The White Establishment

zoogs, sometimes you talk with such flowery language it's hard for some of us dummies to have any clue what the hell you're on about.

BRB, to translate, the article is satirical, and poking fun at how minority groups are occasionally represented with such broad, out-of-touch brushstrokes in the media, almost the way you'd imagine a narrator talking about certain kinds of animals on Planet Earth or something.

OK...that's the part I missed.

zoogs, sometimes you talk with such flowery language it's hard for some of us dummies to have any clue what the hell you're on about.

BRB, to translate, the article is satirical, and poking fun at how minority groups are occasionally represented with such broad, out-of-touch brushstrokes in the media, almost the way you'd imagine a narrator talking about certain kinds of animals on Planet Earth or something. I think.

He does talk purdy.

Those are comments actually pulled from the WSJ.

The premise is facetious because we all know there is no such thing as a "rare peek" into the "world of whites", because it's a world that is put on blast 24/7. On the other hand, it's quite common to write articles in this vein. It's also quite common to go with "Look at what's going on in the Black community; this is how they feel about us." This article flips all of that on its head. It is a parody not in the sense that it is false, but in the sense that it is not seriously trying to claim that the sum total of white people's opinions is covered in this insider scoop.

We all know that to be true, so the subtext is that when let's say Fox tries to present a dish on what Black people feel about white people, we can recognize that it's a similarly limited slice.

The article also attacks another assumption: that it's only "white racists" who belong in the fringe, by taking on and dissecting a very mainstream forum in the Wall Street Journal. These are not neo-Nazis spewing bile on their right-wing social media platforms.

Lastly, it holds these arguments up as utterly insane, which I really appreciate. I don't know if the author assumes everyone will find them that way (i.e, "look at these *shocking* comments") or if he knows that they're often *not* held as ridiculous and expects some readers to say, "Hey, wait a minute. I actually agree with all that." In any case, I find that the latter is more accurate, and this makes for a good reminder that such views are not atypical, though they perhaps should be.

EDIT: Landlord said it better :P Sorry, I can be obtuse and unclear sometimes. Brevity isn't my strong suite.

Since this thread originated with Bill O'Reilly...

The employee, Juliet Huddy, had said that Mr. O’Reilly pursued a sexual relationship with her in 2011, at a time he exerted significant influence over her career. When she rebuffed his advances, he tried to derail her career, according to a draft of a letter from her lawyers to Fox News that was obtained by The New York Times.

The letter includes allegations that Mr. O’Reilly had called Ms. Huddy repeatedly and that it sometimes sounded like he was masturbating. He invited her to his house on Long Island, tried to kiss her, took her to dinner and the theater, and after asking her to return a key to his hotel room, appeared at the door in his boxer shorts, according to the letter.

In exchange for her silence and agreement not to sue, she was paid a sum in the high six figures, according to people briefed on the agreement. The agreement was between Ms. Huddy and 21st Century Fox, the parent company of Fox News. The company and Mr. O’Reilly’s lawyer said her allegations were false.

In the aftermath of Mr. Ailes’s departure, executives declared that such behavior would never again be tolerated. Mr. O’Reilly has continued to host his show on weekday nights at 8 p.m., and he published two more books.

It brings me intense personal pleasure to see this guy exposed for the slime that he is.

This also happened AFTER the Ailes fallout. Fox News execs actions do not match their words.

• Fire 3

I'm still trying to figure out how a road construction project is an example of racism and white privilege. There are plenty of city expenditures that aren't used by every citizen of the city.

To the bolded - exactly, you get it! FINALLY. Yet with some of these, people complain about laziness and using the system. Not so with stuff that only benefits people in the suburbs.

Also, delete the word racism from your post after you re-read the thousands of gd times I've said I'm not saying anything about racism.

First off, I want to express my disappointment in missing out on this discussion. A lot of great opinions, and plenty of talking points.

Moraine, for the sake of argument, there is an angle that I'd like to point out in regard to the tax discussion, and how they're used throughout the communities; people's reactions to what they're used for. One of the reasons you hear more complaining from people about all the "free stuff" (food stamps, disability, welfare, medicaid, etc.) that some receive from the government is because of the lack of contribution from the people that receive those benefits. In your Omaha example, I'm sure that those that benefit the most from the road, are also the same people that contribute the most in taxes. Also, even if the road wasn't funded with poor people in mind (which I doubt was even mentioned by the decision-makers), they are still free to use them to pursue opportunities to better their own circumstances. I won't sit hear, and act like poor people, or minorities don't have greater obstacles to overcome, but the opportunities are still there for them.

I think another very astute reason for the bad feelings was made by Obama recently: it's when this government support, which traditionally has favored a certain demographic, begins to target a different one instead. That engenders resentment even when it's really just a matter of the help going where it's most needed and has historically been most left wanting.

I think another very astute reason for the bad feelings was made by Obama recently: it's when this government support, which traditionally has favored a certain demographic, begins to target a different one instead. That engenders resentment even when it's really just a matter of the help going where it's most needed and has historically been most left wanting.

Sure, but it's hard to expect the people who contribute appropriately to society, not to have some sort of animosity to those who don't, yet benefit from other's contributions.

I'm talking about people who fit the same "don't contribute to society" metric who get mad that people who don't look like them are suddenly being helped.

I know there are reasons for this kind of animosity, but I think it truly loses sight of how we as a country function together. It's the kind of rabble-rousing sentiment that segments of the already wealthy and powerful like to stir up, because it benefits them even as it harms the people they're rallying to their side.

We all benefit from each other's contributions. I think we need to be able to recognize that to stop paralyzing ourselves in madness.

I'm talking about people who fit the same "don't contribute to society" metric who get mad that people who don't look like them are suddenly being helped.

I know there are reasons for this kind of animosity, but I think it truly loses sight of how we as a country function together. It's the kind of rabble-rousing sentiment that segments of the already wealthy and powerful like to stir up, because it benefits them even as it harms the people they're rallying to their side.

We all benefit from each other's contributions. I think we need to be able to recognize that to stop paralyzing ourselves in madness.

The animosity that you describe in the bolded, is something that I can't understand. Admittedly, as a small-business owner, I do get frustrated with those who don't, for the lack of a better term, pull their own weight within our society. My frustration towards those people transcends race, at least for me personally.

Sure, but it's hard to expect the people who contribute appropriately to society, not to have some sort of animosity to those who don't, yet benefit from other's contributions.

What constitutes a "contribution to society?"

Maybe the best contributions to society are made by Janet the Crazy Cat Lady who lives down the block. She feeds the local strays, but she also volunteers her time to the shelter, gives what meagre funds she has to local charities, and gives turkeys to the local soup kitchen each Thanksgiving.

Maybe the best contributions to society are made by the hoodie-wearing graffiti punks who craft bawdy but astute phrases on the back wall of the CVS the light-rail passes on the way into the city. Not only is it art, but it makes Joe Office Job think a minute on his way into the city.

Maybe the best contributions to society are from the kids who make drums out of buckets and play for tips at the station.

Maybe the best contributions to society are from the grocery store checkers who greet you with a smile every day, even though you don't know their name and don't think twice about them after you pay.

Maybe the best contributions to society aren't cash, or money-related in any way.

I think we all, whether we're Warren Buffet or Janet, benefit from others' contributions.

Maybe the best thing we could do is stop thinking our contributions are greater than anyone else's and act accordingly.

• Fire 6

Maybe the best contributions to society are made by Janet the Crazy Cat Lady who lives down the block. She feeds the local strays, but she also volunteers her time to the shelter, gives what meagre funds she has to local charities, and gives turkeys to the local soup kitchen each Thanksgiving.

Maybe the best contributions to society are made by the hoodie-wearing graffiti punks who craft bawdy but astute phrases on the back wall of the CVS the light-rail passes on the way into the city. Not only is it art, but it makes Joe Office Job think a minute on his way into the city.

Maybe the best contributions to society are from the kids who make drums out of buckets and play for tips at the station.

Maybe the best contributions to society are from the grocery store checkers who greet you with a smile every day, even though you don't know their name and don't think twice about them after you pay.

Maybe the best contributions to society aren't cash, or money-related in any way.

I think we all, whether we're Warren Buffet or Janet, benefit from others' contributions.

Maybe the best thing we could do is stop thinking our contributions are greater than anyone else's and act accordingly.

Exactly! Everyone contribution is equal.

Even if we do want to frame it in terms of money,

"And he sat down opposite the treasury and watched the people putting money into the offering box. Many rich people put in large sums. And a poor widow came and put in two small copper coins, which make a penny. And he called his disciples to him and said to them, “Truly, I say to you, this poor widow has put in more than all those who are contributing to the offering box. For they all contributed out of their abundance, but she out of her poverty has put in everything she had, all she had to live on.”

• Fire 2