knapplc

The Republican Utopia

1 hour ago, NM11046 said:

This should be a wake up call for all of us.  AL was won because POC got out to vote, specifically black women.

Well, if I'm a modern-day GOP member, these results completely validate my efforts to intentionally make voting more difficult for Women, POC, and the sub-30 crowd. 

• Plus1 1

3 hours ago, commando said:

not defending trump at all..... but bannon is the sith lord on the republican dark side...trump is only his apprentice.   

Steven Bannon is truly the cheap counterfeit knockoff version of Karl Rove.

Except no one he's stood behind has won except for Trump.

• Plus1 1

3 minutes ago, VectorVictor said:

Well, if I'm a modern-day GOP member, these results completely validate my efforts to intentionally make voting more difficult for Women, POC, and the sub-30 crowd. 

Speaking of which, check out Alabama Secretary of State John Merrill's (R) comments on voter registration:

“As long as I’m secretary of state of Alabama, you’re going to have to show some initiative to become a registered voter.”

Five states have approved plans to allow all eligible citizens to automatically be registered to vote, unless they opt-out, and dozens more are considering following suit.

But Alabama Secretary of State John Merrill (R) opposes such a practice, calling it the “sorry and lazy way out.”

“I don’t think that just because your birthday comes around, you should be registered to vote,” he said in an interview with Brian Jenkins, the director of a documentary about America’s various barriers to ballot access.

To explain his opposition, Merrill cited the efforts of civil rights leaders like Congressman John Lewis (D-GA), Dr. Martin Luther King Jr., and Rosa Parks, and other black leaders like Rep. Terri Sewell (D-AL).

“These people fought — some of them were beaten, some of them were killed — because of their desire to ensure that everybody that wanted to had the right to register to vote and participate in the process,” he said.

“I’m not going to cheapen the work they did, I’m not going to embarrass them by allowing somebody that’s too sorry to get up off their rear end to go register to vote… because they think they deserve the right because they’ve turned 18,” he continued, growing angry.

It's some next level doucebaggery to cite civil rights heroes in an effort to undermine voting in America.

• Plus1 1

19 hours ago, BigRedBuster said:

This part was amazing to me. 

amazing -  and the guy has been elected 3x so he says.  Speaks volumes about the voters of Bama.  I thought the video had ended wt that dumbfounded look he had -

3 minutes ago, TGHusker said:

amazing -  and the guy has been elected 3x so he says.  Speaks volumes about the voters of Bama.  I thought the video had ended wt that dumbfounded look he had -

That slow blink... Lord Almighty. 

14 hours ago, RedDenver said:

Damning statement from Senate Leadership Fund CEO Steven Law: “This is a brutal reminder that candidate quality matters regardless of where you are running. Not only did Steve Bannon cost us a critical Senate seat in one of the most Republican states in the country, but he also dragged the President of the United States into his fiasco.”

Maybe this will be the spur for Republicans to reject Bannon and his ilk.

Mr Law made a mistake is saying that Bannon dragged Trump into this.  Trump got in on his own free will.  Trump had rejected Moore but out of having more concern with his agenda than ethics he went full bore in support of Moore.  Trump again showed his lack of character and political wisdom by doing so.

14 hours ago, RedDenver said:

Trump put his full support behind Moore, so I don't think your scenario is likely (although possible).

Haha!! Well done.

Oh, man. I meant Strange, not Gillespie.

But I think the issue is this: among people who are aboard the "reject Bannon" train, they already oppose Trump. Among people who support Trump, he can do no wrong. This is a natural cover, which Trump has already employed: he says he backed Strange because he knew Moore was less likely to win. Fox called this a referendum not on their Glorious President, but on Harvey Weinstein. In Alabama, the Republicans are furious and livid. But they're mad that they elected a "baby killer". They blame Republicans in the sense that they haven't accomplished passing the tax bill yet or repealed Obamacare.

These people will come home.

I feel like this is the best place to put this, as it's a look at a fairly prominent alt-right guy from Sweden. The American Right should know what they've gotten in bed with, what their party and a lot of their base refuse to get away from:

• Plus1 1

1 hour ago, zoogs said:

I feel like this is the best place to put this, as it's a look at a fairly prominent alt-right guy from Sweden. The American Right should know what they've gotten in bed with, what their party and a lot of their base refuse to get away from:

Did you notice the clip in the feed of Bill Maher, years ago, defending Mary Kay Latrouneau. she was the teacher in, I believe, Washington, who had sexual relations with her 14 year old student......Kind of creepy. 

Still shocked that Maher hasn't had his own sexual harassment scandal. He's has a very Louis C.K. kinda vibe to his material, and I think he lives it in real life.

But back in the day, pretty much any comedian could observe that a 14 year old boy having sex with his female teacher would get more high fives than horrified condemnation. At least from the men. 

Was that meant to be a “the left, too”?

There is no comparison. And specific to Bill Maher, I find him a smug, self-serving churl.

5 minutes ago, zoogs said:

Was that meant to be a “the left, too”?

There is no comparison. And specific to Bill Maher, I find him a smug, self-serving churl.

Nope, my mention of the clip was specific to Bill Maher.  

1 hour ago, BigRedBuster said:

This is an irresponsibly lazy take from this person. Per the reporting she's referencing, some alt-right agitators tried to cook up a hoax to take down Schumer. It didn't pass muster. This is not the situation with Franken. 

This article gives good reason why the Dems could take down Ted Cruz in the next election.  Besides not being a very likable person, his #s are dropping in Texas and the Dems have a good potential candidate to take him out.   Cruz upset Trump supporters wt his non-endorsement at the convention and then he upset the never trump repubs by his reversal. Trying to have it both ways you end up wt nothing.

http://theweek.com/articles/743119/democrats-should-after-ted-cruz

These are the people Republicans are voting for.  Roy Moore lost by less than 2%.  This guy defeated an incumbent Democrat. 

What are you doing, Republicans?  For the love of all that is holy, don't elect his wife!!!

A Kentucky lawmaker accused of molestation commits suicide. Now his widow wants his seat

He eked out a victory over the Democratic incumbent, Linda Howlett Belcher — a retired principal he called “Lyin’ Linda Lou” — winning 9,342 votes to her 9,186 votes.

But Johnson had his own record of dubious claims.

He claimed he had healed the sick and raised the dead. He claimed he had set up “safe zones” in Los Angeles during the 1992 riots. He claimed he served as a White House chaplain under multiple presidents. He claimed he served as an ambassador to the United Nations. He claimed he set up a morgue and gave last rites to the dying in New York outside the collapsed World Trade Center towers on Sept. 11, 2001.

But in a seven-month investigation published Monday, the Kentucky Center for Investigative Reporting couldn’t find evidence that Johnson’s stories about himself were true.

What the small journalism nonprofit did find was “a trail of police records and court files, shattered lives and a flagrant disregard for truth.”

In the 1980s, police investigated Johnson on suspicion of destroying his car in an arson because he needed insurance money. Criminal charges were dismissed after he completed a six-month pretrial diversion program.

Then, in 2000, an arsonist burned down Johnson’s church, and insurance investigators discovered it was deeply in debt. A secretary accused Johnson of financial misappropriation. Johnson blamed the Ku Klux Klan. No charges were filed.

Johnson rebuilt the church, which would later be cited by the state for unlicensed liquor sales at a bar inside. Johnson called church drinking “communion.”

At boozy church gatherings, Johnson would sometimes kiss young women on the lips, the Kentucky Center for Investigative Reporting said.

In the story’s most explosive allegation, a woman named Maranda Richmond accused a drunk Johnson of digitally penetrating her while she was 17 and sleeping on a couch at Johnson’s church on New Year’s morning in 2013.

Richmond, now 21, complained to police later that year, but no charges were filed.

When the journalists’ investigation came out Monday, state lawmakers again called on Johnson to resign. He refused.

In a news conference at his church on Tuesday, Johnson told reporters that “anybody that has gotten wobbly in how they’re standing with me in the political ranks, they need to toughen up a little bit.”

But on Wednesday, it appeared Johnson’s internal defenses were crumbling.

In a final Facebook post, Johnson said he had “24/7” post-traumatic stress disorder after the Sept. 11 attacks and “cannot handle it any longer,” according to WDRB-TV. (The post appears to have been taken down or is not publicly available.)

The post also denied the molestation claim and said “only GOD knows the truth, nothing is the way they make it out to be. AMERICA will not survive this type of judge and jury fake news. Conservatives take a stand.”

Bullitt County Sheriff Donnie Tinnell told WDRB-TV that Johnson had killed himself on a bridge in Mount Washington, Ky.

On 12/15/2017 at 10:13 PM, zoogs said:

American paradise. #freedom

As someone who works in healthcare, this makes my blood boil and my heart weep.

This may not matter to some folks, but scientists and medical professionals... the very people who enable these health initiatives and are affected by them - are yelling about this, as they have been about the Trump administration's utter hostility to good scientific principles for quite some time.

They're silincing inconvenient science. Setting partisanship aside, ANYONE who does this should be called out, and people should freak the f#ck out about it.

Edit: A Reddit user stated it better than I could hope to. Some NSFW language:

I'm a medical writer and educator, I work with medical information and documentation every day. This is just simply insane. Concepts such as "transgender," "fetus," and even "entitlement" are part of the basic vocabulary of contemporary medicine. "Vulnerable" has some easy work-arounds (eg, "high risk"), and "evidence-based" could also be replaced with more specific terminology without any great loss. 

But Jesus ... these people are really insane. I would be getting out of this country if I could. 

It's hard for me to understand why the CDC can't say "evidence-based." I sort of understand the ideology behind "diversity" and "transgender," but I don't really get the removal of the term "evidence-based." 

Edit: After reading it again, the "evidence based" line is acutally the most disturbing to me. The CDC is instructed to say instead "based on evidence but with consideration of community standards." This is f'd up. The CDC should base its recommendations on the strength of the available evidence, not whether it's going to offend the yokels. 

Of all the crazy and f'd-up stuff this administration has done over the last year, this makes me the most angry and also the most sad. It's like watching someone shoot himself in the head in real time. This is what happens when people say "both parties are the same."

Edited by dudeguyy
  • Plus1 2

Sarah Palin is saying Track Palin suffers from PTSD from his time in Iraq (where he did at least one tour, but I think more than one?). If so, it's a reminder that the traumas of war can affect anyone, from any family, anywhere, any time.  If we're going to send our troops off to war, it is our responsibility (through our elected officials in congress & the White House) to take care of what happens to them after it's done. 

The Veteran's Administration has been a mess for a long, long time - several decades.  It needs to be overhauled and the sooner the better. 

• Plus1 1

1 minute ago, knapplc said:

Sarah Palin is saying Track Palin suffers from PTSD from his time in Iraq (where he did at least one tour, but I think more than one?). If so, it's a reminder that the traumas of war can affect anyone, from any family, anywhere, any time.  If we're going to send our troops off to war, it is our responsibility (through our elected officials in congress & the White House) to take care of what happens to them after it's done. 

The Veteran's Administration has been a mess for a long, long time - several decades.  It needs to be overhauled and the sooner the better. 

It definitely sounds like a very sad situation.

Track Palin was arrested Tuesday and charged with assault, interfering with the report of a domestic violence crime and possessing a weapon while intoxicated. At the Trump campaign rally, Sarah Palin blamed the Obama administration’s policies towards veterans for abandoning her son.

January 2016, TIME. That is the first time I remember Palin discussing Track's alleged PTSD. It occurred during a Trump rally and blamed President Obama. If Track's military experience caused him PTSD and is to blame for multiple incidents, I hope he gets the help he deserves. If Sarah is just using this to stump for Trump and/or excuse ridiculous behavior, shame on her.

• Plus1 1

2 hours ago, QMany said:

January 2016, TIME. That is the first time I remember Palin discussing Track's alleged PTSD. It occurred during a Trump rally and blamed President Obama. If Track's military experience caused him PTSD and is to blame for multiple incidents, I hope he gets the help he deserves. If Sarah is just using this to stump for Trump and/or excuse ridiculous behavior, shame on her.

At this time, we have no clue about any of that so I think it’s highly inappropriate to speculate that she was using it for political gain. 

I just want this to end.

We're only 1/4 of the way. MAYBE we're only 1/4 of the way. Maybe this is just the beginning of a permanent situation. I still fear that election commission will do real damage when they pretend to have found Black people voting 30 times each.

Edited by Moiraine

House Republicans - led by Devin Nunes (who else?) - investigating the FBI/DOJ for impartiality on their own.

Devin Nunes investigating anyone for impartiality or corruption is an absolute and utter joke. One would be forgiven if they wondered if perhaps he was doing it to try to keep his own nose clean.

• Plus1 1

This is interesting.

Trump doing his "I don't want to talk about this, so let me talk about this" shtick is rather unsurprising. But it's almost as if they forgot their previous attempts to toss out healthcare law for cobbled-together garbage polled from low 20s to low double digits (12%!). It's as if Trump forgot this, decided this was still a winning issue for them & felt the need to highlight the fact they were doing something everyone except their base told them was verboten.

Perhaps some day we will all look back and realize Trump really was a mad bomber mastermind of political strategy on a level none of us could foresee. I highly doubt it.

• Plus1 1

So proud of who the Nebraskans' have elected (sarcasm).  This guy is seriously such an attention seeking blow hard.  His tweets acting like he's appalled at the POTUS issues and then his actions are the exact opposite.  i am hopeful Nebraskan's see him for what he is and vote him out.  I worry that instead he'll be elevated to an even more visible national stage.  That is certainly his goal.

• Plus1 1

8 hours ago, NM11046 said:

So proud of who the Nebraskans' have elected (sarcasm).  This guy is seriously such an attention seeking blow hard.  His tweets acting like he's appalled at the POTUS issues and then his actions are the exact opposite.  i am hopeful Nebraskan's see him for what he is and vote him out.  I worry that instead he'll be elevated to an even more visible national stage.  That is certainly his goal.

Doesn't matter. He'll just be replaced by somebody else who does the exact same thing.

• Plus1 2

I know this is just awful Roy Moore, but this is the type of stuff we can expect if Trump loses, and his voter "fraud" commission will probably be in full swing by then.

His complaint alleges that out-of-state residents had been allowed to vote and that election fraud experts had concluded through statistical analyses that fraud had taken place. One of the election experts Moore cites is Richard Charnin, who also posts about JFK conspiracy theories and the murder of DNC staffer, Seth Rich.

Moore's complaint also alleged "anomalous" higher voter turnout in Jefferson County, in which census data shows 43% of the population is black. He called the county's 47% voter turnout as "highly unusual" and questioned the integrity of its election results.

25 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

Lol.....oh the irony. 

Wait, I'm confused.  I could be wrong, but I'm almost certain at the WH press briefing SHS claimed all of this was made up by liberal media looking to sell a book.  This tweet makes it appear that Bannon actually was a source.  

I need to go back and read and watch some news from yesterday to get my head straight.  What a clusterf**k!