The Republican Utopia

1 minute ago, BigRedBuster said:

@Archy1221 is fine with the pettiness when it’s his dream presidential candidate doing it. 

I mean this tells us all we need to know.

In a tweet, state Rep. Spencer Roach, who represents the North Fort Myers area, wrote that lawmakers have already met twice to talk about repealing the Reedy Creek Improvement Act.

"If Disney wants to embrace 'woke' ideology, it seems fitting that they should be regulated by Orange County," Roach said.

This is classic smoke and mirrors partisanship. Some Republicans are trying to make it seem like this has something to do with corporate governance and oversight (which apparently didn't matter for the last 50 years until the last few months) while other Republicans are being refreshingly honest about the real problem here - they want to punish Disney for being allegedly "woke."

• Plus1 1

8 minutes ago, Archy1221 said:

You are the first to actually begin to answer a question I asked.  I don’t understand the charter and want to know what Disney gets?  What are those benefits and are they still necessary.  

And yes, it’s political.  

From what I know, the charter effectively gives them more centralized authority to manage a number of critical infrastructure elements like water, utilities management, fire department, emergency services and transportation. It also gives them priority in governance decision-making for their district and provides a number of tax and regulation benefits.

And it has been like this for 50 years, so naturally, there are a considerable number of potential economic, infrastructure, and cost implications by revoking it. I hesitate to say it would be 'financially devastating' because I think that would be hyperbole, but the impacts of it would be substantial including likely job loss, a massive infrastructure revamp, significant cost increases and then ultimately tourism/revenue impacts on Florida.

• Plus1 1
8 minutes ago, Enhance said:

From what I know, the charter effectively gives them more centralized authority to manage a number of critical infrastructure elements like water, utilities management, fire department, emergency services and transportation. It also gives them priority in governance decision-making for their district and provides a number of tax and regulation benefits.

And it has been like this for 50 years, so naturally, there are a considerable number of potential economic, infrastructure, and cost implications by revoking it. I hesitate to say it would be 'financially devastating' because I think that would be hyperbole, but the impacts of it would be substantial including likely job loss, significant cost increases and tourism impacts on Florida.

Yes….this is. Its not just a benefit to Disney.  With them taking care of these services themselves, the city of Orlando doesn’t have to.  

It’s a benefit to both till the governor got his feelings hurt. 

He is a pretty good copy of Trump in that aspect. Which should prove he shouldn’t be president. 

• Plus1 2

3 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

Yes….this is. It just a benefit to Disney.  With them taking care of these services themselves, the city of Orlando doesn’t have to.  

Yeah I mean there's very little sane or rational argument to be had here as to why it should go away because the negative impact on Disney would be... massive. There are a couple of nitpicky things that Republicans have pointed out as being a problem with the charter (like the apparent carte blanche authority for Disney to build a nuclear power plant if they wanted), but outside of that comically fringe scenario, removing the charter would be like cutting a leg off Disney which in turn is going to trickle down to the state. It's moronic.

• Plus1 2
3 minutes ago, Enhance said:

Yeah I mean there's very little sane or rational argument to be had here as to why it should go away because the negative impact on Disney would be... massive. There are a couple of nitpicky things that Republicans have pointed out as being a problem with the charter (like the apparent carte blanche authority for Disney to build a nuclear power plant if they wanted), but outside of that comically fringe scenario, removing the charter would be like cutting a leg off Disney which in turn is going to trickle down to the state. It's moronic.

Just to clarify….I left out the word “not” in the first sentence. I corrected. 

• Oh Yeah! 1
6 minutes ago, commando said:

the constituents of florida are not why desantis is doing this.  his feels got hurt when disney didn't agree with him so now he is going to cancel disney  

Oh absolutely. I mean we have a Republican representative literally tying together Disney's alleged wokeness for why they should be 'governed like everybody else.'

There are so many hypocritical elements to this that I don't even know where to begin, particularly the idea of unabashedly punishing a company for their use of free speech. And look! It's an actual, qualifiable use of free speech! Not somebody saying something dumb on Twitter and then getting banned for it. This is a tangible, potential government retaliation for a company exercising their right to free speech, which I'm fairly certainly goes against a big piece of what freedom of speech stands for.

• Plus1 5

You know…I just thought of something. This might work out well for me.  

If he succeeds in tearing down Disney, unemployment will go up and home prices in Florida will crash……just in time for me to retire in about 5 years. Then I can sweep in and get a great buy on a nice house in Florida. 

GO RONNIE!!!!!

• Oh Yeah! 2
3 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

You know…I just thought of something. This might work out well for me.  

If he succeeds in tearing down Disney, unemployment will go up and home prices in Florida will crash……just in time for me to retire in about 5 years. Then I can sweep in and get a great buy on a nice house in Florida. 

GO RONNIE!!!!!

Rigth!

So, long story short here.  I have a teaching buddy and his older brother is a retired lawyer.  He bought a home in Florida during the last housing crisis.

He nabbed this sweet 3 bedroom 3 bath, pool with enclosed area to keep th gross bugs out, for almost nothing.  I forget the amount but like 125K or something like that.