The Republican Utopia

3 minutes ago, Big Red 40 said:

If anything I see more Republicans losing their minds and freaking out over the EC than anyone . Without that they would have lost 2 more elections , and under a popular vote system they may never win another . They know that and they’re scared . 

It's honestly hard to imagine that the Republican party as it's existed the last 15-20 or so years would ever win a Presidency under a popular vote.

Like it or leave it, they're the party of older, less educated, richer, white rural America. Democrats are the party of anyone who is a part of or a champion of lower income inequality, higher multiculturalism, more tolerance and more diversity. That's why Republicans are more prone to fear mongering - they're a more homogenous "we" who can more easily be convinced that "we" as a group are being threatened by "them", and that's also why they want higher barriers of entry to voting and think that voter fraud is a much more serious and frightening issue than it is.

• Plus1 2
20 minutes ago, Big Red 40 said:

If anything I see more Republicans losing their minds and freaking out over the EC than anyone . Without that they would have lost 2 more elections , and under a popular vote system they may never win another . They know that and they’re scared . 

Yep. The Republicans have never won the popular vote while losing the electoral college. Along with the electoral vote allocations, they also have the advantage when it comes to the House (thanks to gerrymandering and the 1929 law capping its size and giving smaller states over-representation) and Senate.

Here's an interesting graph. Lucky Nebraska gets 1 rep per 640,000 people, thus making us over-represented in Congress.

FT_18.05.18_RepresentationRatios_OECD.pn

• Plus1 1
10 minutes ago, Landlord said:

It's honestly hard to imagine that the Republican party as it's existed the last 15-20 or so years would ever win a Presidency under a popular vote.

Like it or leave it, they're the party of older, less educated, richer, white rural America. Democrats are the party of anyone who is a part of or a champion of lower income inequality, higher multiculturalism, more tolerance and more diversity. That's why Republicans are more prone to fear mongering - they're a more homogenous "we" who can more easily be convinced that "we" as a group are being threatened by "them", and that's also why they want higher barriers of entry to voting and think that voter fraud is a much more serious and frightening issue than it is.

After this whole Kavanaugh hearing you really think the left is more tolerant and does not fear monger. They completely smeared Kavanaugh and portrayed him as a sexual predator while instilling fear in liberals that he alone will take away womens rights.  In reality both parties fear monger. Lets not forget the Democrat ad in 2012 suggesting Paul Ryan was going to throw grandma over the cliff and take away social security. Fear drives turnout. 

As for other aspects, the left perceives itself tk be more toleant but in reality is completely close minded in considering the Conservative point of view. Some examples I have heard over and over....if you believe in tax cuts you favor the rich and dont care about the poor. If your faith does not support gay marriage you are a homophobe. If you support Trump you are racist or sexist. If you do not support open borders you are a racist. If you favor holding to the rule of law and not allowing illegal immigration you lack compassion.  I could go on and on...and this does not come close to the nasty comments I have seen and read on Twitter toward Conservatives by self identified progressives. 

You are correct that more blacks and Hispanics align with Dems and more whites with GOP, but suggesting only one side fear mongers and is intolerant is just plain wrong. 

• Plus1 1

3 minutes ago, HuskerNation1 said:

Some examples I have heard over and over....if you believe in tax cuts you favor the rich and dont care about the poor. If your faith does not support gay marriage you are a homophobe. If you support Trump you are racist or sexist. If you do not support open borders you are a racist. If you favor holding to the rule of law and not allowing illegal immigration you lack compassion.  I could go on and on...and this does not come close to the nasty comments I have seen and read on Twitter toward Conservatives by self identified progressives. 

You are correct that more blacks and Hispanics align with Dems and more whites with GOP, but suggesting only one side fear mongers and is intolerant is just plain wrong. 

Those sound like caricatures or immature social media nonsense to me. How many people do you actually know that actually believe any of those things? I know very, very few, and I probably know way more progressives and liberals than you! But, let's see - anyone else in this thread care to admit that they believe any of the following?

• If someone believes in tax cuts they don't care about the poor

• If someone's faith doesn't support gay marriage they are a homophobe

• If someone supports Trump or believes in securing our border they are inherently racist or sexist?

• If someone supports our laws and doesn't want illegal immigration they are lacking in compassion?

Let's see how many of the 'liberals' that dominate P&R actually believe any of these. 

Oh and re: the bold, I never said or claimed that. So, not sure why you're referencing a non-existent statement.

• Plus1 3
7 minutes ago, Landlord said:

Those sound like caricatures or immature social media nonsense to me. How many people do you actually know that actually believe any of those things? I know very, very few, and I probably know way more progressives and liberals than you! But, let's see - anyone else in this thread care to admit that they believe any of the following?

• If someone supports Trump or believes in securing our border they are inherently racist or sexist?

• If someone supports our laws and doesn't want illegal immigration they are lacking in compassion?

Let's see how many of the 'liberals' that dominate P&R actually believe any of these. 

Oh and re: the bold, I never said or claimed that. So, not sure why you're referencing a non-existent statement.

1. I don’t believe tax cuts for the rich,  and trickle down economics ,  do the majority of this country any good, including the poor . I’m also not in favor of calling the poor free loaders, lazy , losers etc and I’m not in favor of slashing programs those people need to survive . 

2. Whatever your faith is should not determine who another person loves , and should not be used to deny them any human rights or the pursuit of happiness . 

3. I don’t support illegal immigration but I also don’t support locking little kids up or separating them from their parents . There are better far less brutal ways to solve that problem . 

29 minutes ago, Landlord said:

I rearranged them. The first 2 make me roll my eyes.

For the 3rd one, the word "support" is important. I think fighting against the right of gays to get married makes one homophobic. Not being actively supportive of gay marriage does not make one homophobic.

4th one, the "securing our border" part makes me roll my eyes.

As for the Trump part, I don't think people who voted for Trump are necessarily racist or sexist. I think many put abortion at the top of their list, and understand why they voted for him over Clinton. I also know that LOTS of people including myself thought his antics during the election would cease once he became president. That said, people who actively support Trump to this day, at the very least, don't care nearly as much about racism and sexism as they should. Sometimes I look at it more harshly than that. There are a lot of terrible things that could come from looking the other way on those 2 and I have trouble relating to people who have convinced themselves Trump is neither, or they are just okay with it. It's hard for me to understand how people who aren't racist or sexist could still support him.

8 minutes ago, Big Red 40 said:

1. I don’t believe tax cuts for the rich,  and trickle down economics ,  do the majority of this country any good, including the poor . I’m also not in favor of calling the poor free loaders, lazy , losers etc and I’m not in favor of slashing programs those people need to survive . 

2. Whatever your faith is should not determine who another person loves , and should not be used to deny them any human rights or the pursuit of happiness . 

3. I don’t support illegal immigration but I also don’t support locking little kids up or separating them from their parents . There are better far less brutal ways to solve that problem . 

None of that is the question.

10 minutes ago, Moiraine said:

The response makes sense if you think about it. He omitted the things that were in the claim because he doesn't believe in them and in that way answered the question.

I was trying to serve a point without derailing or completely shifting the topic of conversation. Any little thing will easily get picked up on and turned into THE hyper topic of the next several pages. 

I mean hell, I'm still waiting on him to acknowledge all the evidence of Obama/Democrats condemning violence and speaking against hateful anti cop rhetoric.

• Plus1 1
14 minutes ago, Landlord said:

I was trying to serve a point without derailing or completely shifting the topic of conversation. Any little thing will easily get picked up on and turned into THE hyper topic of the next several pages. 

I mean hell, I'm still waiting on him to acknowledge all the evidence of Obama/Democrats condemning violence and speaking against hateful anti cop rhetoric.

He said today that Clinton and Trump have so much in common because they both had record high stock markets and record low unemployment while bashing Obama. Even after the graphs of both of those things have been shown repeatedly. If he can't even see why the rate of increase/decrease is much more important and just chopping the end off a graph is obfuscation, there's not much point in trying. The stock market could crash today, be worth $5,000 which is about $1 per company, and Trump would still have the record high.

I'm guilty of trying too, though, so carry on.

• Plus1 1