The Republican Utopia

28 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

https://amp.tallahassee.com/amp/5919720001

75.2 billion dollars in economic impact fir central Florida. 

463,000 jobs. 

5.8 billion in additional state taxes. 

And poor little governor got his feelings hurt. 

So, to recap, these are all of the things DeSantis is jeopardizing and/or doing with his little pout pout fish attack on Disney:

• Jobs
  • Toursim revenue
  • Tax revenue
  • Alienated employees at one of the state's largest employers
  • A fundamental attack on free speech via retaliation
  • No threat of a nuclear plant being built on top of It's a Small World (this, I have to say, is the only missed opportunity)
  • Alleged 'many other things' that make the company's charter scary

No Republican that professes a desire to uphold the Constitution and stick to conservative values should be in support of this, ergo this is all a nonsensical publicity stunt that we don't need. It's bizarre that so many Republicans are silent about the free speech thing in particular. They dog on Facebook and Twitter all day long, but Disney says something critical of a conservative policy and all of a sudden it's OK to retaliate against them. Which, make no mistake, that's what this is about. We have a Republican representative literally confirming it.

• Plus1 3

2 hours ago, Enhance said:

I mean this tells us all we need to know.

This is classic smoke and mirrors partisanship. Some Republicans are trying to make it seem like this has something to do with corporate governance and oversight (which apparently didn't matter for the last 50 years until the last few months) while other Republicans are being refreshingly honest about the real problem here - they want to punish Disney for being allegedly "woke."

Ummm what does it tell you??   I’m a realist who does let stock my head in the same and pretend these types of things don’t go on all over the country.  Whether it’s sweetheart deals for some company that donates or giving a company a hard time because of whatever issue a politician doesn’t agree with.   Fir me it’s not a DeSantis thing, which you and the other guy won’t acknowledge.   I’ve ALREADY said it’s political.  

Disney knows the political game all too well and was fine playing that game for the benefits, now it seems they got over their political skies and may pay a political price.   

• Plus1 1
2 hours ago, Enhance said:

Yeah I mean there's very little sane or rational argument to be had here as to why it should go away because the negative impact on Disney would be... massive. There are a couple of nitpicky things that Republicans have pointed out as being a problem with the charter (like the apparent carte blanche authority for Disney to build a nuclear power plant if they wanted), but outside of that comically fringe scenario, removing the charter would be like cutting a leg off Disney which in turn is going to trickle down to the state. It's moronic.

Anyone know if Universal  has this charter too?

• Plus1 1

19 minutes ago, Archy1221 said:

Ummm what does it tell you??   I’m a realist who does let stock my head in the same and pretend these types of things don’t go on all over the country.  Whether it’s sweetheart deals for some company that donates or giving a company a hard time because of whatever issue a politician doesn’t agree with.   Fir me it’s not a DeSantis thing, which you and the other guy won’t acknowledge.   I’ve ALREADY said it’s political.  

Disney knows the political game all too well and was fine playing that game for the benefits, now it seems they got over their political skies and may pay a political price.   

Unless you can find me a time in the last 50 years (prior to the last few months) where Disney's charter was so vociferously under attack because of how 'scary' it is, then I don't think your opinion on the issue is grounded anywhere remotely near realism. This is obviously political. Nobody is questioning that.

Otherwise, if you read the entirety of my thoughts that I have posted in the last couple pages of this thread, then you will have responses to virtually this entire post of yours. It would be superfluous to retype them.

• Plus1 1
46 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

https://amp.tallahassee.com/amp/5919720001

75.2 billion dollars in economic impact fir central Florida. 

463,000 jobs. 

5.8 billion in additional state taxes. 

And poor little governor got his feelings hurt. 

Poor Disney wants to play politics when it suits them, but b!^@h and moan when it doesn’t.  Too bad they are getting hurt feelings. 

“Disney is not going to be front and center against bills to protect workers from wage theft, or in support of state plans to preempt local authorities on ordinances to benefit a community,” she said. “They play both sides, but their entire legislative agenda is very focused on their bottom line.” 

Disney World's political influence

Disney's popularity enables the company to distribute tens of millions of dollars in campaign contributions to local and state candidates each election cycle. An exact figure is hard to calculate given the number of corporate entities that are part of the Disney family, the plethora of political action committees and their reporting requirements, and the number of candidates. 

Such investments paid off handsomely at least twice during the 2021 legislative session. When the Legislature imposed a crackdown on censorship by social media companies, triggered by Twitter’s ban on former President Donald Trump, an amendment exempted services, such as Disney+, when it is provided by a company that owns a theme park.

Disney also benefited from lawmakers' decision on how to use the money raised from imposing the sales tax for online purchases. State economists estimate the measure (SB 50) will generate $1 billion each year. The money will be used to replenish the Unemployment Compensation Trust Fund depleted by layoffs due to the pandemic, sparing businesses an increase in their unemployment insurance. 

Employers with stable employment get a reduced rate. Disney laid off more than 32,000 workers during the crisis and was looking at a big insurance increase. 

“Instead of that money going towards social services or increasing unemployment compensation, it is used to cancel any increased tax rate for employers,” Eskamani said in a discussion of Disney’s influence in how Florida taxes and spends. 

• Plus1 2
17 minutes ago, Enhance said:

I was agreeing with how this has very little (if anything) to do with Florida's constituents.

Sorry I misread,  the post you replied to said Disney was being cancelled and your first words were oh absolutely.  Wasn’t sure how else to take it.  

• Plus1 1
  • Haha 1

21 minutes ago, Enhance said:

I don't think your opinion on the issue is grounded anywhere remotely near realism. This is obviously political. Nobody is questioning that.

My opinion is this stuff happens WAY MORE than anyone wants to acknowledge.  It’s not specific to Disney, the political pressure not the charter, so I disagree that I’m not being realistic.  On the contrary, those who think this is a one off/never happens situation are being blinded by a sense of hatred towards one politician.   Or they think big business and politics is some fantasyland 

Disney falsely spouted off on legislation and now they may pay a price.   Maybe they should know politics is a two way street.  

• Plus1 1
10 minutes ago, Archy1221 said:

My opinion is this stuff happens WAY MORE than anyone wants to acknowledge.  It’s not specific to Disney, the political pressure not the charter, so I disagree that I’m not being realistic.  On the contrary, those who think this is a one off/never happens situation are being blinded by a sense of hatred towards one politician.   Or they think big business and politics is some fantasyland 

Disney falsely spouted off on legislation and now they may pay a price.   Maybe they should know politics is a two way street.  

So then it’s ok.  Got it. 

• Plus1 1