The Republican Utopia

1 hour ago, DevoHusker said:

Could be..?

I read it that he was poking at Noem by saying "she's solved it".... not the amount involved. He is still being disingenuous with his mention of how many miles each of the SD 50 would have to cover because there are at least 1050 that have been deployed...not just the SD 50.

He is poking fun at her for "solving it". He's not being disingenuous as he's pointing out how little 50 guards are for a really large border. You're missing the point, but I'll play along and do the math:

According to you the border is 1900 miles and there were 1000 guards already on the border, which is on average 1 guard for every 1.9 miles. Adding 50 guards reduces the average to 1.81 miles per guard, which is a reduction of just 0.09 miles per guard. Again, it's not about solving anything, just political theater.

2 hours ago, DevoHusker said:

Not Brian should actually do some homework...first and foremost the border with Mexico stretches 1900 miles, not 1200, so his math skills suck.

Additionally, he fails to mention that the 50 guardsmen from SD will be joining the 500 from TX, the 300 from SC, and the 250 from AZ that those Governors have deployed since April.

I really don't know that guardsmen at the border is the answer...but misinformed (on purpose) Tweets like this sure don't help matters. 

Ummm, check your math again.  The Texas border with Mexico is 1254 miles.  She's sending the National Guard troops to Texas. 

• Plus1 1
3 minutes ago, RedDenver said:

He is poking fun at her for "solving it". He's not being disingenuous as he's pointing out how little 50 guards are for a really large border. You're missing the point, but I'll play along and do the math:

According to you the border is 1900 miles and there were 1000 guards already on the border, which is on average 1 guard for every 1.9 miles. Adding 50 guards reduces the average to 1.81 miles per guard, which is a reduction of just 0.09 miles per guard. Again, it's not about solving anything, just political theater.

Nah, I am not missing the point. The overall point is, Not Brian is trying to score points by slamming an R Governor and trying to make her look dumb...the rest is just the set up.

• Plus1 1
Just now, DevoHusker said:

Nah, I am not missing the point. The overall point is, Not Brian is trying to score points by slamming an R Governor and trying to make her look dumb...the rest is just the set up.

He's pointing out how she IS being dumb. Key difference there. 

Her token gesture plays well to the racists in her state, but it doesn't do anything to solve any problem, nor does it help assimilate the refugees into the workforce her state needs. 

She would be better off sending social workers. But her point isn't to help, it's to score cheap political points. 

• Plus1 1

9 minutes ago, knapplc said:

We don't need to deter refugees. That's the failure of logic these show-and-pony Republican governors don't want to understand.

Meanwhile, their states are largely powered by these immigrants - legal and illegal - but that doesn't stop them from these showboat stunts.

And the base eats it up, and here we are. 

Deterrence would help prevent the tragedies of Central American refugees dying enroute...or being fleeced by coyotes or criminal elements of their own Countrymen. Additional efficiency of legal immigration (allowing more to come legally) would also accomplish it.

• Plus1 1
6 hours ago, BigRedBuster said:

Fuentes also compared the Holocaust to baking cookies, too.  MAGA man through and through.  I'd post the YouTube video but it's too sick.  Imagine if AOC was to have a cup of Jo with a supporter if Pol Pot.  Everyone, left, right would be pissed.  But Republicans don't bat an eye at this as witnessed by the crickets here.

• Plus1 2
4 minutes ago, DevoHusker said:

You are missing the point and trying to misdirect by claiming the math doesn't support his point - but it does. And the R Gov is plenty good at making herself look dumb in this case regardless of what you think of that tweet.

• Plus1 1
1 minute ago, DevoHusker said:

Deterrence would help prevent the tragedies of Central American refugees dying enroute...or being fleeced by coyotes or criminal elements of their own Countrymen. 

Sending armed men to the border exacerbates the Coyote problem. Armed border guards, rather than social workers, sends the intendded message to the asylum-seekers: don't come here from your s#!thole countries. As a loyal trumpet, Noem knows exactly what she's doing. She still needs these people as workers, and she knows they'll get here through illegal means if necessary.

2 minutes ago, knapplc said:

He's pointing out how she IS being dumb. Key difference there. 

Her token gesture plays well to the racists in her state, but it doesn't do anything to solve any problem, nor does it help assimilate the refugees into the workforce her state needs. 

She would be better off sending social workers. But her point isn't to help, it's to score cheap political points. 

A secure border is a keystone to increased legal immigration. A few things that (even non-racists) feel are important are improving border security, better enforcement of existing immigration laws for those that overstay visas, but also improve and enlarge the temporary worker program.

• Plus1 1

4 minutes ago, RedDenver said:

You are missing the point and trying to misdirect by claiming the math doesn't support his point - but it does. And the R Gov is plenty good at making herself look dumb in this case regardless of what you think of that tweet.

Scarlet pointed out my error regarding the math...which I acknowledged. Thanks. 

2 minutes ago, RedDenver said:

So you're still arguing against the tweet because... ?

Because it still is taking a shot at someone that the Tweeter disagrees with politically. Because Noem is trying to assist with border security. A majority of US citizens feel that border security is crucial, including roughly 50% of registered Ds. Is it theatrical, as @knapplcsays...? Sure. But most politicians are.

• Plus1 1
  • Haha 1