Pre-Spring Defensive Depth Chart

I wasn't impressed with Mick at all last year, hopefully he can eat a lot of blocks this season. Davis and Freedom will work great at DE's. Newby will benefit from blitzing, just like Young will benefit on being in the inside with his concrete feet. I can see a lot of young LB's making a push this season.

Kieron Williams not starting is odd. He is the leading returner in tackles and INT's (led the team last year).

Kieron Williams not starting is odd. He is the leading returner in tackles and INT's (led the team last year).

Just seems like there is something else going on with him. The tendency would be to say that the coaches "don't like him" which probably isn't fair.

But how he's been treated just doesn't seem to match his play on the field. He didn't get a Blackshirt at the beginning of last season despite starting the first game (albeit with Gerry suspended). Then he led the team in tackles and had an INT in the first game and STILL didn't get a Blackshirt. It wasn't until after the second game - after another INT and several tackles - that he finally got one. Then there were comments from the coaches towards the end of the season about how his play wasn't that impressive or something like that. Even though he had the most INTs and was one of the leading tacklers.

Just seems odd.

Just seems like there is something else going on with him. The tendency would be to say that the coaches "don't like him" which probably isn't fair.

But how he's been treated just doesn't seem to match his play on the field. He didn't get a Blackshirt at the beginning of last season despite starting the first game (albeit with Gerry suspended). Then he led the team in tackles and had an INT in the first game and STILL didn't get a Blackshirt. It wasn't until after the second game - after another INT and several tackles - that he finally got one. Then there were comments from the coaches towards the end of the season about how his play wasn't that impressive or something like that. Even though he had the most INTs and was one of the leading tacklers.

Just seems odd.

He seemed to have very hot and cold moments from what I saw. There were times where he looked great and was in the right place at the right time, but there were other times where it looked like he got exposed a little bit. Made some really nice plays and some pretty bad plays.

To be fair, there were times where just about everybody got exposed on defense.

I think it's pretty telling that they've got Reed and Jackson/Kalu starting. Gotta be one of the things MR wanted to change from last year in getting athletes on the field. Wonder if that bodes well for guys like Mo Barry.

Just seems odd.

It might be Banker and Stewart aren't here and there is a fresh set of eyes on the defense

• Fire 1

With a new DC and a completely different system, I don't really think that a pre-spring depth chart is really worth much.

That said, omissions of Lee and Anderson are interesting. Especially at S where we see Butler, Doman, and Dismuke but no Anderson.

Also seeing Kalu and Jackson listed together caught my eye.

• Fire 1

Just seems odd.

Whether it's true or not but I was told he kind of has a Terrell Farley mindset, plays outside the scheme but is still good enough to make plays.

• Fire 1

1st glance thoughts:

No Eric Lee or Avery Anderson. Both appear to be slipping down the depth chart. Wonder if nothing changes if they will stick around.

Dismuke has moved back to safety.

Collin Miller at ILB was a bit of a surprise.

They're still only Sophomores; they've got some time to make a contribution. It is surprising to see Bootle and Joseph over them, though.

I'm curious about that as well. Lee sounded like he was right in the mix last fall. Not sure what to think about that.

Yes, they're just sophomores. But there are Freshmen on there and they aren't. Pretty legitimate question as to why.

Gotta hope they're patient. It could get out of hand if we have to take 7 DBs in one year to have depth. Assuming the staff has a good enough year to stick around for awhile, roster management/balance is going to get very important very quick, especially at WR and DB.

I hope they are Huskers until they graduate, however DB is the least likely position on the team to get injured and if they are getting passed by FR then they will probably never be starters and possibly never be in the 2 deep. If they feel like they need to jump ship then that is best for all - chance to bring in 2 more guys that feel they can be the starter. Again I hope for the best for them and hope they get into the 2 deep - but they will evaluate the situation and do what is best!!