Eichorst Statement About Football Program

Mavric

I think Eichorst was mistaken when he said we had the talent to win championships and when you do the "eyeball test" between the Huskers and say...Alabama, or Ohio St...we fail pretty miserably imo.

If you think he meant national championships, then I agree. I think he likely meant division and conference championships, though. We are much closer to that, IMO. Any given Saturday in Indy.

You are correct in saying we have depth issues in some critical areas. Especially (imo) on the offensive line this past year.

Yup. pretty critical there. I agree w/ you that Riley redshirting everyone there is pretty telling.

When people talk about competing for championships, I always think on a national level because to me that is the ultimate goal. However, he may very well have been talking about the division/conference level and I would agree that we are far closer to that on a division level than we are a national level. At the conference level we have to compete with the likes of Ohio St so if we want to compete/win conference championships then we'll also be at the national level of competition.

Anyone trying to defend Eichorst's treatment of coaches is deceiving themselves. Eichorst was hired to fire Pelini. There is simply no other way around it. Perlman had wanted Pelini out for some time. That was Job #1 when Eichorst was hired.

Pelini had decided to go after the Miami job in 2010. He had an inside track - Mike Ekeler played football at Kansas State with then-Miami AD Kirby Hocutt. But Miami hired Al Golden instead. A couple months later Hocutt leaves Miami for Texas Tech. Miami then hires .... Shawn Eichorst. Pretty easy for Eichorst to find out that Pelini wanted the Miami job (one way or another at some point along the line). A couple years later, Eichorst interviews for the Nebraska job. No idea if that knowledge helped him get the job or not but now there is a Chancellor that wants Pelini out and an AD who knows he wanted out.

Eichorst wanted to fire Pelini after the 2013 season but couldn't get enough boosters on board to get it done. So now he's gone through a year wanting to fire Pelini and has to sit through another one trying to drum up enough support to get it done. How can anyone be surprised that there wasn't much of a relationship there. Eichorst trying to play it off as being busy is a thin cover story. After Eichorst hires his own guy, obviously they're going to have a close relationship - Eichorst has a vested interest in him succeeding.

The second paragraph is exactly what happened - straight from the horse's mouth. The third has been widely rumored and makes too much sense to not be true. Trying to pass off the bad relationship as being only Pelini's fault is disingenuous.

Not to discredit your post but Pelini never had an "in" with Miami. There is a reason Ekeler left at the end of 2010 and it didn't have to do with a Co-DC position. He was gonna be gone no matter what.

Anyone trying to defend Eichorst's treatment of coaches is deceiving themselves. Eichorst was hired to fire Pelini. There is simply no other way around it. Perlman had wanted Pelini out for some time. That was Job #1 when Eichorst was hired.

Pelini had decided to go after the Miami job in 2010. He had an inside track - Mike Ekeler played football at Kansas State with then-Miami AD Kirby Hocutt. But Miami hired Al Golden instead. A couple months later Hocutt leaves Miami for Texas Tech. Miami then hires .... Shawn Eichorst. Pretty easy for Eichorst to find out that Pelini wanted the Miami job (one way or another at some point along the line). A couple years later, Eichorst interviews for the Nebraska job. No idea if that knowledge helped him get the job or not but now there is a Chancellor that wants Pelini out and an AD who knows he wanted out.

Eichorst wanted to fire Pelini after the 2013 season but couldn't get enough boosters on board to get it done. So now he's gone through a year wanting to fire Pelini and has to sit through another one trying to drum up enough support to get it done. How can anyone be surprised that there wasn't much of a relationship there. Eichorst trying to play it off as being busy is a thin cover story. After Eichorst hires his own guy, obviously they're going to have a close relationship - Eichorst has a vested interest in him succeeding.

The second paragraph is exactly what happened - straight from the horse's mouth. The third has been widely rumored and makes too much sense to not be true. Trying to pass off the bad relationship as being only Pelini's fault is disingenuous.

Not to discredit your post but Pelini never had an "in" with Miami. There is a reason Ekeler left at the end of 2010 and it didn't have to do with a Co-DC position. He was gonna be gone no matter what.
I thought I heard Pelini and Ekeler had somewhat "made up" when Ekeler got the gig at Georgia(?) and Bo gave him a positive endorsement.

Not defending Eichorsts comments, I get the hypocrisy, but what else what he supposed to say? "Umm yeah, I would've fired Bo last year but the um, yeah, the boosters wouldn't let me do my job." Or play it coy and not air dirty laundry like many managers do when it comes to firing someone and use half truths to support the reasoning? It wasn't until Bo was heard calling SE a c*nt that the university actually made a statement they fully believed in at the time.

I'm happy Bo is gone. I'm happy SE is more present in the programs and is visible on the sidelines. I'm happy he didn't extend Miles' contract and I'm happy Miles still has a shot to resurrect the hoops program. And overall, I'm generally happy with the seemingly new direction and leadership by the AD and university.

You're just trying to finesse it. The word "championship" appears 13 times in that press conference. No where was the impression given that we were very far away. Not nearly the same tone now.

He still doesn't give the impression that we're far away. In fact, he still gives the impression that we're close.

"Well, we were in the championship hunt this year, there's no doubt about that."

"We had a chance to win a championship this year, and we came up a little short. And when you look at those things I just described, I think there's great optimism and hope in the program. And I know that we are on some really good students — prospects — and we've redshirted some good players. And we have some good young players on this roster."

Now explain to me again how this is "the exact opposite", please.

:rollin:facepalm: Jesus. Poor Bo, he was just perfect. :wub: Give me a f'n break. So Pelini wanted to leave Nebraska as early as 2010, and was constantly looking to get out every season after that, and yet Eichorst is the bad guy.

• Fire 3

:rollin:facepalm: Jesus. Poor Bo, he was just perfect. :wub: Give me a f'n break.

I didn't read that at all in his post.

So Pelini wanted to leave Nebraska as early as 2010, and was constantly looking to get out every season after that, and yet Eichorst is the bad guy.

Why can't it be both?

• Fire 1

:rollin:facepalm: Jesus. Poor Bo, he was just perfect. :wub: Give me a f'n break. So Pelini wanted to leave Nebraska as early as 2010, and was constantly looking to get out every season after that, and yet Eichorst is the bad guy.

It's more than just Pelini wanting to get out. There was a reason he wanted out.

The Nebraska football program was/is a flippin' soap opera with several grown men involved.

Bo more than likely wanted out because the job was a bit more daunting than he envisioned when hired. Maybe Bo was a lazy recruiter. However, I've got to imagine he was told no by several high profile recruits because of our location, etc. When he accepted the job, I don't think he realized just how difficult it might be here. It's not like he was out applying for jobs at KState or Iowa. He was applying for jobs in recruiting hotbeds.

Eichorst isn't the bad guy for firing Bo. It was the reason he was hired. He was hired to get the boosters on his side and oust Bo. It remains to be seen if he's a good/great AD or not. Time will tell.

• Fire 2

Bo more than likely wanted out because the job was a bit more daunting than he envisioned when hired. Maybe Bo was a lazy recruiter. However, I've got to imagine he was told no by several high profile recruits because of our location, etc. When he accepted the job, I don't think he realized just how difficult it might be here. It's not like he was out applying for jobs at KState or Iowa. He was applying for jobs in recruiting hotbeds.

Eichorst isn't the bad guy for firing Bo. It was the reason he was hired. He was hired to get the boosters on his side and oust Bo. It remains to be seen if he's a good/great AD or not. Time will tell.

Excellent post.

It's more than just Pelini wanting to get out. There was a reason he wanted out.

The Nebraska football program was/is a flippin' soap opera with several grown men involved.

Because politicking is exclusive to Nebraska...

Bo felt screwed over at Nebraska. He wanted out because he was pissy about Carl getting pushed out which was his own damned fault. He couldn't field a competent offense in 2009, so we managed to lose a game to Texas we had no business losing. That was the BCS's fault and the Big 12's fault. Then the fans were upset that we got humiliated by Wisconsin in our B1G debut so they voiced their displeasure as many paying customers do, so his taped rant after tOSU '11 is the fans fault. Him not getting the Miami job he wanted is Perlman and ADSE's fault. Getting embarassed by Wisconsin in the title game was....Bill Callahans fault?

Idk, for all the things that went wrong under his watch, not many of them were his fault. Maybe that's why he is at an FCS school in his home area and not a cushy ACC gig.

• Fire 1

Quite the intricate scenario based off of nothing actually substantiated other than Shawn Eichorst taking over as the AD at Miami.

Bo made his own bed. If he didn't know what he was getting into, that's on him. He played at Ohio State, he coached at Iowa, here, LSU, Oklahoma, San Francisco, New England, and Green Bay. He had plenty of time to realize the expectations, the media pressure, the fishbowl, and the disadvantages of the midwest. If he didn't want to get fired, he shouldn't have burnt so many bridges. If he was mad about his brother, maybe don't hire a drug addict serial philandering husband.

I give him credit for the media makeover he attempted during the 2013 offseason, but too little too late.

• Fire 1

Bo felt screwed over at Nebraska. He wanted out because he was pissy about Carl getting pushed out which was his own damned fault. He couldn't field a competent offense in 2009, so we managed to lose a game to Texas we had no business losing. That was the BCS's fault and the Big 12's fault. Then the fans were upset that we got humiliated by Wisconsin in our B1G debut so they voiced their displeasure as many paying customers do, so his taped rant after tOSU '11 is the fans fault. Him not getting the Miami job he wanted is Perlman and ADSE's fault. Getting embarassed by Wisconsin in the title game was....Bill Callahans fault?

Idk, for all the things that went wrong under his watch, not many of them were his fault. Maybe that's why he is at an FCS school in his home area and not a cushy ACC gig.

Take away wondering about whos fault it was for just a moment......because as I mentioned earlier, several grown men are at fault for where the Nebraska football program is.

So.....for just a moment.....here's a "what if?"

"What if?" Pelini, Perlman and Osborne could have sat down in a room and agreed to put the power struggle in the broom closet.......?

"What if?" Pelini, Perlman and Osborne could have sat down in a room and agreed to put the power struggle in the broom closet.......?

They're now all gone, so for the many who claimed that Perlman was the real ghost in the machine causing our football program to be snakebit, meddling in areas he shouldn't have, well, we'd expect to see something change soon then, yeah?