The Republican Utopia

1 hour ago, Moiraine said:

It’s the claim I read in an article about it. I’m pretty sure he used it because Carville did.

It doesn’t matter whether the audience was ignorant about it being used 20 years ago or not. Being a Democrat or non Republican now doesn’t mean you support or supported Clinton or any other Democrats in the 90s or would if they said the same thing today. I’m against what the Republican party has been doing the past 10-20 years but I have never liked Clinton. It’s not okay to say it regardless of the purpose.

I’m unsure about people getting offended then changing their minds. When did this happen?

He seems to have said it for the shock value...and to educate Democrats how little respect their leaders have historically had for those alleging sexual abuse.

Bill Clinton is a rapist and serial sexual predator. He's the white Bill Cosby, but Democrats elected him twice anyway and still celebrate the guy as their champion. The fact Clinton holds women in such complete contempt is hugely relevant. Clinton has done far far worse than Kavanaugh was falsely accused of...and Dems love the guy and hate Kavanaugh.

It's completely ridiculous hypocrisy. Graham was right to call them on it.

2 hours ago, Clifford Franklin said:

So you're admitting the GOP at this point is a bunch of useless trolls?

Is educating the hapless and ignorant "trolling" now? I don't think so.

1 minute ago, Clifford Franklin said:

A very thoughtful thread about why the plight of the Never-Trump Republicans, why conservatives consistently eat their own for not being conservative enough & where the GOP goes from here.

errata

Rubin is in no sense a conservative. It’s not just that she hates Trump. It’s that she opposes virtually everything the Republican Party stands for. Calling her a conservative in order to oretend their editorial page is fair and balanced is remarkably dishonest.

56 minutes ago, Clifford Franklin said:

A very thoughtful thread about why the plight of the Never-Trump Republicans, why conservatives consistently eat their own for not being conservative enough & where the GOP goes from here.

I didn't read it. But my guess is the people complaining are confusing conservative with GOP. And she probably is still GOP, but the never Trump people in the GOP should become independents. There aren't plenty of reasons not to associate with the Democratic party and even more to not associate with the Republican party.

36 minutes ago, Moiraine said:

I didn't read it. But my guess is the people complaining are confusing conservative with GOP. And she probably is still GOP, but the never Trump people in the GOP should become independents. There aren't plenty of reasons not to associate with the Democratic party and even more to not associate with the Republican party.

That's pretty much the thrust of the thread.

Trumpers and the most extreme conservatives within the party are demanding purity by trying to drive out moderates & Never-Trumpers like Rubin with whom they disagree.

They argue that moderates & Never-Trumpers are also mistaken when they try to identify as conservative because the meaning of political labels change over time. Conservative now means those who explicitly share Trump's views. Never-Trumpers should give up use of the word conservative because those in power now have irreparably damaged what it means anyway.

19 minutes ago, Clifford Franklin said:

Never-Trumpers should give up use of the word conservative because those in power now have irreparably damaged what it means anyway.

I was going to say they should try to take back the word, but I don't think it ever made much sense to begin with. Maybe for some of their policies but not for most.

Police Removed A Texas Yard Sign Showing A GOP Elephant With Its Trunk Up A Woman's Skirt

Police in Texas removed an anti-Republican political sign from a woman's yard Tuesday night last week, amid nationwide rancor over the Senate's vote on Brett Kavanaugh's confirmation to the Supreme Court.

The poster, made by Marion Stanford of Hamilton, Texas, and placed in her yard, shows an elephant painted in red, white, and blue with stars, a well-known symbol of the Republican Party. The elephant is sticking its trunk up the skirt of a young blonde girl with pigtails crying for help. Beside the image is the slogan "Your vote matters."

Stanford told the Washington Post that she painted the sign in response to the testimony of Kavanaugh and Christine Blasey Ford, who has accused the judge of attempting to rape her when the two were in high school, reported. Kavanaugh was sworn in as the newest Supreme Court justice Saturday afternoon after a tight vote that drew major protests in Washington, DC, and other cities around the country.

Oj0L8lW.png

And you might think that the craziest part of this story is the police trampling this woman's First Amendment rights, but that's where you'd be wrong.

They did that after the Texas secretary of agriculture, Sid Miller, wrote a Facebook post expressing disapproval of the sign Tuesday in which he lied about the nature of the sign:

This is in Hamilton, Texas and is supposed to be Judge Kavanaugh's young daughter.

Stay classy, Republicans.

49 minutes ago, knapplc said:

Oj0L8lW.png

And you might think that the craziest part of this story is the police trampling this woman's First Amendment rights, but that's where you'd be wrong.

They did that after the Texas secretary of agriculture, Sid Miller, wrote a Facebook post expressing disapproval of the sign Tuesday in which he lied about the nature of the sign:

Stay classy, Republicans.

Who cares? 

5 hours ago, Ric Flair said:

Rubin is in no sense a conservative. It’s not just that she hates Trump. It’s that she opposes virtually everything the Republican Party stands for. Calling her a conservative in order to oretend their editorial page is fair and balanced is remarkably dishonest.

What exactly does the Republican Party stand for?

• Plus1 1

2 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

What exactly does the Republican Party stand for?

Limited and constitutional government. A strong border and a strong military. Prioritizing the interests of America over those of the rest of the world. Equal protection under the law. Due process. NOT falsely and cynically accusing the other side's judicial nominees of sexual assault and gang rape in order to gain political advantage.

The list goes on, but you get the gist.

2 minutes ago, Ric Flair said:

Limited and constitutional government. A strong border and a strong military. Prioritizing the interests of America over those of the rest of the world. Equal protection under the law. Due process. NOT falsely and cynically accusing the other side's judicial nominees of sexual assault and gang rape in order to gain political advantage.

The list goes on, but you get the gist.

Yhen why don’t they vote in people who stand for that?

and...at what point did this become what they stand for?

• Plus1 1