Where Have the Huskers Come From?

Mavric

Six of the top eight are in the 500 mile radius. On one had that might seem obvious but on the other it shows that - historically - we've been able to get a lot of players from close by.

Overall 10 from the 500 mile radius plus four more from the B1G footprint.

Biggest surprise for me: I didn't realize we've had so many guys from Pennsylvania. It did say we've only had one since 1999 so I guess that's why.

Here's the numbers from each state:

1 - Nebraska (1409)

2 - California (148)

3 - Texas (129)

4 - Illinois (98)

5 - Iowa (74)

6 - Kansas (64)

7 - Missouri (58)

8 - Colorado (55)

9 - Pennsylvania (54)

10 - Minnesota (48)

11 - Ohio (47)

12 - Florida (42)

13 - Michigan (38)

14 - New Jersey (37)

15 - South Dakota (30)

16 - Wisconsin (29)

17 - Arizona (24)

18 - Oklahoma (17)

19 - Georgia (13)

20 - Mississippi / Indiana (11)

It's surprising how many more scholie athletes have come from Nebraska (1409) than from the next highest state, California (148). I'm guessing our early years of football skew this towards Nebraska athletes.

• Fire 3

Here's the numbers from each state:

1 - Nebraska (1409)

2 - California (148)

3 - Texas (129)

4 - Illinois (98)

5 - Iowa (74)

6 - Kansas (64)

7 - Missouri (58)

8 - Colorado (55)

9 - Pennsylvania (54)

10 - Minnesota (48)

11 - Ohio (47)

12 - Florida (42)

13 - Michigan (38)

14 - New Jersey (37)

15 - South Dakota (30)

16 - Wisconsin (29)

17 - Arizona (24)

18 - Oklahoma (17)

19 - Georgia (13)

20 - Mississippi / Indiana (11)

It's surprising how many more scholie athletes have come from Nebraska (1409) than from the next highest state, California (148). I'm guessing our early years of football skew this towards Nebraska athletes.

They certainly do. The rural areas of our country just aren't producing as many kids anymore due to a variety of reasons. There were 8 kids in my family two of us still live in Nebraska (I'm not one of them). My aunt and uncle that live in Dalton NE had 3 kids and none of them are still in NE. Another aunt and uncle were farmers outside Hastings, 2 kids, both moved away. In just my extended family, 9 out of 11 kids moved away.

Small towns are consolidating their schools because there simply isn't enough kids to populate them all.

As nice as it was to be able to point to a line full of homegrown, corn-fed linemen and say with pride, 'Those are OUR boys!', it's probably not going to happen again. At least not in the foreseable future.

The state that kind of surprised me was illinois. I don't recall many but perhaps that was from many years gone by? It would be interesting to see the numbers if you count on scholarships and then only for the past 50 years. Not sure but I am guessing the above numbers include lots of walk ons and by gone days from way back.

The state that kind of surprised me was illinois. I don't recall many but perhaps that was from many years gone by? It would be interesting to see the numbers if you count on scholarships and then only for the past 50 years. Not sure but I am guessing the above numbers include lots of walk ons and by gone days from way back.

Wilbon and Westy are both from Illinois that's two right there.
  • Fire 1

Wasn't Joe Ganz from Chicago?

Wasn't Joe Ganz from Chicago?

Yepper, the burb of Palos Heights