Trump Legal Troubles

30 minutes ago, TGHusker said:

So does that mean he really does not have any evidence to his defense?

His goose is cooked. 

I think they are refusing to hand anything over hoping that his immunity decision goes in his way.

So.....yes....his goose is cooked.

7 hours ago, Moiraine said:

This presidential immunity thing could make or break this country. If a president can’t be prosecuted for actions they took while president, they have nothing to fear while they attempt to stay in power. 

There's no way this flies. Trump's lawyers are twisting the current interpretation of presidential immunity into a pretzel. It's pretty commonly assumed (though it's never been ruled on that I know of) that a sitting president could not be tried until first impeached and convicted. I don't think anybody assumes that a former president couldn't be tried if he escaped a trial in congress. The only conceivable way I could see that happening is if they could some how successfully argue that the chargers relate to official duties of the office (foreign negotiations, signing legislation, etc.).

• Plus1 2
  • TBH 1

5 hours ago, ZRod said:

There's no way this flies. Trump's lawyers are twisting the current interpretation of presidential immunity into a pretzel. It's pretty commonly assumed (though it's never been ruled on that I know of) that a sitting president could not be tried until first impeached and convicted. I don't think anybody assumes that a former president couldn't be tried if he escaped a trial in congress. The only conceivable way I could see that happening is if they could some how successfully argue that the chargers relate to official duties of the office (foreign negotiations, signing legislation, etc.).

Twisting in a pretzel is right.

i mean it’s one thing to suggest to the “Every POTUS is a war criminal, drone strikes are murdering civilians, etc.” that the president cannot be hauled into The Hague and tried on murder charges. I’m sympathetic to people who hold that view, but that’s a completely different issue in a completely different jurisdiction.

His lawyers really stepped in a rake in cartoonish fashion by arguing POTUS can just call in hits on political rivals without consequence if Congress does not impeach and convict. That essentially means POTUS is untouchable if Congress continues being its dysfunctional hyperpartisan self.

What’s a stop a president from just killing their political opponents and any Congress member who they felt would try to impeach them?

Or what if, unlike Trump, they had the capacity for shame or belief consequences existed and they just resigned like Nixon before they could be removed? Are they just off scot free then?

This is such a stupid, shortsighted, crazy argument they willingly made, I’d expect nothing less.

• Plus1 2
6 hours ago, TGHusker said:

The sooner trump gets in jail along wt the election of someone who won't pardon him - the better. 

If the American people want him as President - because they believe what he says, like what he does and reflects their values - they deserve the opportunity to elect him. 

Frankly the fact that he's favored to win tells me enough about the median voter in this country and how stupid they are, so I say we give them the leadership they deserve. 

8 hours ago, Dr. Strangelove said:

If the American people want him as President - because they believe what he says, like what he does and reflects their values - they deserve the opportunity to elect him. 

Frankly the fact that he's favored to win tells me enough about the median voter in this country and how stupid they are, so I say we give them the leadership they deserve. 

Sometimes we have to save people from themselves.