So is O'Brien a bust

So who is QB next year? In my humble opinion and I do mean humble TA should have been backup this year. We should have built for the future and he was not the future. It was just more of the same!

I am tired of watching the product on the field!

The talent differences between WI, IA, MI and Ohiop State is so far above NE it just pisses me off!

How would he be considered a bust when he redshirted?

Hindsight being 20/20 it would've been great to get POB ready as the clear #2. He is still here for 4 more years.

I wonder though if the staff looks at Lee as the starter next year and possibility 2018 and didn't want to have an issue with POB as the clear #2 and then get "beat"out by Lee next year....

POB not being ready leads to believe the whole QB whisperer crap was bull sh!t.........If Langs was as advertised, I still wonder how POB couldnt have been ready...

How would he be considered a bust when he redshirted?

Hindsight being 20/20 it would've been great to get POB ready as the clear #2. He is still here for 4 more years.

I wonder though if the staff looks at Lee as the starter next year and possibility 2018 and didn't want to have an issue with POB as the clear #2 and then get "beat"out by Lee next year....

POB not being ready leads to believe the whole QB whisperer crap was bull sh!t.........If Langs was as advertised, I still wonder how POB couldnt have been ready...

Were you at practice and watched him run the offense or even throw the ball? Just because he redshirted doesn't mean the QB whisperer stuff was crap or that he's a bust. He's 18 years old and needed a year to grow and learn the offense. There's nothing wrong with that.
  • Fire 3

Apparently saving the freshman season for POB is worth much more than building for the future. Or, as you suggest, maybe he is a bust. It will be interesting to find out which is true. We should know by the spring game. If POB is not the 'real deal' in April, then we have our answer.

Assuming Gebbia and POB and Lee are all all conference caliber Big Ten QBs next year, and they do have a real QB battle royale to win the job next fall, then arguably we should be even more upset with Riley not playing POB this year. Why not try to win a couple more this year? Armstrong could have been even better had he been able to rest a couple series a game and we could have had a big time passer come in. Armstrong could have run the ball 7 or 8 more carries a game too. All would have helped the offense be much better, even with a mediocre O line performance.

• Fire 1

For me, this topic goes beyond just O'Brien. I think Riley took a calculated gamble this year with roster management. I think the gamble generally worked, but certainly got exposed in the two blowouts. I think the Riley looked towards next season as the start of his era.

Interesting but plausible theory
  • Fire 1

For me, this topic goes beyond just O'Brien. I think Riley took a calculated gamble this year with roster management. I think the gamble generally worked, but certainly got exposed in the two blowouts. I think the Riley looked towards next season as the start of his era.

Riley is definitely playing the long-game with the program. Not saying the long-term isn't important, but I wish he showed some urgency.