-3 deadlock with em now and theyve won 3 of 4, two of which werent close (of course the Bo ppl dont wanna admit the sh#t pushing they gave us at home in 2013. I saw a lot of this after the game)

But enough about Iowa. And back to Nebraska. And what I'm disappointed in is the overreaction by so many to let another one bad game really just derail and shitcan any hope and improvements we've seen. This rebuild is taking time. There was progress in some phases and not so much in others. We were seriously exposed in areas and see greatly what has to be improved. QB play

• Fire 1

But enough about Iowa. And back to Nebraska. And what I'm disappointed in is the overreaction by so many to let another one bad game really just derail and shitcan any hope and improvements we've seen. This rebuild is taking time. There was progress in some phases and not so much in others. We were seriously exposed in areas and see greatly what has to be improved. QB play

I'm assuming you didn't mean to say "another one bad game" so that must be a Freudian slip. ;) How many "another one bad games" does it take to make a trend?

For me, it's definitely not one game. We really only played one pretty good game this year - Wisconsin. Maryland was decent but just totally lacking anything remarkable (except Maryland's TD). We managed to win a good amount of games but we struggled for long periods of most games against fairly weak opponents. And then of course there were the OSU and Iowa games.

So I think trying to play it off as one game is not really looking at things objectively.