The Republican Utopia

1 hour ago, HuskerNation1 said:

Why don't left-leaning politicians strongly condemn those fringe elements of BLM?  I have not seen a persistent effort by the Left to call this out.  

56 minutes ago, HuskerNation1 said:

Obama NEVER condemned the protesters that chanted that they wanted dead cops, and if you can find where he specifically called that out, please share it.  

You're just not looking.

Obama Condemns 'Criminal' Ferguson Violence

"There are productive ways of responding... and there are destructive ways of responding... those are criminal acts. People should be prosecuted if they engage in criminal acts."

Obama Condemns 'Vicious, Calculated and Despicable' Dallas Shootings

“We are horrified over these events and we stand united with the people and the police department in Dallas,” he continued. The U.S. police have “an extraordinarily difficult job,” ge said, and “today is a wrenching reminder of the sacrifices they make for us.”

Obama: 'Nothing justifies violence against law enforcement'

"President Obama said the fatal shootings of three Louisiana police were "the work of cowards who speak for no one," telling reporters late Sunday afternoon, "Nothing justifies violence against law enforcement.” He added, "My fellow Americans, only we can prove, through words and through deeds, that we will not be divided, and we’re going to have to keep doing it again and again and again. That’s how this country gets united. That’s how we bring people of good will together." In the statement, Obama condemned the attacks "in the strongest sense of the word. These are attacks on public servants, on the rule of law, and on civilized society, and they have to stop," Obama said."

Obama condemns violence at Trump rally

"We saw in San Jose these protesters starting to pelt stuff [at] Trump supporters. That's not what our democracy is about," Obama said. "That's not what you do. There's no room for violence. There's no place for shouting. There's no room for a politics that fails to at least listen to the other side — even if you vehemently disagree. Because I believe if you've got the better argument, then you don't need to do that. Just go out there and organize and persuade."

Black Lives Matter condemns Dallas, pushes forward with protests

'"Black activists have raised the call for an end to violence, not an escalation of it. Yesterday's attack was the result of the actions of a lone gunman. To assign the actions of one person to an entire movement is dangerous and irresponsible. We continue our efforts to bring about a better world for all of us," BLM wrote.'

‘Shooting police is not a civil rights tactic’: Activists condemn killing of officers

“There are more questions right now than answers,” Mckesson said of the shooting in Baton Rouge. “The movement began as a response to violence, it was a call to end violence, and that call to end violence was true two years ago, was true 10 days ago, and is true today. Our call has been a call for justice, a living breathing justice,” he said. “A just world is a world where people don’t experience the trauma in the first place.”

“We all denounce the killing of police officers,” Al Sharpton said. “We don’t want to see this movement, which began with the killing of Eric Garner, smeared as an anti-police movement. We certainly don’t condone violence.”

Black Lives Matter Leader Condemns Violence at St. Paul Protest

Rashad Turner, who leads Black Lives Matter in St. Paul, tells TIME that he blames much of the violence on people who he says weren’t from the area.

“There were people outside of the community I didn’t recognize,” he says. “They were doing stupid stuff, and it’s something we don’t tolerate.”

Pelosi condemns ‘violent actions’ of antifa protesters

“Our democracy has no room for inciting violence or endangering the public, no matter the ideology of those who commit such acts,” Pelosi said in a statement released late Tuesday. “The violent actions of people calling themselves antifa in Berkeley this weekend deserve unequivocal condemnation, and the perpetrators should be arrested and prosecuted.”

Bernie Sanders Condemns Threats Against Ann Coulter Speech At Berkeley

“To me, it’s a sign of intellectual weakness,” he said. “If you can’t ask Ann Coulter in a polite way questions which expose the weakness of her arguments, if all you can do is boo, or shut her down, or prevent her from coming, what does that tell the world?”

“What are you afraid of ― her ideas? Ask her the hard questions,” he concluded. “Confront her intellectually. Booing people down, or intimidating people, or shutting down events, I don’t think that that works in any way.”

Clinton condemns attacks on Trump supporters

“I condemn all violence in our political arena,” Clinton told CNN’s Jake Tapper in an interview broadcast Friday. “I condemned it when Donald Trump was inciting it and congratulating people who were engaging in it. I condemn it by those who are taking violent protests to physical assault against Donald Trump.”

Clinton said the violence has to end but accused the real estate mogul of setting “a very bad example.” Trump has called his rallies “lovefests,” though he has also encouraged his supporters to “knock the crap out of” anyone they see carrying tomatoes and offered to pay the legal fees of supporters who are charged with violence at his rallies.

• Plus1 7

1 hour ago, HuskerNation1 said:

Umm it called out improvements in several polls including Reuters Ipsos and other polls did you miss that or choose to not acknowledge it.  

And a direct quote from the CNN article:

It just seems that for whatever reason the President has picked up a small, but statistically significant, amount of support among African-Americans. The fact that he has done so while losing support among all other racial groups makes it that much more impressive.

or an anomaly....

• Plus1 1
34 minutes ago, Landlord said:

I am talking about the protest videos I posted which were BEFORE the officers were ambushed.  There was a time his voice was needed to deescalate the growing anti-cop rhetoric coming out of BLM protesters before someone got killed.  I do commend him for speaking about it strongly in the aftermath of the Dallas ambush.  

• Fire 1
5 minutes ago, HuskerNation1 said:

I am talking about the protest videos I posted which were BEFORE the officers were ambushed.  There was a time his voice was needed to deescalate the growing anti-cop rhetoric coming out of BLM protesters before someone got killed.  I do commend him for speaking about it strongly in the aftermath of the Dallas ambush.  

Which videos of which protestors in which city are you talking about?

11 minutes ago, HuskerNation1 said:

Hey I like your avatar...as a looks like my NFL team's emblem in Husker Red!

Regarding this being an anomaly, I do think Trump is losing some white support and gaining some black support. We'll see how this appears in 2020 I guess.  

You're an unlucky Cowboys fan too, huh? :cheers

Trump's support among whites is waning, and his support from blacks apparently isn't growing like you think.  This can be backed up by other polls.  But like we learned, polls are far from the end all be all.  My question to you would be:  If Trump were to win the Electoral College but lose the popular vote by almost 15 million (very unlikely but possible...) in 2020, would you and other supporters feel confident that your agenda is the will of "America"?  If so, why?

I'm genuinely curious.  You have a thread about the direction of America.  I'm trying to find some common ground where we could agree that a Trump "re-election" would be good versus another Republican that would sign bills from a Republican Legislative Branch without the constant headaches, defending, and eye-rolls...

29 minutes ago, funhusker said:

You're an unlucky Cowboys fan too, huh? :cheers

Trump's support among whites is waning, and his support from blacks apparently isn't growing like you think.  This can be backed up by other polls.  But like we learned, polls are far from the end all be all.  My question to you would be:  If Trump were to win the Electoral College but lose the popular vote by almost 15 million (very unlikely but possible...) in 2020, would you and other supporters feel confident that your agenda is the will of "America"?  If so, why?

I'm genuinely curious.  You have a thread about the direction of America.  I'm trying to find some common ground where we could agree that a Trump "re-election" would be good versus another Republican that would sign bills from a Republican Legislative Branch without the constant headaches, defending, and eye-rolls...

I do not agree with some who argue about the popular vote vs electoral college.  It would be like the Huskers losing a game by 15 points but saying they outgained the opponent in yardage and therefore performed better and are the better team.  If we moved to a popular vote for the Presidency, that would have changed the approach from both campaigns, and Democrats would want to improve their votes in red states and Republicans would want to improve their margin in blue states.  Given many of the larger states tend to be deep blue, Republican voters in those states may feel their vote does not matter and therefore will stay home, costing a Republican President significant votes.  You can argue Hillary could have gotten more in states like Utah or elsewhere that are deep red, but the volume of votes in those states is not as large as say California or New York.

Why would Trump's re-election be good?  Its pretty simple...the country is showing signs of improvement everywhere.  This included GDP, unemployment, consumer and business optimism, the stock market, terrorism and relations with North Korea. I get that there is a large portion of the country that can't stand Trump, but this existed with Obama too...I just don't think the right is as loud and in your face as the Left tends to be.  I frankly love that Trump fights for America everywhere he goes and is not scared to put our interests first.  He has done this in multiple venues where he spoke in front of groups of other world leaders.  

• Plus1 1
  • Fire 1

Clinton and the liberals were aghast when Trump suggested that he might not accept an unfavorable election result. They were horrified that he could be opposed to everythung America stands for. They lost their damn minds.

But then as soon as Trump won, they did (snd continue to) deny that the results were legitimate. They blame the Russians. They blame white people. They blame women. They blame everyone else. And they’re so filled with impotent rage, they want to abolosh the Electoral College. 

Politics with the Dems is a little like playing Monopoly with a 6 year old. If they don’t like the result, they will just flip over the board.

• Plus1 1
6 hours ago, HuskerNation1 said:

Okay, so this first video we don't know who it is, where it is, or when it is. Do we? From Hannity's video it supposedly is in NYC following the Eric Garner case, but is this or isn't it BLM? Who decides? How do we know? 

The second video....I mean. It seems pretty glaringly obvious that it's a non-literal vent session. There is no 'threat' to kill white people here. Sounds like someone expressing frustration. Also seems no more harmful than plenty of comments made in these P&R threads which are very clearly not to be taken literally.

Third video, again, who are these people? Are they officially associated with BLM in any capacity, or is it because there are people in BLM shirts there (not speaking) that the group is now representative of the movement? Once again, I don't see or hear anyone advocating for murder (maybe the guy at the beginning was saying something about a 'pistol' but I couldn't actually make it out). I've got issue with this approach, as it seems to encourage non-peaceful conflict/protest (weirdly enough, something Obama and many others also always encourage?), but so far I'm not exactly sure what actionable/demonstrable thing you're upset at Obama for not criticizing specifically.

The first part of the Hannity video is the most egregious of all these examples of anything directly related to BLM, and I'm not a fan of it.

I guess I'm still missing what you are expecting out of Obama? Something along the lines of, "Not only do I condemn violence and hate and support peace and justice, but also you 100 marchers in St. Paul on August 29, you shouldn't chant things like that"? 

At any rate, since the one video of marchers chanting that they wanted dead cops was specifically during the Eric Garner grand jury events, here's some remarks from Obama specifically related to that/at the time:

"And there’s going to be, I’m sure, additional statements by law enforcement. My tradition is not to remark on cases where there may still be an investigation. But I want everybody to understand that this week, in the wake of Ferguson, we initiated a task force whose job it is to come back to me with specific recommendations about how we strengthen the relationship between law enforcement and communities of color and minority communities that feel that bias is taking place; that we are going to take specific steps to improve the training and the work with state and local governments when it comes to policing in communities of color; that we are going to be scrupulous in investigating cases where we are concerned about the impartiality and accountability that’s taking place.

"And as I said when I met with folks both from Ferguson and law enforcement and clergy and civil rights activists, I said this is an issue that we’ve been dealing with for too long and it’s time for us to make more progress than we’ve made. And I’m not interested in talk; I’m interested in action. And I am absolutely committed as President of the United States to making sure that we have a country in which everybody believes in the core principle that we are equal under the law.

"So I just got off the phone with my Attorney General, Eric Holder. He will have more specific comments about the case in New York. But I want everybody to know here, as well as everybody who may be viewing my remarks here today, we are not going to let up until we see a strengthening of the trust and a strengthening of the accountability that exists between our communities and our law enforcement.

"And I say that as somebody who believes that law enforcement has an incredibly difficult job; that every man or woman in uniform are putting their lives at risk to protect us; that they have the right to come home, just like we do from our jobs; that there’s real crime out there that they’ve got to tackle day in and day out -- but that they’re only going to be able to do their job effectively if everybody has confidence in the system.

"And right now, unfortunately, we are seeing too many instances where people just do not have confidence that folks are being treated fairly. And in some cases, those may be misperceptions; but in some cases, that’s a reality. And it is incumbent upon all of us, as Americans, regardless of race, region, faith, that we recognize this is an American problem, and not just a black problem or a brown problem or a Native American problem.

"This is an American problem. When anybody in this country is not being treated equally under the law, that’s a problem. And it’s my job as President to help solve it."

Seems quite in line with the idea of, '...his voice was needed to deescalate the growing anti-cop rhetoric...'

Then, right after him, from his attorney general:

"I know that substantial numbers of people in New York and across the country will be disappointed and frustrated by the outcome of the state grand jury proceeding today. I know many will plan to voice their disappointment publicly through protests. This is the right of all Americans. But as I have said before, throughout our history, the most successful movements have been those that adhered to the principles of nonviolence. I urge all those inclined to demonstrate tonight and in the days ahead to remain peaceful in their demonstrations, and not to engage in activities that deflect our attention from the very serious matters our nation must confront."

And if you don't think that is enough, here is a quote from Obama three days before that clip of protestors calling for dead cops:

“As long as they’re peaceful, I think they’re necessary,” Obama said during an interview that aired on BET Monday. “When they turn violent then they turn counterproductive.”

“Power concedes nothing without a fight, that’s true , but it’s also true that a country’s conscious has to be triggered by some inconvenience,” Obama said. “The value of peaceful protests, activism … is it reminds the society this is not yet done.”

If that's not enough, the other video from Hannity's clip is from a protest march in St. Paul. Per news reports I found, that march started and ended completely peacefully, with no injuries or arrests. Additionally, Rashad Turner, organizer of Black Lives St. Paul, reminded protesters to remain peaceful. "Our opponents will claim victory if they push someone over the line. I don't know about you, but let's not give them the satisfaction."

• Plus1 3

Speaking of petulant children why does every far right winger like you  post in the same attack /blitz format on every post . 

Instead of posting things in a sane , civil , well thought out manner yiu chose to go wild saying things like “there’s absolutely positively NO way anyone is right but me whatsoever AT all !!!!  “ All of my views are 100% marvelous , supported by everyone on the planet without exception “ blah blah blah  

Then go on to on to use cute words like triggered , whiners , crybabies , libs , crazy losing their minds etc in an attempt to run any opposition down and make your points seem more valid . 

Lasty you blast away with the same buzzwords and post the same “points” 1000 times, at warp speed, hoping to wear your opponent out and get the “win” 

Seems like a childish pointless way to “debate” to me . 

52 minutes ago, Ric Flair said:

Clinton and the liberals were aghast when Trump suggested that he might not accept an unfavorable election result. They were horrified that he could be opposed to everythung America stands for. They lost their damn minds.

But then as soon as Trump won, they did (snd continue to) deny that the results were legitimate. They blame the Russians. They blame white people. They blame women. They blame everyone else. And they’re so filled with impotent rage, they want to abolosh the Electoral College. 

Politics with the Dems is a little like playing Monopoly with a 6 year old. If they don’t like the result, they will just flip over the board.

• Plus1 3
1 hour ago, Big Red 40 said:

Speaking of petulant children why does every far right winger like you  post in the same attack /blitz format on every post . 

Instead of posting things in a sane , civil , well thought out manner yiu chose to go wild saying things like “there’s absolutely positively NO way anyone is right but me whatsoever AT all !!!!  “ All of my views are 100% marvelous , supported by everyone on the planet without exception “ blah blah blah  

Then go on to on to use cute words like triggered , whiners , crybabies , libs , crazy losing their minds etc in an attempt to run any opposition down and make your points seem more valid . 

Lasty you blast away with the same buzzwords and post the same “points” 1000 times, at warp speed, hoping to wear your opponent out and get the “win” 

Seems like a childish pointless way to “debate” to me . 

How many liberals want the electoral college abolished? How many want to abolish the system of two Senators per state and redistribute them based on population? How many want to pack the Supreme Court woth more justices as soon as they recapture the White House and the Senate?

I’m reading column after column with liberals advocating changing the rules because they’re tired of losing. They’re freaking out left and right. If you haven’t seen that, then I suggest you become better informed.

A lot of liberals are acting like triggered whiny crybaby idiots who have completely lost their minds. Blaming me for simply pointing that out is the type of nonsense that make liberals liberals.

• Plus1 1
19 minutes ago, Ric Flair said:

How many liberals want the electoral college abolished? How many want to abolish the system of two Senators per state and redistribute them based on population? How many want to pack the Supreme Court woth more justices as soon as they recapture the White House and the Senate?

I’m reading column after column with liberals advocating changing the rules because they’re tired of losing. They’re freaking out left and right. If you haven’t seen that, then I suggest you become better informed.

A lot of liberals are acting like triggered whiny crybaby idiots who have completely lost their minds. Blaming me for simply pointing that out is the type of nonsense that make liberals liberals.

Ha ha aaaaaaannd you just did it again .  :ahhhhhhhh:blink:  I would love to see the EC gone so my vote would actually count instead of being overruled by other people who happen to live the same state as me  . That’s it . Like most of my views it’s a sane , dry eyed , sound minded conclusion I’ve come to ,  that isn’t going to change, no matter what  you point out . 

Lots and lots of people want to see the electoral college gone. Including President Trump. I think most of them wanted it gone before Trump won, as well.

In looking into some info regarding that though I found some interesting poll data. Just for amusement, mostly. I mean, how obvious does it have to be that one of the two controlling political parties DOESN'T want the republic to be educated and to be voting and to have people's votes mean the most they can? Smells like freedom.

2-Peceptions_of_Problems_US_Election_Sys

3-Black_and_Hispanic_Americans_Experienc

5-Partisan_Divides_Over_Election_Reforms

This same group polled 65% of Americans would prefer elections be decided by popular vote. 

• Plus1 1
  • Thanks 3