The Republican Utopia

3 minutes ago, Moiraine said:

The national guard is way over qualified to be providing the services mentioned.

From the descriptions online, it looks like they are imminently qualified.

The National Guard is a unique element of the U.S. military that serves both community and country. The Guard responds to domestic emergencies, overseas combat missions, counterdrug efforts, reconstruction missions and more. Any state governor or the President of the United States can call on the Guard in a moment’s notice. Guard Soldiers hold civilian jobs or attend college while maintaining their military training part time. Guard Soldiers’ primary area of operation is their home state. Counter-drug efforts.

• Domestic emergencies, which can range from armed insurrection to natural disasters.
  • Overseas combat missions.
  • To repel an invasion of the United States.
  • To enforce the laws.

52 minutes ago, ZRod said:

Also the majority of illegal crossings are asylum seekers,

Very much debatable.  Just cause a coyote who brings them over tells them to say they are asylum seekers doesn’t make it so.  As noted by the vast amount of denials to those claims.  

• Plus1 2
24 minutes ago, DevoHusker said:

From the descriptions online, it looks like they are imminently qualified.

The National Guard is a unique element of the U.S. military that serves both community and country. The Guard responds to domestic emergencies, overseas combat missions, counterdrug efforts, reconstruction missions and more. Any state governor or the President of the United States can call on the Guard in a moment’s notice. Guard Soldiers hold civilian jobs or attend college while maintaining their military training part time. Guard Soldiers’ primary area of operation is their home state. Counter-drug efforts.

• Domestic emergencies, which can range from armed insurrection to natural disasters.
  • Overseas combat missions.
  • To repel an invasion of the United States.
  • To enforce the laws.

No, they are overqualified. Being taxi drivers and doing construction of obsolete structures with no immediate danger nearby is beneath them. There is no reason to use the national guard on the border when we have a border patrol. It's overkill and it's stupid.

• Plus1 2
  • Haha 1
1 hour ago, Moiraine said:

No, they are overqualified. Being taxi drivers and doing construction of obsolete structures with no immediate danger nearby is beneath them. There is no reason to use the national guard on the border when we have a border patrol. It's overkill and it's stupid.

Well....where else is a billionaire supposed to find immediate labor to do his/her dirty work?  There sure as hell aren't available workers in the US general population.

• Plus1 2
2 hours ago, DevoHusker said:

There were 180,000 arrested for illegally crossing the border in April of this year. I am aware that overstays account for the largest percentage of illegal immigrants. So, in your mind, there should be no controls at all? 

Border arrests in April hit their highest level since at least the early 2000s, and they’re up 63% from April 2019 and more than tenfold from April 2020 (arrests plummeted after former President Donald Trump began rapidly expelling migrants last spring).

Over 60% of last month’s arrestees were single adults, mostly hailing from Mexico — the vast majority of single adults were expelled to the other side of the border within hours, because President Joe Biden has partly continued Trump’s controversial expulsion rule.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/joewalsh/2021/05/11/southern-border-crossings-hit-record-levels-last-month 

I'm in quality. I love controls! The more the better!!! Dummy proof everything!

But seriously... We have BP and ICE (though the later needs serious revamping). If more is needed on the boarder than increase their numbers. The Gaurd should stay focused on domestic issue within their states, emergency situation, and military related issue. I went to school with guys who got deployed to the boarder they said it was the most boring waste of time ever. They did next to nothing of value (anecdotal, I know...)

• Plus1 3

6 minutes ago, ZRod said:

I'm in quality. I love controls! The more the better!!! Dummy proof everything!

But seriously... We have BP and ICE (though the later needs serious revamping). If more is needed on the boarder than increase their numbers. The Gaurd should stay focused on domestic issue within their states, emergency situation, and military related issue. I went to school with guys who got deployed to the boarder they said it was the most boring waste of time ever. They did next to nothing of value (anecdotal, I know...)

Thanks for the info, anecdotal or not. I get what you are saying. A good friend of my son was in the Border Patrol, then OPD and now US Marshal Service. He said patrolling the southern border was the worst job he ever had. (Loves the Marshal gig in Colorado)

But, currently they are short staffed by 2,700 to 2,900 positions, and have not seen much success hiring anyone in the past 4-5 years. Political stunt or no, if they can use the help and it breaks no laws to have Nat'l Guard fill some of those spots, I am all for it.

• Plus1 2