The Republican Utopia

12 hours ago, BigRedBuster said:

Just to be clear, they knew it was wrong and still went along with it. And then spoke with anonymity.

Don't get me wrong, I appreciate them corroborating what we saw with our own eyes: this Administration violently bullied peaceful protesters for a photo op. But isn't this part of the exact problem people are protesting!?! 

• Plus1 1
19 minutes ago, QMany said:

Just to be clear, they knew it was wrong and still went along with it. And then spoke with anonymity.

Don't get me wrong, I appreciate them corroborating what we saw with our own eyes: this Administration violently bullied peaceful protesters for a photo op. But isn't this part of the exact problem people are protesting!?! 

They’re saying the clearing of protesters was wrong. It’s highly unlikely they knew going in that it was going to happen, and they weren’t the ones doing it. 

14 minutes ago, QMany said:

I don't disagree.

I think the military people are really struggling with something that has only happened in our country a few times.  They have received orders to take action against our country's own citizens.  These citizens were exercising their constitutional right.  The people around the commander and chief told them to do it.  I'm guessing that a lot of these people are realizing what they were asked to do and if they were put in the same position again, they would handle it differently.

The military brass are the ones that really need to push back and do the right thing....and I think we are starting to see that.  Expecting a rank and file soldier to defy orders that have come straight from the President down through the chain of command....is a difficult proposition.  

• Plus1 1

Good Vox video explaining how the GOP went from Lincoln to Trump.  Now more than ever, I am convinced that there was a big switch.

The racist Democrats of the 1860s became the champions of civil rights in the  1960s and the anti slavery GOP of the 1860s became

the party of racists over the past 50 years and culminating in Trump.   This video lays out that story. 

After trump, the GOP will have to decide what it wants to be.  It can disappear like the Whigs  did in the 1850 when it was unable to address the issues of the day adequately or it can reinvent itself based on new realities or do nothing and become more and more the alt right party which will drive moderates away from it over time.

• Plus1 1
  • Haha 2

On 6/10/2020 at 9:28 AM, QMany said:

The military also lives by a different code. If they disobey their orders then that's dereliction of duty. They could lose their pay, be dishonorably discharged, and possibly imprisoned. Military courts aren't going to go easy on a soldier abandoning his unit just because it isn't war time and he didn't agree with command. The National Guard units have a lot of reasons not to lay down and join the protests, and if they did they would have to pray to God that their superiors understand what's going on.

17 minutes ago, Moiraine said:

He has a pair. Nice to see someone does.

The military has to show Trump NOW they aren't going to stand for his bulls#!t.

I'm getting the feeling the military brass are realizing that and pushing back.  I feels to me like it's a slow leak right before the damn breaks  with this.