The Republican Utopia

1 hour ago, Enhance said:

So, to recap, these are all of the things DeSantis is jeopardizing and/or doing with his little pout pout fish attack on Disney:

• Jobs
  • Toursim revenue
  • Tax revenue
  • Alienated employees at one of the state's largest employers
  • A fundamental attack on free speech via retaliation
  • No threat of a nuclear plant being built on top of It's a Small World (this, I have to say, is the only missed opportunity)
  • Alleged 'many other things' that make the company's charter scary

No Republican that professes a desire to uphold the Constitution and stick to conservative values should be in support of this, ergo this is all a nonsensical publicity stunt that we don't need. It's bizarre that so many Republicans are silent about the free speech thing in particular. They dog on Facebook and Twitter all day long, but Disney says something critical of a conservative policy and all of a sudden it's OK to retaliate against them. Which, make no mistake, that's what this is about. We have a Republican representative literally confirming it.

Forgive me for not doing complete research, but I have not found the non-Disney funded economic study that supports this destruction of Florida you speak of because a Disney charter goes away.  I definitely could have missed it, but I couldn’t find it.  

• Plus1 1
4 minutes ago, Archy1221 said:

Forgive me for not doing complete research, but I have not found the non-Disney funded economic study that supports this destruction of Florida you speak of because a Disney charter goes away.  I definitely could have missed it, but I couldn’t find it.  

Let me ask you this. How is the charter a negative for the region ?

3 minutes ago, Archy1221 said:

You voted for a guy who threatened companies and employees of companies with prosecution for opposing labor and unions:dunno   

selective outrage I guess

Explain???   If that’s true, it’s just as bad. 

I it still doesn’t give reason to defend what’s going on here. 

Which….you are. 

26 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

Yep. Government is free to do whatever they choose to do to businesses based on political opinions.  

Quite the overreaching statement.  You and Trump have the same hyperbole and rhetoric!  

And to the poster you replied to, Republicans voted in favor of the charter way back when, you know doing that meddling in business thingy.  So people here do actually claim what you said,    Each party meddles. 

• Plus1 2
4 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

Which….you are. 

You still don’t understand.  Man it ain’t hard.   I’m not defending it.  I’ve said it’s political and it sounds petty.  But it’s also on Disney for lying about legislation in the state that gives it sweetheart deals.   How stupid are they on this.  

I’m not outraged by it because of how many politicians do it INCLUDING THE PRESIDENT YOU VOTED FOR.   It’s been like this as long as I’ve been an adult.   To say otherwise is disingenuous at best.  

Doesn’t make it right but at least I’m the honest one who understands both sides play this game and both sides are in the habit of picking business winners and losers.  

Disney got a sweetheart deal before from what people on here have said.   The worst thing that will happen is they now have to play by the same rules as other large employers in the state.   It’s not like they are trying to cancel Disney 

• Plus1 2
8 minutes ago, Archy1221 said:

Quite the overreaching statement.  You and Trump have the same hyperbole and rhetoric!  

And to the poster you replied to, Republicans voted in favor of the charter way back when, you know doing that meddling in business thingy.  So people here do actually claim what you said,    Each party meddles. 

in this case...the meddling is based on revenge for speaking out instead of remaining quiet.    

12 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

Which….you are. 

I just told you.  Biden campaigned on the threat of legal action  and “ paying a personal price” for employees and executives for resisting unionization attempts.  

• Plus1 1
6 hours ago, BigRedBuster said:

Well….of course. 

Anything Democrats do is evil. 

Well, no. See the problem is how we use the government's power. It's OK to use to stop people and groups from doing things that are bad for the GOP but absolutely not things that are bad for Democrats. As a matter of fact, Democrats are welcome to wield the government's cudgel to prevent bad things for the GOP any time they want. They'd probably be applauded for it. 

Part of the problem is elected Republicans are very good at pretending to be reasonable moderates when they are anything but. They have absolutely no reservations about lying about their motivations if it makes them seem more reasonable.

For instance, DeSantis isn't threatening Disney because they said something he didn't like. He's doing so to make Florida's business environment more equitable, prevent wage theft from workers, improve business ethics, combat cronyism and prevent a nuclear Disney World.

Their Don't Say Gay bill isn't even really bigoted anyway, it's about parent's rights and protecting impressionable children.

See how this game works?

• Plus1 3

41 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

I'm shocked that there are people, especially Republicans, that are perfectly fine with this.

I'm shocked that you're surprised. You won't find many right spectrum Rs that disagree..and in Florida, probably not many center right Rs. 

California is not exactly a bastion of conservative values.

18 hours ago, Archy1221 said:

You still don’t understand.  Man it ain’t hard.   I’m not defending it.  I’ve said it’s political and it sounds petty.  But it’s also on Disney for lying about legislation in the state that gives it sweetheart deals.   How stupid are they on this.  

I’m not outraged by it because of how many politicians do it INCLUDING THE PRESIDENT YOU VOTED FOR.   It’s been like this as long as I’ve been an adult.   To say otherwise is disingenuous at best.  

Doesn’t make it right but at least I’m the honest one who understands both sides play this game and both sides are in the habit of picking business winners and losers.  

Disney got a sweetheart deal before from what people on here have said.   The worst thing that will happen is they now have to play by the same rules as other large employers in the state.   It’s not like they are trying to cancel Disney 

That's a pretty reasonable post. 

• Haha 1
18 hours ago, Archy1221 said:

Who said the destruction of Florida? It wasn't me. I never said the removal of the charter would result in the "destruction of Florida." In fact, in the post you quoted, I specifically said "jeopardizing," which yes - we can fairly speculate that removal of the charter could jeopardize a number of things related to Disney and Florida tourism.

There are several articles available online that outline how the charter impacts Disney as well as the impact Disney has on the Florida economy and state's tax revenue. It is logical to speculate how the removal of said charter could negatively impact both. We don't need a non-Disney funded economic study to have that conversation.

• Plus1 1

i wonder why disney isn't complaining about it?  might it be because they will save money by not having to maintain all the infrastucture and those costs will be passed to the local taxpayers?  to the tune of $2,000,000,000 a year.    

• Plus1 2