What does Banker do well?

Play 10 yards off the guy, as they run 6 yard routes...blows my mind

Yep. Our CBs are 10 yards off and concede any pass 5-6 yards. I do not understand why our corners play off so much.

We play soft because we can't cover in man. So better to give up the short stuff.

That may be a good initial observation. However, when you are down 10+ points in the fourth quarter, you need to switch it up and play man-to-man tighter. There really is no excuse for the lack of adjustments made.

Did you miss the long touchdown pass? The coaching staff doesn't trust our DB's. Not saying I agree with it but it's the reality.

Oh no not another touchdown pass! What will we do down 20+ instead of 10+...It is really stupid to argue that the coaching staff shouldn't have made adjustments. I don't care if you don't trust the DBs (which I trust more than our mediocre DL). Sounds like another excuse...I get enough of those at work.

If we can't cover in tight man what exactly are they supposed to do? Don't get me wrong I'm not a fan of banker but what adjustment are they going to make?

The adjustment would be to attempt to play tight man-on-man coverage. You could be right and it might not work. But, in the fourth quarter when you are down, what do you have to lose? Lose by more than estimated? At least you can silence the critics (like myself) and say you tried something different.

It's not really Bankers job to worry about what the critics think he should do. It's to give his players a chance to be successful and to win games. He watches them in practice everyday so that's the coverage we play. Which is a huge improvement over last years mess.

One could contend that it is Bankers' job to worry about what the "critics" believe he should do ... unless you believe he's been so successful that his job isn't close to being on the line. Honestly, we will simply will have to agree to disagree, unless you want to derail the thread. Hopefully, Banker is successful. I mean I believe we are both Nebraska fans so I hope to eat crow one day!

What argument could possibly be made that it is Banker's job to listen to his critics? I don't care how good he gets (or doesn't get), some entitled jackass will whing and cry because he doesn't call enough stunts, or enough blitzes, or this or that upsets them. It is not ANY coaches job to listen to their critics.

Sure it is. If the critic is your boss. Also, an inability to adapt and being narrow-minded are not coaching traits I admire.

Your boss, is not exactly what you were talking about. YOU are the critic that you believe he should be listening too. Well, you and your neighbors.

Yesterday was one of the worst defensive tackling performances I've ever seen. I haven't been a fan of Banker since day one and will continue not to be because he simply isn't a good coach. Everyone had their eyes in the dirt and were arm tackling all game, and the angles they take are horrendous.

We know the defensive line wasn't talented this year which doesn't help, but for piss sakes is it asking too much to get someone in the game at linebacker that can tackle someone? Young become absolutely awful towards the end of the year - concrete feet and terrible pursuit.

Nothing has changed. Our secondary still sits 50 yards off the ball which is blasphemy.

• Fire 1

There was a time when Charlie McBride drew the fans ire like Banker is now.Banker and Riley said they wanted to run a 3-4 defense when they first got here but we'd have to wait because we didn't have the bodies to make it work yet. (paraphrasing)

Yeah, I don't think that's what they said.

If that's what they've always wanted to run, they would have been doing that at Oregon State.

• Fire 1

There was a time when Charlie McBride drew the fans ire like Banker is now.

Banker and Riley said they wanted to run a 3-4 defense when they first got here but we'd have to wait because we didn't have the bodies to make it work yet. (paraphrasing)

McBride's teams won conference championships, finished in the top 10 in final rankings, played for National Championships, and some of his defenses were top 10 defenses PRIOR to the change to the 4-3.

Not apples to apples.

• Fire 1

Banker and Riley said they wanted to run a 3-4 defense when they first got here but we'd have to wait because we didn't have the bodies to make it work yet. (paraphrasing)

McBride's teams won conference championships, finished in the top 10 in final rankings, played for National Championships, and some of his defenses were top 10 defenses PRIOR to the change to the 4-3.

Not apples to apples.

Ya, either you weren't around in the 70s and 80s or you forgot or you chose to forget to mention it. When NU had big slow defenders and OU was burning us every year, and Charlie was in love with a 5-2 defense, Voices From the Grandstand were calling for his head. They sounded a lot like, well, you.

• Fire 1

There was a time when Charlie McBride drew the fans ire like Banker is now.Banker and Riley said they wanted to run a 3-4 defense when they first got here but we'd have to wait because we didn't have the bodies to make it work yet. (paraphrasing)

Yeah, I don't think that's what they said.

If that's what they've always wanted to run, they would have been doing that at Oregon State.

I didn't say that.

And I did read that they wanted to run a 3-4 but we didn't have enough linebackers. I'm 99% positive it was talked about briefly here on this board also.

Not apples to apples.

And NONE of this changes the fact that at one time, McBride drew the ire of fans just like Banker has. At one time, fans hated our defense because we couldn't stop the elite teams, kinda like people hating on Banker because we haven't been able to beat the better teams on our schedule on anything even close to a consistent basis.

Not apples to apples.

Ya, either you weren't around in the 70s and 80s or you forgot or you chose to forget to mention it. When NU had big slow defenders and OU was burning us every year, and Charlie was in love with a 5-2 defense, Voices From the Grandstand were calling for his head. They sounded a lot like, well, you.

I'm guessing cornstar hasn't been around quite as long as we have. Not that there is anything wrong with that. :)