knapplc

The Republican Utopia

9 hours ago, Ric Flair said:

Living them better than either of the Clintons.

It’s all relative.

1. Why are you so hung up on a person who never held the office, and another who left office nearly 20 years ago?

2. Why pretend you have principles if you will never stand beside them?

• Plus1 8

Aw yes, the famous parable where Jesus said to his apostles "Ye shall call Mary Magdalene horse face."

• Plus1 1
  • Haha 1

Mitch McConnell Calls for Social Security, Medicare, Medicaid Cuts After Passing Tax Cuts, Massive Defense Spending

After instituting a $1.5 trillion tax cut and signing off on a $675 billion budget for the Department of Defense, Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell said Tuesday that the only way to lower the record-high federal deficit would be to cut entitlement programs like Medicare, Medicaid and Social Security.

"It’s disappointing, but it’s not a Republican problem," McConnell said of the deficit, which grew 17 percent to $779 billion in fiscal year 2018. McConnell explained to Bloomberg that "it’s a bipartisan problem: Unwillingness to address the real drivers of the debt by doing anything to adjust those programs to the demographics of America in the future." The deficit has increased 77 percent since McConnell became majority leader in 2015.

New Treasury Department analysis on Monday revealed that corporate tax cuts had a significant impact on the deficit this year. Federal revenue rose by 0.04 percent in 2018, a nearly 100 percent decrease on last year’s 1.5 percent. In fiscal year 2018, tax receipts on corporate income fell to $205 billion from $297 billion in 2017.

Still, McConnell insisted that the change had nothing to do with a lack of revenue or increased spending and instead was due to entitlement and welfare programs. The debt, he said, was very “disturbing” and driven by “the three big entitlement programs that are very popular, Medicare, Social Security and Medicaid.… There’s been a bipartisan reluctance to tackle entitlement changes because of the popularity of those programs. Hopefully, at some point here, we’ll get serious about this.”

Donald Trump promised to leave Medicare untouched on the campaign trail, but Republican leaders like House Speaker Paul Ryan and Florida Senator Marco Rubio have long indicated their desire to cut entitlement programs to pay for their tax cuts.

• Plus1 3

And the nutty thing is right now, if you live in the right markets, there are Republican incumbents who voted for that very bill who are running campaign ads claiming to have stood up & protected pre-existing condition coverage for people!

It's like, absolutely bath#t insane. That's the exact opposite of what they did. 

• Plus1 3

5 minutes ago, Clifford Franklin said:

And the nutty thing is right now, if you live in the right markets, there are Republican incumbents who voted for that very bill who are running campaign ads claiming to have stood up & protected pre-existing condition coverage for people!

It's like, absolutely bath#t insane. That's the exact opposite of what they did. 

Those ads work when the only source of news their constituents consume is Fox News.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

• Plus1 1

1 hour ago, knapplc said:

Those ads work when the only source of news their constituents consume is Fox News.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

and/or when staunch Republicans own the local news networks. 

Remember when a Republican-appointed Supreme Court Judge gutted the Voter Rights Act, claiming there wasn't a need for it anymore?

YEAH ABOUT THAT

15 minutes ago, knapplc said:

Remember when a Republican-appointed Supreme Court Judge gutted the Voter Rights Act, claiming there wasn't a need for it anymore?

YEAH ABOUT THAT

The 2 dots in South Dakota made me suspicious. I want to vomit. I knew it would be where some Native Americans can vote because they tend to vote Democrat. 

south-dakota-federal-lands-indian-reserv

• Plus1 2

7 minutes ago, Moiraine said:

The 2 dots in South Dakota made me suspicious. I want to vomit. I knew it would be where some Native Americans can vote because they tend to vote Democrat. 

south-dakota-federal-lands-indian-reserv

The was literally the very first thing I saw and thought. "Isn't that Rosebud and Pine Ridge?" Low and behold it was. I'd like to see anyone make an argument on how this isn't voter suppression.

• Plus1 2

6 hours ago, knapplc said:

After instituting a $1.5 trillion tax cut and signing off on a $675 billion budget for the Department of Defense, Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell said Tuesday that the only way to lower the record-high federal deficit would be to cut entitlement programs like Medicare, Medicaid and Social Security.

Because screw the elderly and disabled, amiright?

• Plus1 1

Blaming social security for the deficit seems pretty stupid to me.

From what I’ve found, > 85% of social security is paid for by payroll taxes specifically collected for the purpose of funding social secirity. It then goes back to to the people who helped pay for it.

Oh, and at least for the near future, if they removed the cap on paying into social security, the funding from payroll taxes would move back to 100%.

The reason the GOP wants to get rid of it is because businesses pay half or the payroll part and poor people get more than they pay into it. 

• Plus1 2

3 hours ago, Clifford Franklin said:

Not to poke any bears but I'm fairly sure there's a few posters around here who would be losing their damn minds if any president without an R next to their name made a statement like this.

Very busy golfing at his resorts, charging taxpayers for the secret service to use his golf carts.

• Plus1 1

2 hours ago, knapplc said:

Who dis?

All kidding aside, Warren's move was idiotic and Chavez is a know loser.

59 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

Just another lie all the Trumpsters will believe. 

Even if they did... are these people not just seeking asylum (I think that’s what the previous caravan that got his underpants in a bunch over was doing)? Wanting to support refugees escaping violence wouldn’t make Democrats awful.

40 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

And people wonder why I can’t support the Republican Party anymore. 

Some pretty sick stuff.  Thank-you Trump for lowering civility in politics and the nation as a whole.

from the article

That partly explains the preponderance of negative television ads in the Senate races - with half the ads running from Sept. 4 through Oct. 1 taking a negative tone, according to an analysis by the Wesleyan Media Project, which tracks political advertising. More than the 40.8 percent of House ads and 43.2 percent of governors’ ads took a negative tone, according to the study.

It found that more than a third of Republican TV ads for Senate and House races were negative, which it defined as ads that solely focus on a candidate’s rival.

That is sharply higher than the 18.3 percent of Democratic Senate ads and 14.1 percent of Democratic House ads that were negative in tone. It also represented a switch from 2014, when ads by Democrats were substantially more negative than those by Republicans.

“We have to protect our men and boys,” the woman says. “We can’t afford to let white Democrats take us back to bad old days of race verdicts, life sentences and lynchings when a white girl screams rape.”

Bruce Bartlett, a senior policy advisor in the Republican administrations of Ronald Reagan and George H.W. Bush, called it “the most racist ad by a Republican I have ever come across.”

Hill condemned the ad Thursday, calling it “outrageous.” It was produced by Vernon Robinson of Black Americans for the President’s Agenda, a political action committee. Robinson told NBC News the ad ran in Little Rock, the state capital whose population is nearly half African-American.

Malik Russell, a spokesman for the NAACP civil rights group, called the ad sickening and said it was “one of the worst examples of racist ignorance and historic misappropriation.”

He blamed the Trump White House for setting the tone, saying in a statement, “The racism, hateful and disrespectful rhetoric targeting immigrants, women and communities of color coming from the White House has served as a powerful enabler to those around the nation who support white supremacy.”

• Plus1 1

2 hours ago, knapplc said:

This is-  I'm not even sure what the right word is: monstrous? A group that purports to help children is more concerned with religious bigotry than helping those children. Wow.

1 hour ago, RedDenver said:

This is-  I'm not even sure what the right word is: monstrous? A group that purports to help children is more concerned with religious bigotry than helping those children. Wow.

One man's anti-Semitism is another man's "religious freedom."

• Plus1 2

This is another one of those "do we seriously need this" laws, like the Sharia ban, bathroom laws, cake laws. Everybody just needs to learn to play nice together.

• Plus1 1