Making America Great Again

This isn't the first time bnilhome has started a thread where he has simply needed everyone to agree with him, or at least get out of the way of those who did.

Equally, in every one of the other threads here are dozens of posts made in fawning admiration of Trump. That's what this forum is here for -- discussion, not unfettered 'information' propagation.

If he wants to argue a particular thing is positive, he should be prepared to back up any arguments he has, rather than play up the victim card. Otherwise, what he's looking for is a zone of total solidarity. I don't begrudge him that. r/TheDonald seems like a good place to start.

This isn't the first time bnilhome has started a thread where he has simply needed everyone to agree with him, or at least get out of the way of those who did.

Equally, in every one of the other threads here are dozens of posts made in fawning admiration of Trump. That's what this forum is here for -- discussion, not unfettered 'information' propagation.

If he wants to argue a particular thing is positive, he should be prepared to back up any arguments he has, rather than play up the victim card. Otherwise, what he's looking for is a zone of total solidarity. I don't begrudge him that. r/TheDonald seems like a good place to start.

Please point to all these other threads where I have made such requests? I will be waiting a long time. I honestly would find it great if you and others would focus more in discussion instead of the constant negativity about Trump or Republicans. That would be highly welcome. Maybe someday you will get there. :)

I don't think it's unreasonable of him to ask for one positive Trump thread amongst the sea of threads talking about how awful he is.

Thanks...you see what you get from Zoogs and others who simply don't have it in them to find anything positive to say about their opposition. I have never been a huge fan of Bill Clinton but have complimented him on here several times, and have done the same for others with opposing views as well. That's the difference you will find between some like Zoogs and his cohorts who simply cannot find any common ground or openness to recognizing someone with opposing views. It's unfortunate but that is the nature of the world we live in now.

• Fire 1

For what it's worth Bni ... I want nothing more than to say after 4 years that I was totally wrong about Trump. Truly. Haven't seen reason to hope that he can pull it off though. His picks for cabinet positions are very disappointing and his comments and actions over the last 4 weeks has only positioned him as a poor representative of the US for many of us.

For what it's worth Bni ... I want nothing more than to say after 4 years that I was totally wrong about Trump. Truly. Haven't seen reason to hope that he can pull it off though. His picks for cabinet positions are very disappointing and his comments and actions over the last 4 weeks has only positioned him as a poor representative of the US for many of us.

Well I understand where you are, and honestly said the same thing in January 2009 as Obama was taking office. I do hope that Trump will exceed your expectations, and I am just wondering what actions you have disagreed with so strongly over the past 4 weeks? I like that he is picking cabinet members that are focused on making improvements in the area they are overseeing, whether its with defense and national security or with helping to grow the economy and reduce regulations. Other than the negativity that would exist in left media for anyone Trump might pick, what is it that you are so afraid of?

Well, since you asked -

• we got a Sec of Ed that doesn't believe in Public schools
  • an EPA chief that dislikes environmental protections (and who has sued the agency he's about to run multiple times)
  • a Secretary of Labor that doesn't support worker protections
  • a HUD guy that is qualified because "he once lived in a housing project"(and who has admitted he is not qualified to be in a cabinet position)
  • a WWF owner running the Small Business Administration division
  • a National Security Advisor that was fired by the past administration - and is known for using US resources to chase down conspiracy theories that have no fact behind them, but that he feels in his "gut" are legitimate.
  • He has already assembled the richest cabinet in US history - after saying he'd put folks in his administration that represent the working man and not the same old wealthy folks that he campaigned against
  • In his cabinet he has at least 3 that have been accused of assault against woman
  • His tweets about Putin quotes as if they're admirable
  • He tweets irresponsibly about nuclear weapons
  • He has already walked away from, and admitted several of his "catch phrases" from the campaign were just that
  • He has overstepped multiple boundaries by having his children involved in international meetings.

What am I afraid of? That he has snowed a good number of Americans, that folks around me and you don't understand the ramifications of his shallowness - that you can't just get angry and say something without understanding what impact it will have immediately and long term on the US and the world. That he is already coming into office with ZERO known about his financial interests, and all the power in the world to use the office and his family and contacts to increase his own wealth. He brags about his ability to make money by taking advantage of people - and he will not change his spots now.

Honestly there is so much more - really I haven't seen anything that has made me more open about him. Initially I thought he response after meeting with Obama was humble and showed appropriate respect for the office and the job. His speech after winning was professional and appropriate regarding the race - but all was short-lived and he's back to his short circuted, thin, skinned reaction that is so uneducated because he has shown zero interest (or puts zero value in) understanding history of the office, the relationships we have and have had in the past and the damage he can do with one flippant remark.

• Fire 4

I don't think it's unreasonable of him to ask for one positive Trump thread amongst the sea of threads talking about how awful he is.

Thanks...you see what you get from Zoogs and others who simply don't have it in them to find anything positive to say about their opposition. I have never been a huge fan of Bill Clinton but have complimented him on here several times, and have done the same for others with opposing views as well. That's the difference you will find between some like Zoogs and his cohorts who simply cannot find any common ground or openness to recognizing someone with opposing views. It's unfortunate but that is the nature of the world we live in now.

zoogs is an abnormally fantastic listener on this board - he constantly thanks people for learning more about subjects and sides that he was uneducated by, and asks good questions. What do you do? You talk about how great you are treating the other side, and then regurgitate the same half dozen or so talking points about how Obama led the worst economic recovery, or has inflamed racial tensions, or about the mainstream media bias, or whatever other easily digestable narratives you're fed that day.

It's not that nobody has it in them to compliment their opposition. I have tons of "opponents" that I can and do compliment very freely. It's that people have a hard time finding ways to compliment Donald Trump specifically, because we find him to be a reprehensible human, regardless of what team he bats for.

• Fire 2

Well, since you asked -

• an EPA chief that dislikes environmental protections (and who has sued the agency he's about to run multiple times)
  • a HUD guy that is qualified because "he once lived in a housing project"(and who has admitted he is not qualified to be in a cabinet position)
  • a National Security Advisor that was fired by the past administration - and is known for using US resources to chase down conspiracy theories that have no fact behind them, but that he feels in his "gut" are legitimate.
  • He has already assembled the richest cabinet in US history - after saying he'd put folks in his administration that represent the working man and not the same old wealthy folks that he campaigned against
  • In his cabinet he has at least 3 that have been accused of assault against woman
  • He has already walked away from, and admitted several of his "catch phrases" from the campaign were just that
  • He has overstepped multiple boundaries by having his children involved in international meetings.

What am I afraid of? That he has snowed a good number of Americans, that folks around me and you don't understand the ramifications of his shallowness - that you can't just get angry and say something without understanding what impact it will have immediately and long term on the US and the world. That he is already coming into office with ZERO known about his financial interests, and all the power in the world to use the office and his family and contacts to increase his own wealth. He brags about his ability to make money by taking advantage of people - and he will not change his spots now.

Honestly there is so much more - really I haven't seen anything that has made me more open about him. Initially I thought he response after meeting with Obama was humble and showed appropriate respect for the office and the job. His speech after winning was professional and appropriate regarding the race - but all was short-lived and he's back to his short circuted, thin, skinned reaction that is so uneducated because he has shown zero interest (or puts zero value in) understanding history of the office, the relationships we have and have had in the past and the damage he can do with one flippant remark.

I appreciate the well detailed response, and I guess you oppose some of these cabinet picks for the same reason I support them. I don't want an EPA that is adding to regulations, or a secretary of labor that is making it more difficult for businesses to operate. I do want an Education secretary that is open to more than just the public school system as many of our public schools are failing. I want more focus on the military and our veterans than we have had in the past 8 years, and I want improved border security and a focus on fixing our immigration system. All the people he has nominated should help in that regard.

I do agree that he should not be tweeting about certain topics and I hope that he can improve upon that. And I did not agree with many things he said on the campaign trail, but I hope that he scales back on that stuff and does what he already is doing now and focused on delivering results for the American people. We have had 8 years of an inept leader who had zero leadership skills prior to becoming POTUS. So let me ask you this...if Trump is able to make improvements in this country on a variety of fronts, but personally still annoys you, how will you feel toward him then? Do the personal comments outweigh the state of the union?

• Fire 2

Well, since you asked -

Charter schools are public. The Sec of Ed is big on Charter Schools. Not private schools, as far as I know.

• Fire 1

Why would we focus more on our military when we don't really use much of it and on border security when more people are illegally leaving this country than entering it annually?

I think a big part of it has to do with part of our culture and fear.

We already spend more on defense than the next 7-8 countries combined, yet we have political figures (like Trump) who bully for higher spending, increased troops and aircraft.

I'm all for improving the lives of our veterans, but I don't think I can be convinced that we need to expand our military even more. We would already stomp the world if we needed to.

Why would we focus more on our military when we don't really use much of it and on border security when more people are illegally leaving this country than entering it annually?

We already spend more on defense than the next 7-8 countries combined, yet we have political figures (like Trump) who bully for higher spending, increased troops and aircraft.

I'm all for improving the lives of our veterans, but I don't think I can be convinced that we need to expand our military even more. We would already stomp the world if we needed to.

Agree 100%. We currently don't seem capable to support the veterans we have, why would we want to expand the amount of veterans we have?

Please point to all these other threads where I have made such requests? I will be waiting a long time. I honestly would find it great if you and others would focus more in discussion instead of the constant negativity about Trump or Republicans. That would be highly welcome. Maybe someday you will get there. :)

I wish that Trump and Republicans gave us more to feel good about.

This comment seems to be a roundabout way of saying you don't think our criticism of them is legitimate.

Edit: Read your comment to NM's list. I feel those are all legit concerns about Trump for people, even if his cabinet gives largely opposite feelings to someone like yourself.

To answer your question about Trump and improving the country vs. his personal antics... I'm already embarrassed that he is going to be our next representative on the global stage. Like, really embarrassed. But if lots of us are wrong and he improves the country in leaps and bounds, we should give credit where credit is due. I'd still probably be embarrassed and be disgusted by the guy personally, but if he can do his job, I'd have to respect that.

My question: Why don't you feel this way about Obama? Even if you largely dislike his personality or his politics, he's done at the very least a serviceable job keeping us safe, stabilizing the economy, and representing us with class on a world stage.

Agree 100%. We currently don't seem capable to support the veterans we have, why would we want to expand the amount of veterans we have?

You guys are confused as it pertains about cutting military spending. The cuts shouldn't come from peoples entitlements, it should come from the many projects that spend an astronomical amount on crap that either doesn't pan out or is in some cases decades behind schedule. But the lobbyists (both sides of the isle) pay "our" representatives off to keep those black holes funded. So to cut spending a$$hole$ like McCain who leads the committee that proposes such things to the president and congress that recommended cutting veterans benefits while the companies behind these "black hole" projects get wealthier. That is where Trump rightfully criticized McCain and his treatment of the military. He has pretty much stabbed us in the back. Typically the Dems (rightfully so) catch hell from the military because they have historically been the party that has concentrating on taking away or reducing military benefits, but at least on the latest round, it was McCain who hypocritically suggested deep cuts in Housing and other entitlements that he received while being on active duty that were eventually taken out of the proposed budget.