The Republican Utopia

4 hours ago, funhusker said:

Conversation on 1110KFAB this morning as I drove into work:

"Who's worse: a married State Senator with children kissing a female lobbyist (who's not his wife) at a bar, or the 'scumbag' that follows him around and records it?"

and go!

It's not surprising, talk radio has been like this for two decades at this point.

They are the propaganda arm of the R party.  They firmly believe that no matter what evils their members commit they are justified, because winning at all costs in elections keeps those god hating, tax loving, queer liberals from ruining their country.  I mean at this point the republican party has all but directly said to the country, we will do anything to win elections and hold onto power and it's all justified, there will be no accountability because there is no line that shouldn't be crossed if it means keeping those liberals out of office.  We see it every week from Washington on down.

Edited by methodical
  • Plus1 2

17 hours ago, Moiraine said:

@BigRedBuster @Comfortably Numb @TGHusker

What do you 3 want long term? At least 2 of you seem to want Democrats to win the House and Senate, but I'm guessing that's not what you want permanently.

Moiraine, what 2 of us did you think want Dems to win congress??  Just wondering.

that question aside - after considering the SOS firing today and the ongoing blinders in place by congressional repubs and the lack of ethical and political courage of repubs inside and outside of the admin - I think what is best for our nation is a total reset of DC.  The repubs don't deserve to lead - they have failed.  They have become the party of Trump and that is not what I signed up for.  They have failed on the legislative end and they have failed to protect the country from the monster we have in the WH.   So if I wasn't in your original list of 2 - I am now.  I cannot be apart of empowering the administration by supporting republicans who are in collusion wt Trump.

The nation's political health is more important than my pet political philosophy & positions at this time.   We can over come wrong policy in time, but it is a slow march back to political soundness once it has rotten from within by allowing a political hack and despot to lead us (and some people believe he will win in 2020:facepalm: - we can't allow that to even be an option)

• Plus1 3

South Carolina Gov. Henry McMaster (R) says he thinks the National School Walkout is a "shameful" attempt by a left-wing group to use students to further their political agenda.

So, how old do you have to get before you forget what it was like to be a teenager?

I was immature, but I cared a lot about current events, and I wasn't stupid. A group did organize this, but they aren't "using" a bunch of mindless zombies. Some of these students are old enough to vote and the ones who aren't old enough aren't all stupid.

I actually took part in a walk out myself but it was about something way less important.

Edited by Moiraine

1 hour ago, BigRedBuster said:

The guy even admits he lies....that’s a great way to build trust with our allies. 

President Trump boasted in a fundraising speech Wednesday that he made up information in a meeting with the leader of a top U.S. ally, saying he insisted to Canadian Prime Minister Justin Trudeau that the United States runs a trade deficit with its neighbor to the north without knowing whether that was the case.

“Trudeau came to see me. He’s a good guy, Justin. He said, ‘No, no, we have no trade deficit with you, we have none. Donald, please,’ ” Trump said, mimicking Trudeau, according to audio obtained by The Washington Post. “Nice guy, good-looking guy, comes in — ‘Donald, we have no trade deficit.’ He’s very proud because everybody else, you know, we’re getting killed.

“... So, he’s proud. I said, ‘Wrong, Justin, you do.’ I didn’t even know. ... I had no idea. I just said, ‘You’re wrong.’ You know why? Because we’re so stupid. … And I thought they were smart. I said, ‘You’re wrong, Justin.’ He said, ‘Nope, we have no trade deficit.’ I said, ‘Well, in that case, I feel differently,’ I said, ‘but I don’t believe it.’ I sent one of our guys out, his guy, my guy, they went out, I said, ‘Check, because I can’t believe it.’

‘Well, sir, you’re actually right. We have no deficit, but that doesn’t include energy and timber. … And when you do, we lose $17 billion a year.’ It’s incredible.”

The Office of the United States Trade Representative says the United States has a trade surplus with Canada.

Holy crap.

Who could have possibly seen this coming? 

I think what's so bothersome about this ridiculous little man is his glorification of ignorance. It'd be one thing to be just an idiot. That's essentially the public persona we associate with Bush 43.

But 45 seems acutely aware that he's completely ignorant of any and all matters on which he should be informed in order to capably do his duty to the country. He's always been someone who's floated through life mostly carefree because the tremendous leg up he was born into endowed him with enough money that what he actually did never really mattered. 

But what we've got now is a president who thinks it's funny and charming and awesome that he can apply zero effort at his job and just lie to other world leaders to get what he wants. And you've got a rather large subset of the population who just absolutely eat his vainglorious narcissism up. "Trump gets away with not giving a f#ck... that's so cool, I should be more like that!" They dig how boastful he is about his know-nothingness. 

Boy, we've sure dug ourselves a big hole on this one. This chucklehead should've been relieved of his "duties" a really long time ago.

• Plus1 1
12 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

so....with this thought process, the way to stop him from doing severely bad things is to have major immediate punishment. 

Im all for that with him. 

I'm fine with the first half of the top tweet. But his logic on the bottom is dumb. Most/all schools are gun free zones, so obviously most/all school shootings are in gun free zones. Also:

James Alan Fox, a criminologist at Northeastern University, pointed out that "gun-free" doesn't mean police in these schools can't be armed. Just the opposite: “Police are allowed to have guns in schools," Fox said. "They’re sworn officers.”

At the time the law was passed, Bassetti said, schools had a very different gun problem from the one we’re discussing after Parkland: Students were bringing guns to school in jaw-dropping numbers and shooting one another in targeted, not random, attacks. One 2003 analysis found that from 1990 to 1999, 84% of the 90 school gunmen identified by researchers killed just one person.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/2018/02/28/gun-free-school-zones-draw-trumps-ire-but-advocates-protest/381902002/

Edited by Moiraine
  • Plus1 1

I've been seeing this meme going around about being nicer to your fellow students instead of suggesting that anything be done about guns. And someone made a great point on that... the people suggesting they all be nicer to each other are the same types of people who tell others they're being PC snowflakes.

• Plus1 2

On 3/16/2018 at 10:18 AM, BigRedBuster said:

The fact that her lawyer won't say who physically threatened her and instead refers that question to her upcoming 60 Minutes interview seems more a plug than anything.

If Trump, or someone connected with Trump threatened her then we have a story. If it was some crackpot on the internet... that's like every third thing posted to the internet.

• Plus1 1