Going forward

By now, everyone on this message board knows what the programs strengths and weaknesses are. We all recognize we are a ways off from being a playoff team. Forget the last 15 years because I realize its been a while since we've had success. We've heard the word patience plenty of times and noone wants to hear it but we have to just give this program a chance to build without comparing ourselves or thinking that another change will do the trick. For those thinking year 3 is the deal breaker for Riley I hope you can have some common sense going forward. Like we've all said on here, we are a ways off. With that being said, I think its best to treat these coaches as if they'll be hear for a long time and let them work on getting the program back to a high level and do our part by supporting them through thick and thin. Nebraska will always have a solid foundation but theres no doubt its a rebuilding program so let them try and build it and if you want to analyze the coaching then lets see if we can get our weaknesses turned around and build on our strengths without comparing ourselves. That is what we should be analyzing the coaching on right now. This doesn't mean i have low expectations or don't want to win. I have high expectations and believe we should compete for a big ten title every year but right now i think we need to shift our thinking a little and focus on establishing a program again. When the day comes to where we are a playoff contender we will know how to handle it because we've done it plenty of times and thats the expectation but going forward the next few years I think its time we stay a proud fan base but check our ego and realize that not only do we need to let the coaches build the program back up but also let them run the program. It's going to be a few years if you haven;t figured that out so theres no need to search for perfection right now. Not being negative but just common sense. Theres a lot of great young players and more to come. Lets just let it play out because if we keep improving there will still be great football in the near future even if it doesn't bring a championship as soon as wed like

• Fire 5

Yeah, agreed. Tom Osborne once said something to the effect that, every single day you either get better or worse--depending on training, injury, study, nutrition, etc. Let's just hope NU is doing constructive things to move in the right direction. I think we are. Just haven't gotten any traction yet is all. GBR!

Until we're recruiting at an elite level (consistent top 15 classes at least), we will not be playoff contenders. And if you haven't noticed yet, that won't be happening with this coaching staff. Honestly, I'm not sure any coaching staff will be able to do that here. We simply don't have the fertile recruiting grounds nearby. Being younger, I can't explain how we did it in the past, but my best explanations are:

1) College football wasn't the factory that it is today. Kids value a program like Ole Miss (just an example) more than Nebraska because they don't care about the pageantry and tradition, they just want the best opportunity to get to the NFL.

2) We ran a gimmicky offense that required athletes and tough lineman. We didn't have to out-recruit USC, OU, UT, Florida, FSU, Miami, etc for pro-style QBs and WRs. Nowadays we do.

3) Terrific coaching staff.

I think the brightest future for Nebraska requires figuring out what Wisconsin and even Iowa do. They always have tough football teams, especially in the trenches. I don't think we've lacked skill players recently, but our lines have been, for lack of a better term, pussies. Wisconsin doesn't get good recruiting classes, but they have a brand, and that brand is built on their offensive line. Why can't we be the same way? Then add in the better skill players, we should be the best in the West most years.

• Fire 1

back then Nebraska was way ahead of everyone. we practicially taught S and C to the rest of the college football world...they were one of 20 or so teams on TV and kids would leave florida to play here...and even TO had struggled back then until the 90's. ..we had damn nasty lines.. ....not the same today...most kids don't have to leave their state anymore to get on TV.

for me it would be easy...establish and identity as lineman U...Kinda like Penn state was/is LBer U. id have the best everything in here from lineman coaches, etc. id pay way over the top for them......make this the place lineman go to move on.....go offer the best line coaches 4X what they re making now . behind a great line Oz would look like Ron Dayne...

Until we have an AD that actually does a search for the best that money can buy...this will be what we see.

If you are at NU and you hire a head football coach where some of the fans say "who?" you have made a mistake. And we can go back and look at the thread from two years ago and there will be posts like that.

• Fire 6

with that line, id get 4.2 Yards per carry and I'm a 50 YO man.

as far as paying ....I would become the laughing stock of the nation...I would want every big time program saying..."Nebraska paid what for that guy? and "coach, I couldn't say no...I have to go...."

3 years from now, when we are swimming in great line players, we will be the ones laughing all the way to the bank ...the increase in sales of everything pays for it...3 years, that's it.

with the money we are going to be getting from the B1G starting next year..it would be my first move....

Basically the pipeline disappeared with Solich's dismissal of Milt Tenopir. Callahan knows linemen and he recruited some big tall 'stretchy' guys but really we lost our running game dominance with the dink, dunk and duck of the Callahan version of the famed "West Coast Offense". Unfortunately, we never ever returned to anything even resembling that since. The passing game is flashy and gets lots of kudos from ESPN and far too many of the talking heads of the sports world but it doesn't win football games consistantly. Very few places have stadiums filled with fans who actually want to watch the smashmouth brand of Husker Power football EXCEPT in Lincoln.

Tenopir literally built the majority of his linemen in the weight rooms with the help of Epley and company. We reloaded every year as the next bunch of short 'squatty' Nebraska cornfed beef eaters, born to wear the red, who learned how to get down and dirty and punch their way down the field. We found a number of diamonds in the rough and the once a decade guys like Will Shields when one of our top ten competitors slipped up along the way. Nebraska produced the lion's share locally I do believe. We are missing some of these guys in our fly all of the country 'grass is greener' mentality in recruiting too. Perhaps part of this is a result of hiring so many coaches in the past 15 years that are not from Nebraska and vacinity and therefore believe there are no good football hearts/minds/bodies in this state. The Wyomings, No Dakota States, K States, etc all have found a handful each year.

• Fire 1

By now, everyone on this message board knows what the programs strengths and weaknesses are. We all recognize we are a ways off from being a playoff team. Forget the last 15 years because I realize its been a while since we've had success. We've heard the word patience plenty of times and noone wants to hear it but we have to just give this program a chance to build without comparing ourselves or thinking that another change will do the trick. For those thinking year 3 is the deal breaker for Riley I hope you can have some common sense going forward. Like we've all said on here, we are a ways off. With that being said, I think its best to treat these coaches as if they'll be hear for a long time and let them work on getting the program back to a high level and do our part by supporting them through thick and thin. Nebraska will always have a solid foundation but theres no doubt its a rebuilding program so let them try and build it and if you want to analyze the coaching then lets see if we can get our weaknesses turned around and build on our strengths without comparing ourselves. That is what we should be analyzing the coaching on right now. This doesn't mean i have low expectations or don't want to win. I have high expectations and believe we should compete for a big ten title every year but right now i think we need to shift our thinking a little and focus on establishing a program again. When the day comes to where we are a playoff contender we will know how to handle it because we've done it plenty of times and thats the expectation but going forward the next few years I think its time we stay a proud fan base but check our ego and realize that not only do we need to let the coaches build the program back up but also let them run the program. It's going to be a few years if you haven;t figured that out so theres no need to search for perfection right now. Not being negative but just common sense. Theres a lot of great young players and more to come. Lets just let it play out because if we keep improving there will still be great football in the near future even if it doesn't bring a championship as soon as wed like

It's a beautiful day in the neighborhood.....a beautiful day in the neighborhood

Ok boys and girls " it won't hurt abit I promise" and then you can have a lolipop and a ribbon

These ain't the droids you are looking for.

Yeah, agreed. Tom Osborne once said something to the effect that, every single day you either get better or worse--depending on training, injury, study, nutrition, etc. Let's just hope NU is doing constructive things to move in the right direction. I think we are. Just haven't gotten any traction yet is all. GBR!

lol ya think

There is something that starts with the Athletic Director. You can call it vision, or adherence to core principles.

HC hires need to be based on these. Without adherence to core principles you get this current mess.

Look a Husker Alvarez and what he is doing at Wisconsin. That is a committment to core principles. You can either heed this, or get schooled by it annually.