Eichorst Statement About Football Program

Mavric

I agree with you redux. There will be no firing, it'll be a retirement type of situation. If he was going to retire at this point I personally think he would've done it or announced that by now. Let's just hope that when he does, there is someone worth a darn waiting to take over.

I said he would retireā€¦ Redux agreed with me! Uggugugugugug

• Fire 1

I agree with you redux. There will be no firing, it'll be a retirement type of situation. If he was going to retire at this point I personally think he would've done it or announced that by now. Let's just hope that when he does, there is someone worth a darn waiting to take over.

He'll get us a conference championship, retire, then SE will promote Banker or Langsdorf to head coach 3 days before announcing he's leaving to take the AD vacancy at Wisconsin.

• Fire 1

Ā 

He'll get us a conference championship, retire, then SE will promote Banker or Langsdorf to head coach 3 days before announcing he's leaving to take the AD vacancy at Wisconsin.

Ā 

Ā 

When are people going to realize that Alvarez recommended SE to Harvey Perlman because he didn't want that ginger tool anywhere near Madison.

Ā 

Ā 

Ā 

Ā 

When are people going to realize that Alvarez recommended SE to Harvey Perlman because he didn't want that ginger tool anywhere near Madison.

Ā 

You realize SE worked for Alvarez and was the one who started up the hockey program at Wisconsin. Alvarez has all kinds of respect for SE and has helped him every step of the way because he thinks he does a great job.

• Fire 1

Ā 

Simply not true. ADSE isn't firing Riley after a 9-4 year. ADSE isn't going anywhere this year. We are riding this train to the end.

It's true...it's always true.

riley will never be fired...but he will "retire" and it will end up being at a time that will be beneficial for SE

Ā 

You can't fire him w/o cause. And you don't fire coaches that just won nine games unless there are other issues going on behind the scenes.

Ā 

Ā 

Ā 

Ā 

Ā 

You realize SE worked for Alvarez and was the one who started up the hockey program at Wisconsin. Alvarez has all kinds of respect for SE and has helped him every step of the way because he thinks he does a great job.

Ā 

He also didn't seem to realize that if Eichorst was heading to Wisconsin to take over a vacant AD position that Alvarez won't be there to stop him.

So wait...with what Eichorst said before the bowl game in the first post of this thread...does this mean Eichorst was lying in 2014 when he hired Riley and said "I think we have kids in our program that are capable of winning championships"? Or was all the talent located in the 2015 class and Riley just squandered it with our 6-7 season?

Ā 

Just trying to figure out if I should believe 2014 Eichorst or 2016 Eichorst when it comes to talent evaluation? :dunno

Ā 

Ā 

Simply not true. ADSE isn't firing Riley after a 9-4 year. ADSE isn't going anywhere this year. We are riding this train to the end.

It's true...it's always true.riley will never be fired...but he will "retire" and it will end up being at a time that will be beneficial for SE
You can't fire him w/o cause. And you don't fire coaches that just won nine games unless there are other issues going on behind the scenes.

Yeah you can and yes you can

And so everyone is aware, I don't want Riley to stay here, I want a huge damn hire with the name that instantly sends shock waves across the nation. That's what we all wanted when Bo was let go and we didn't get it. I just think we may be stuck for a few more years.

Ā 

Like when Tennessee or USC hired Kiffin? Or USC hiring Sark? Or Texas hiring Charlie Strong? Or Notre Dame hiring Brian Kelly? Or Texas A&M hiring Kevn Sumlin?

Ā 

Never understood the desire for the famed mythical 'splash hire'. More often than not, coaches that fit that bill only achieve getting a fanbase really excited for an offseason or two before their on-the-field results bring reality crashing back down.

Ā 

Ā 

Ā 

Ā 

Ā 

Ā 

So wait...with what Eichorst said before the bowl game in the first post of this thread...does this mean Eichorst was lying in 2014 when he hired Riley and said "I think we have kids in our program that are capable of winning championships"? Or was all the talent located in the 2015 class and Riley just squandered it with our 6-7 season?

Ā 

Just trying to figure out if I should believe 2014 Eichorst or 2016 Eichorst when it comes to talent evaluation? :dunno

Ā 

Well, you should understand that A) An athletic director's job involves PR and politics and it's important for them to be behind their coaches with public shows of support, even if that means hypocrisy from things you've said historically, and B) when he was talking about our talent level in 2014, he made caveats that he isn't the expert to ask, and that he would like to think so. Hardly a firm statement.

Ā 

Ā 

Ā 

Ā 

Ā 

So if he goes 8-4 or 9-3 next season some of you want him fired? Isn't that how we got into this mess in the first place? QUIT FIRING 9 WIN COACHES! This program is circling the bowl as it is due to the expectations here at times. 9 wins isn't good enough scares away a lot of coaches and makes the job undesirable to most coaches out there. We simply can't fire him next season if that's what happens. The best thing that could happen is that he retires if that happens next season. Then you bring in a new coach for 2018's schedule. That could be brutal as well when you look at that schedule. He keeps winning 8 or 9 games a season we're stuck with him until he retires. We better hope for a good season next year because the next two after that could get ugly if they don't figure this out.

I agree with much of what you said, but don't forget about last year. It was totally unacceptable and if we see a couple more .500ish records the next two years, 2016 will be an anomaly and should have no bearing on his employment at NU.
I agree about last year being unacceptable and I'm certainly not saying we need to accept mediocrity. We are in a sticky situation though and need to let this play out some. The folks that want Riley fired now though never wanted him in the first place. Firing him now simply isn't a good option.

I'm certain I haven't called for Riley to be fired at this point, and I know that he will be here next year, probably two or 3 more years barring a disastrous season next year.

Ā 

Never said you did, there are some folks that do though.

Ā 

And so everyone is aware, I don't want Riley to stay here, I want a huge damn hire with the name that instantly sends shock waves across the nation. That's what we all wanted when Bo was let go and we didn't get it. I just think we may be stuck for a few more years.

Ā 

Ā 

Ā 

Ā 

Ā 

Well, you should understand that A) An athletic director's job involves PR and politics and it's important for them to be behind their coaches with public shows of support, even if that means hypocrisy from things you've said historically, and B) when he was talking about our talent level in 2014, he made caveats that he isn't the expert to ask, and that he would like to think so. Hardly a firm statement.

Ā 

Ā 

Right, I understand your A point completely. But then why use excuses (read: talent level) to prop up Riley when a generic show of support (e.g. I believe in Riley, Riley will take us to the promised land, I believe in Riley's vision...blah blah blah, add something about children, loving Nebraska, mention Dr. Tom, and then end with a call to action for the 2017 season) would suffice?

Ā 

And again, if Eichorst mentioned in 2014 that he isn't an expert at judging talent on hand, then why is he allowed by the fanbase to make similar judgements in 2016?

• Fire 1

Right, I understand your A point completely. But then why use excuses (read: talent level) to prop up Riley when a generic show of support (e.g. I believe in Riley, Riley will take us to the promised land, I believe in Riley's vision...blah blah blah, add something about children, loving Nebraska, mention Dr. Tom, and then end with a call to action for the 2017 season) would suffice?

Ā 

Ā 

He made a fairly innocuous comment about how we're close and still have a ways to go, and that he believes Riley is doing everything it takes to get there. Do you disagree with that? If you do, do you expect the AD to publicly disagree with that?

Ā 

What you're really asking is, "Why do public officials ever say anything at all?" because no matter what they say other people like you and I will find something to misconstrue.

Ā 

Ā 

Ā 

Ā 

Ā 

Ā 

So if he goes 8-4 or 9-3 next season some of you want him fired? Isn't that how we got into this mess in the first place? QUIT FIRING 9 WIN COACHES! This program is circling the bowl as it is due to the expectations here at times. 9 wins isn't good enough scares away a lot of coaches and makes the job undesirable to most coaches out there. We simply can't fire him next season if that's what happens. The best thing that could happen is that he retires if that happens next season. Then you bring in a new coach for 2018's schedule. That could be brutal as well when you look at that schedule. He keeps winning 8 or 9 games a season we're stuck with him until he retires. We better hope for a good season next year because the next two after that could get ugly if they don't figure this out.

Ā 

I agree with much of what you said, but don't forget about last year. It was totally unacceptable and if we see a couple more .500ish records the next two years, 2016 will be an anomaly and should have no bearing on his employment at NU.
I agree about last year being unacceptable and I'm certainly not saying we need to accept mediocrity. We are in a sticky situation though and need to let this play out some. The folks that want Riley fired now though never wanted him in the first place. Firing him now simply isn't a good option.

I'm certain I haven't called for Riley to be fired at this point, and I know that he will be here next year, probably two or 3 more years barring a disastrous season next year.

Never said you did, there are some folks that do though.

Ā 

Ā 

Ā 

Ā 

Ā 

Ā 

And again, if Eichorst mentioned in 2014 that he isn't an expert at judging talent on hand, then why is he allowed by the fanbase to make similar judgements in 2016?

Eichorst is a judgement-vampire

Ā 

Ā 

Ā 

It's true...it's always true.riley will never be fired...but he will "retire" and it will end up being at a time that will be beneficial for SE

Ā 

Ā 

Ā 

Riley has a contract, so no, you can't. Not without cause. If he violates the terms of his contract, then yes, but then you would have cause.

Ā 

Ā 

Ā 

Ā 

Ā 

Ā 

Ā 

Riley has a contract, so no, you can't. Not without cause. If he violates the terms of his contract, then yes, but then you would have cause.

Ā 

Almost all coaches have contracts that go beyond the current date. Contracts don't mean anything when it comes to firing a coach.

• Fire 3