The Environment

On 1/27/2024 at 12:03 PM, Archy1221 said:

Well yeah. Maybe. Kinda. Doomsday preppers have always made money selling fear and panic. And we are a very clever species. Life on Earth used to be much harder. 

But resources are indeed finite, and consumption has consequences that aren't evenly distributed. The reason why we've solved so many problem is because some people heeded the warnings of the doomsayers — the "everything is great" crowd argued against any threat at the time, too. The ozone healing is a great example. You can even trace some of the wonderful solutions our clever humans came up with to government regulations that forced the issue. Turns out regulatory demands for efficiency save businesses billions, though they often fought them as environmental meddling. 

Giving the "freedom" to live however they want, humans often selfishly f#&% things up, not solve them. In a weird way I'm sure Stoessel never intended, he makes the case for collective action, not individual freedom. 

Fwiw, one of the reasons certain populations are dropping is because women are given the freedom not to pop out kids every time dudes want to have sex. 

• Plus1 1
  • Haha 1

13 hours ago, DevoHusker said:

@TGHusker you good?

Yep but we felt it and the house shook a bit.  We live in Tulsa - so even that far away it was fairly strong.  Now the 5.7 quake in 2011 near the same place shook the house pretty hard and you could hear that one coming- sounded like a roar of an airplane- that was our first time experiencing a quake and it rattled us all.  I can not imagine a 6.5-7 quake.  

• Plus1 1
1 hour ago, TGHusker said:

Yep but we felt it and the house shook a bit.  We live in Tulsa - so even that far away it was fairly strong.  Now the 5.7 quake in 2011 near the same place shook the house pretty hard and you could hear that one coming- sounded like a roar of an airplane- that was our first time experiencing a quake and it rattled us all.  I can not imagine a 6.5-7 quake.  

Glad to hear

6 hours ago, TGHusker said:

Did you swear at the environment for doing this to you?

:)

22 hours ago, TGHusker said:

I've only felt one earthquake.  A number of years ago, one hit central Nebraska.  It sounded like a really big truck driving by but I looked and there wasn't a truck.  Very strange feeling.

6 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

I've only felt one earthquake.  A number of years ago, one hit central Nebraska.  It sounded like a really big truck driving by but I looked and there wasn't a truck.  Very strange feeling.

Yes, same here -the 2011 5.7 quake  - At first I thought it was a low flying passenger jet, then a very big truck and then the house shock for a minute - it lasted incredibly long -  I told my wife to sand below the door frames - I think I saw it on the news or a movie  - if the whole house came down, it would not have mattered if we were under a door frame - momentary insanity :ahhhhhhhh:madash (she is the yellow one, I'm the red one)

1 minute ago, TGHusker said:

Yes, same here -the 2011 5.7 quake  - At first I thought it was a low flying passenger jet, then a very big truck and then the house shock for a minute - it lasted incredibly long -  I told my wife to sand below the door frames - I think I saw it on the news or a movie  - if the whole house came down, it would not have mattered if we were under a door frame - momentary insanity :ahhhhhhhh:madash (she is the yellow one, I'm the red one)

Yes!  I remember that!  Get under a door frame!

• Plus1 1