3-4 Defense - Time to Get Serious

ScottyIce

Guys,

With our current state of recruiting, we need to give this idea a hard look. I believe JP would've played in a 3-4 scheme at San Diego, but I could be wrong. I know Brian Stewart coached a 3-4 Defense in Dallas. Do Banker or Bray have any experience with it?

It just makes sense with our inability to recruit 4-3 DE's.

• Fire 1

this comes up every year about Nebraska going to the 3-4 defense and i dont think people understand the different kind of personnel it takes to run a 4-3 vs a 3-4. I am no expert by any means but looking at nebraska's roster i dont see how it would work, who would play the OLB roll in a 3-4 maybe Freedom but i dont think its something he's ever done before and i dont know if he could move well enough in space. DE's are also asked to do different thinks and are usually built differently than our current DE's, maybe the davis twins or Stolt but then who pays that nose tackle position?

I guess I just don't remember any great 3-4 defenses I've watched in college and as result don't recall who they had for players. Just guessing but woudn't it require someone of Suh's category to play that nose tackle. It seems with just 3 defensive linemen, all of them better be 'double team' type guys to occupy the O line. It would seem to me that just three big guys would be insufficient to stop the power run offenses like Wisconsin and (NU of the past). Teams would likely just chew us up and spit us out. Your LBs are gonna need to be big AND fast both. We don't seem to be able to find those types either - thus Gerry at Safety becomes a leader run stopper. I don't think great run defenses feature safety as the leading tackler spot. Someone please correct me on this as I have seen so little 3-4 I don't feel I am that aware of the pros and cons.

I guess I just don't remember any great 3-4 defenses I've watched in college and as result don't recall who they had for players. Just guessing but woudn't it require someone of Suh's category to play that nose tackle. It seems with just 3 defensive linemen, all of them better be 'double team' type guys to occupy the O line. It would seem to me that just three big guys would be insufficient to stop the power run offenses like Wisconsin and (NU of the past). Teams would likely just chew us up and spit us out. Your LBs are gonna need to be big AND fast both. We don't seem to be able to find those types either - thus Gerry at Safety becomes a leader run stopper. I don't think great run defenses feature safety as the leading tackler spot. Someone please correct me on this as I have seen so little 3-4 I don't feel I am that aware of the pros and cons.

Wisconsin runs a 3-4. And Alabama.
  • Fire 3

Well I don't get to watch many of their games. What types of D linemen are thay putting up front? Often times I see 3 down and a LB or two in two point stance playing in the area of where another defensive linemen or two would be positioned.

I would assume the scheme would be that you try to occupy the o line with three leaving more LBs to attack and make more tackles.

Well I don't get to watch many of their games. What types of D linemen are thay putting up front? Often times I see 3 down and a LB or two in two point stance playing in the area of where another defensive linemen or two would be positioned.

I would assume the scheme would be that you try to occupy the o line with three leaving more LBs to attack and make more tackles.

Here is a good description on the 3-4 (from the NFL), but still holds true. It breaks down the 3-4 1 gap and 3-4 2 gap schemes. It also does a nice job if breaking down the Seahawks and their hybrid DL.

IF we could get the DL some depth, Carrol's hybrid would be nice.

http://www.bigblueview.com/2016/6/7/11840992/ny-giants-defense-34-one-gap-two-gap-hybrid-jpp-olivier-vernon-john-hankins-damon-harrison

• Fire 1

Who is going to anchor at the nose position with our current roster? OLBs could be an issue too. I don't see Freedom being able to rush and play on space, nor any of our current DEs.

I actually think Freedom and Carlos Davis could be good 3-4 DE's. They have good size to play against the run and enough speed to get pass rush.

The hardest positions to find to make 3-4s great are a huge DT to plug the middle and constantly take up 2 blockers and the OLB's. The OLB's have to be big and fast enough to rush the passer, but also have agility to cover the flats in the pass game. There is a reason not too many college teams run a true 3-4. It's really difficult to find the right players at those positions.

this comes up every year about Nebraska going to the 3-4 defense and i dont think people understand the different kind of personnel it takes to run a 4-3 vs a 3-4. I am no expert by any means but looking at nebraska's roster i dont see how it would work, who would play the OLB roll in a 3-4 maybe Freedom but i dont think its something he's ever done before and i dont know if he could move well enough in space. DE's are also asked to do different thinks and are usually built differently than our current DE's, maybe the davis twins or Stolt but then who pays that nose tackle position?

Neal. King. Davis. Many of our DE's are projectable that way actually. Neal was recruited for that purpose at Oregon.