Tavita Thompson - 10th assistant?

Okay guys, so we obviously just landed a stud coach to replace Read. Many of us, including myself, thought we should had that job to thompson. Hindsight says we would've been foolish to do so, considering what we ended up landing.

Now, I'm questioning if hiring Thompson this spring if they approve the new job....

I mean, just assume we can get another proven comodity. You have to do it!

Plus, we talk about how great of a job he has done, but has he really? Which TE's has he developed or recruited so far? I know they are young, but there isn't much evidence that he is a great/good coach or recruiter yet...

Discuss.

maybe you should have given yout original assessment more thought

So is this the "Tavita Thompson is a bust thread?" Wow he has been a GA for two years, the players like him and he brings tons of energy to practice. For what he can do recruiting wise as a GA I would say he is doing just fine. He is young and can connect well with the younger recruits as well.

Agreed. But when push comes to shove, do you wanna hire him or a proven excellent recruiter and coach with a track record... that's the question. I agree, TT has done okay in his role.

So is this the "Tavita Thompson is a bust thread?" Wow he has been a GA for two years, the players like him and he brings tons of energy to practice. For what he can do recruiting wise as a GA I would say he is doing just fine. He is young and can connect well with the younger recruits as well.

Agreed. But when push comes to shove, do you wanna hire him or a proven excellent recruiter and coach with a track record... that's the question. I agree, TT has done okay in his role.

Tavita Thompson, he has earned it. What other position coach do we need? Another defensive coach-nope. We need an offensive coach that we can pay a little less after some big spending's with Williams. TT recruits well as a GA so we give him a chance, if he doesn't do well we move on. Also we continue the poly pipeline with him and Philip.

• Fire 1

Only hire a new guy if he is for sure bringing some 5*s with him. Other wise sign Tavita to a one year and see how he does as a full time coach. Give him some recruiting goals and if he doesn't meet them bring in a new guy

Kind of hard to recruit as a GA.

He actually does quite a bit of recruiting. Just couldn't go on the road except last week. But very active with phone/text/social and when the kids are on campus.

I'm aware. Just saying the fact that he couldn't go on the road to visit recruits made it harder for him to recruit. Much easier to build a relationship face to face.

He actually does quite a bit of recruiting. Just couldn't go on the road except last week. But very active with phone/text/social and when the kids are on campus.

I'm aware. Just saying the fact that he couldn't go on the road to visit recruits made it harder for him to recruit. Much easier to build a relationship face to face.

I don't know about much harder - splitting hairs I know. But the coaches do most of their recruiting from Lincoln. None of the coaches get to travel all that much. At least not when they can actually talk to recruits.

I don't know about much harder - splitting hairs I know. But the coaches do most of their recruiting from Lincoln. None of the coaches get to travel all that much. At least not when they can actually talk to recruits.

Summer. Satellite camps. Bye week. Winter break. I realize they aren't making weekly trips just to see a kid but 1 or 2 visits in a year can leave a much better impression than just phone calls. Not to mention he's still a GA. It's not like he can with absolute certainty recruit a kid with the intention of being his coach.

Big gamble to promote a GA to full time position, especially at a program like Nebraska. Tavita put together a nice list of 2017 commitments, but I don't see any of them as a "wow" type prospect; like Vince Marrow pulled when he was a GA. When healthy, Cethan definitely turned out to be a damn good TE, night and day difference under Tavita. Cotton and Foster, no different now than they were 2 years ago. Behind them, no development in 2 seasons. Obviously, we'll find out more in the spring, fall & during the 2017 season.

Is there enough to promote him? IMO, an argument can be made both ways.

• 1 month later...