Gerry is suspended for bowl game

BoKnowsD

In all honesty, what is going on with Nate Gerry is, in many respects, a microcosm of the rest of the team. Do just enough to get by/9 wins.

I disagree with you here Chimi - this team has really done a lot with very little in the way of "availability" due to injury etc. I think this year maybe more so than in any year I can think of in the recent past they've been engaged and focused.

I will respectfully disagree NM.

I am not unreasonable.

But...

I have scratched my head until it proverbially bled at how we lost by 30 to a (at the time) 7-4 Iowa team.

OSU was a much better team than NU. I understand us getting boat raced by them. The Iowa loss, was IMO, much worse. They sucked and they beat us like a drum. TA was injured, but he didn't allow Iowa to hang 40 on us. The team NU fielded that day looked they'd rather be anywhere than there.....Flat, apathetic and could care less......

What does he even mean by this? I highly doubt Riley just *let* Gerry slip like this without having a conversation prior to the "oh sh*t" moment.

From the stories I've heard about Bo and other programs where coaches/staff forced players to attend and even sat in class with players, the team is learning the reality of true accountability.

This tweet, from how I'm perceiving it, borders making an excuse.

What does he even mean by this? I highly doubt Riley just *let* Gerry slip like this without having a conversation prior to the "oh sh*t" moment.

From the stories I've heard about Bo and other programs where coaches/staff forced players to attend and even sat in class with players, the team is learning the reality of true accountability.

Again, just my opinion, but Riley was the anti-Bo hire in every way. I still do not think Riley was brought in to win (by SE). He was brought in to bring about 180 degree change from Bo. Embrace the fans, alumni, traditions, media etc.... Winning was a bonus. Not saying Riley doesn't want to win as I am sure he does, but IMO, SE brought him here to be anti-Bo.

Don't think the tweet is an excuse. I think it is what it is. Kids being treated like adults......Some will be responsible enough and others not so much..... Discipline starts on the field and needs to be followed up in academics and the kids personal lives IMO.

Again, just my opinion, but Riley was the anti-Bo hire in every way. I still do not think Riley was brought in to win (by SE). He was brought in to bring about 180 degree change from Bo. Embrace the fans, alumni, traditions, media etc.... Winning was a bonus. Not saying Riley doesn't want to win as I am sure he does, but IMO, SE brought him here to be anti-Bo.

Don't think the tweet is an excuse. I think it is what it is. Kids being treated like adults......Some will be responsible enough and others not so much..... Discipline starts on the field and needs to be followed up in academics and the kids personal lives IMO.

I think this is correct.

I think this is correct.

I wasn't sure if he was trying to say it as a criticism or as a fact. And I agree that Riley was brought in to shape the program around. I've shared the opinion with one of my brothers, who is anti Riley, Riley may not win a championship but who ever comes in to coach after him is going to have a better program to work with.

I'm not sold on everything Riley is doing to win games, but if he's the sacrificial lamb, he's doing a good job.

In all honesty, what is going on with Nate Gerry is, in many respects, a microcosm of the rest of the team. Do just enough to get by/9 wins.

I disagree with you here Chimi - this team has really done a lot with very little in the way of "availability" due to injury etc. I think this year maybe more so than in any year I can think of in the recent past they've been engaged and focused.

I will respectfully disagree NM.

I am not unreasonable.

But...

I have scratched my head until it proverbially bled at how we lost by 30 to a (at the time) 7-4 Iowa team.

Somewhat the same way we lost to a 5 loss Wisc team in the CC - however that day we had a starting QB at full strength and a coach that "could stop the run"

• Fire 1

I think this is correct.
I wasn't sure if he was trying to say it as a criticism or as a fact. And I agree that Riley was brought in to shape the program around. I've shared the opinion with one of my brothers, who is anti Riley, Riley may not win a championship but who ever comes in to coach after him is going to have a better program to work with.

I'm not sold on everything Riley is doing to win games, but if he's the sacrificial lamb, he's doing a good job.

Doubtful.

Cripes Cornstar, I'm guessing based on the last day or so of posts that your spouse left you, the dog died and you got a flat tire on the interstate on your way to get a root canal.

Well......

he was drunk the day his mom got out of prison

And he went to pick her up in the rain

But before he could get to the station in a pickup truck

She got run'd over by a damned old train

• Fire 2

I read an article from Sipple that all Gerry had to do was get 2's in 3 and he would be playing......He only had two pass 6 credit hours to be bowl eligible.....Not like he had to get A's.... Pretty good article. Puts the blame on Gerry and only Gerry. No excuses..

http://journalstar.com/sports/huskers/sipple/steven-m-sipple-gerry-and-only-gerry-is-to-blame/article_23b9b6dc-1782-5b64-aa56-e73f26bcd352.html

• Fire 3

What makes it so sad is that you have people like Tommy and Westy who want nothing more than to be able to suit up and play with their team for this game, the last one of their careers and they are unable to due to something out of their control (that happened on the field) - and then this joker, who just bails. Not a fan of his decision, and it's lessened what I think of him overall as a Husker. When's the last time this happened to any senior? A captain?

• Fire 3

What makes it so sad is that you have people like Tommy and Westy who want nothing more than to be able to suit up and play with their team for this game, the last one of their careers and they are unable to due to something out of their control (that happened on the field) - and then this joker, who just bails. Not a fan of his decision, and it's lessened what I think of him overall as a Husker. When's the last time this happened to any senior? A captain?

That's the hard part for me. A captain, i.e. leader, not leading by example and for all intensive purposes no accountability. One does not simply fail on one day. It's a semester of failing to do what is required to play. I would have to guess that no one was shocked.