DPE Working to Get Back to Old Form

Mavric

However, Pierson-El's explosiveness may be back this season, Williams said.

"I thought he progressed well last season," the coach said. "With DPE, it's all about movement. He was cleared to play, and him playing definitely wasn't a mistake. But he was never at full, full motion the whole season. He was still building up to where he was before the injuries. I think he's pretty much there now."

Ponder that statement for a moment. Think about Pierson-El, a 5-foot-9, 185-pound senior, returning to the form that in 2014 helped him lead the nation in punt return yardage (596 on 34 attempts) while ranking second nationally in average per return (17.5). What's more, he made 17 of his 23 receptions that season in the final four games.

Then came the setbacks. He injured his left foot in August 2015 — breaking the fifth metatarsal and having a screw implanted — before returning to action in the fifth game. He tore the ACL in his left knee in the ninth game of 2015, a crushing loss at Purdue.

Last season, Pierson-El ended up with 20 receptions for 254 yards and one touchdown while returning 23 punts for 168 yards (7.3), the longest covering 45 yards. He looked strong and quick in the bowl loss to Tennessee, making a season-best five catches for 49 yards.

LJS

Think about this: Tyjon Lindsay and Demornay Pierson-El both back fielding punts. Potential wowza!

I was just thinking the same thing when I read the original post. Also, getting Lindsay going deep and DPE moving through the middle from the slot or wide out position - who do you cover. If we indeed have a QB who can hit receivers in stride - this will be a game changer for us next year. It will open up the run game for Bryant - who I think will be the lead RB.

Offensively, there should be no excuses next year.

Think about this: Tyjon Lindsay and Demornay Pierson-El both back fielding punts. Potential wowza!

I was just thinking the same thing when I read the original post. Also, getting Lindsay going deep and DPE moving through the middle from the slot or wide out position - who do you cover. If we indeed have a QB who can hit receivers in stride - this will be a game changer for us next year. It will open up the run game for Bryant - who I think will be the lead RB.

Well.....this may be blasphemy on a Husker board...but, DPE is going to have to show a lot more at WR for me to consider him such a big threat that it questions my coverage scheme. He made his name not as a WR but as a return man. He was injured before he really could blossom as a WR.

Now, I really hope he can be back to full speed and develop into that WR. Otherwise, I see Morgan as way more of a WR threat you need to account for.

• Fire 1

DPE seemed to really be coming on as a WR towards the end of last season. Now that may have been bc of injuries presenting more opportunities for him but it was the most impressed I've been with him as a WR. As far as Punt returns go...well, I think we all know what the real issue was there and it had nothing to do with any of our returners.

Well.....this may be blasphemy on a Husker board...but, DPE is going to have to show a lot more at WR for me to consider him such a big threat that it questions my coverage scheme. He made his name not as a WR but as a return man. He was injured before he really could blossom as a WR.

Now, I really hope he can be back to full speed and develop into that WR. Otherwise, I see Morgan as way more of a WR threat you need to account for.

If our QB is hopefully able to blossom in HCMR's system then I can see Morgan being our #1 receiver.

• Fire 1

I haven't been impressed with DPE as a receiver. He doesn't run great routes, and sometimes doesn't come back/fight for the ball as he should.

Morgan is by far the better WR, and should be considered NU's #1 man.

• Fire 1

The scenario has played out with both Tanner Lee and Patrick O’Brien at quarterback. Pierson-El runs a deep post or out route, and the football sails well in front of him. On one occasion, so far in front that Lee later apologized to the wide receiver.

This is the moment of truth for the 5-foot-9, 185-pound Nebraska senior who suffered a foot fracture and later a torn ACL in 2015 and never fully recovered last season. Without his extra-gear speed — or confidence in his knee to run a crisp route — the pass will land beyond reach.

“I adjusted to it and took off,” Pierson-El said. “When I know I don’t have a problem looking at it, judging it and running faster to catch it, that’s how I know my speed is back.”

OWH