The Republican Utopia

6 minutes ago, Guy Chamberlin said:

Would you rather be a white person or a black person in this country?

Depends.   I’d rather be a black pro athlete than than a white Wal Mart worker.  I’d probably rather be a white middle manager than a black inner city guy who dropped out of high school.  I’d rather be a black suburban dad working at Cerner than a white trashy dropout from Raymore who spends his final bucks on Busch Light. 

What matters the most to me is I’d rather come from a two parent household that emphasizes and takes interest in their kids development than a single parent household that doesn’t give a s#!t about their kids.  To me that’s much more important than race.  

• Plus1 1
  • Fire 1

14 minutes ago, Archy1221 said:

Depends.   I’d rather be a black pro athlete than than a white Wal Mart worker.  I’d probably rather be a white middle manager than a black inner city guy who dropped out of high school.  I’d rather be a black suburban dad working at Cerner than a white trashy dropout from Raymore who spends his final bucks on Busch Light. 

What matters the most to me is I’d rather come from a two parent household that emphasizes and takes interest in their kids development than a single parent household that doesn’t give a s#!t about their kids.  To me that’s much more important than race.  

No. I'm saying would YOU rather be black or white. Same Archy, same upbringing and profession, same vertical jump. But one day you wake up a Black man in Kansas. 

Think you'll notice anything different?

• Plus1 1

50 minutes ago, Guy Chamberlin said:

No. I'm saying would YOU rather be black or white. Same Archy, same upbringing and profession, same vertical jump. But one day you wake up a Black man in Kansas. 

The black man waking up in Kansas, surrounded by white people, is likely to fair a lot better than if he woke up in Harlem.

• Plus1 2
  • Thanks 1
17 minutes ago, B.B. Hemingway said:

The black man waking up in Kansas, surrounded by white people, is likely to fair a lot better than if he woke up in Harlem.

Explain what you mean by this BB - can't tell if there is sarcasm in it or not.  If there isn't, help me understand. 

• Thanks 1
1 minute ago, NM11046 said:

Explain what you mean by this BB - can't tell if there is sarcasm in it or not.  If there isn't, help me understand. 

It's definitely not sarcasm. I imagine that the chances are good that a black man would have a safer, steady, and consistent life in Kansas than he would in the inner cities.

• Plus1 2
  • Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, B.B. Hemingway said:

If he faces a miserable life in Harlem, and merely earns 20% less money than his white peers in Kansas, it hardly makes the case that racism isn't an issue. 

• Plus1 2
1 hour ago, Guy Chamberlin said:

Does racism explain Asians making $1.15 for every $1.00 white people earn?

Not trying to be a smart a$$ here, Guy, I enjoy having discussions with you. I just don't think it's entirely fair to assume pay gaps point to racism.

(Bah. I quoted the wrong post of yours, but you get it).

• Plus1 1
  • Thanks 1
2 minutes ago, B.B. Hemingway said:

Does racism explain Asians making $1.15 for every $1.00 white people earn?

Not trying to be a smart a$$ here, Guy, I enjoy having discussions with you. I just don't think it's entirely fair to assume pay gaps point to racism.

When they split so dramatically between racial groups what else would you call it?

(and I didn't know the Asian fact - thanks for that, quick google shows that is even more nuanced ... some Asian groups earn more than another, so initially racism vs. whites (yes) but then classism?

5 minutes ago, NM11046 said:

When they split so dramatically between racial groups what else would you call it?

(and I didn't know the Asian fact - thanks for that, quick google shows that is even more nuanced ... some Asian groups earn more than another, so initially racism vs. whites (yes) but then classism?

How would you explain the even larger gap between Whites and Asians?

• Plus1 1