Spring Practice - Running Backs

Someone always has to be that douche and bring up irrelevant stats. I mean hell we have the stays after 1 game so I guess we just shouldn't play the rest. You can't even argue that if Wilbon isn't the best back we have as a runner. Sure he has stuff he can work on but he's definitely our best runner. And the only way he's going to be a complete back is reps.

Actually, you can pretty easily argue Wilbon isn't the best runner we have. He was fourth among our backs last year in overall attempts and (no surprises) had the fourth most yards at 89. The truth is we don't have a lot of data on him as fans.

If playing time was based off eye candy and magic then sure, Wilbon is unequivocally our best runner.

• Fire 2

I will say that a lot of people talk about how Wilbon is our smoothest or most natural runner. The refrain with him seems to be in pass pro, knowing the offense, ball security, mentality, etc. All of that could be true or maybe he's just been in the dog house for some outrageous reason.

Who knows, really. It sounds like his head is in the game now though, so given his reported skillset, look out.

Not condoning NU (or any other players at any other school) players failing academically, but we ask a lot out of these young men. A typical day:

Go to/attend classes, go to practice, lift weights, study film, and get all your school work done. That's a LOT to put on someone's plate. That requires time management skills that most adults don't have.

Ha. If you knew the academic support they are given/have available you wouldn't even have this thought. I had a close friend in the program recently (within 2 years), he's said there are zero excuses to have academic problems.

If I remember correctly, Wilbon ran all over the Blackshirts when he was on scout team running-back the week we played Wisconsin in 2014. That has to count for something right guys?

He has the talent to be a great running back and now he has to translate it to the game to take it to another level. We will see who wins this battle but a dose of Tre, Wilbon and Zig during a game would be fun to see. Wilbon/Tre tiring the defense and Zig pounding them while they are tired and thus getting us extra yards.

Who didn't run all over that defense during that week? I'm pretty sure we could've wheeled Michael Wilbon out there and he'd have gone for 2 bills.

Not condoning NU (or any other players at any other school) players failing academically, but we ask a lot out of these young men. A typical day:

Go to/attend classes, go to practice, lift weights, study film, and get all your school work done. That's a LOT to put on someone's plate. That requires time management skills that most adults don't have.

Ha. If you knew the academic support they are given/have available you wouldn't even have this thought. I had a close friend in the program recently (within 2 years), he's said there are zero excuses to have academic problems.

There are some shady practices that happen inside athletic departments in regards to education. No question. You have to try NOT to succeed in many instances, particularly if you're in one of the generic degrees a lot of football players work towards.

There are also added educational benefits simply based in popularity. A girl I dated in 2010 had Taylor Martinez in her Spanish class and she said he would routinely cheat on homework and exams, asking people to lean their papers over so he could copy, and they'd do it because they wanted to impress him and be his friend.

Davis telling me things I already knew. Wilbon should have already been receiving more carries.

I know. I remember during the BYU game that he was the best RB on the field that day and I wasn't the only one who felt that as so many others in my section thought so too.

Then after that game it's like Wilbon fell off the face of the earth

The myth of the Wilbon/BYU game continues to grow

6 carries for 14 yards (long of 7 yards)

2 receptions for 28 yards (long of 14 yards)

Wilbon - 2.3 ypc

Newby - 4.3 ypc

Cross 4.9 ypc

We'll, third best. But that's still pretty good!

Someone always has to be that douche and bring up irrelevant stats. I mean hell we have the stays after 1 game so I guess we just shouldn't play the rest. You can't even argue that if Wilbon isn't the best back we have as a runner. Sure he has stuff he can work on but he's definitely our best runner. And the only way he's going to be a complete back is reps.

I can't even argue that Wilbon is our best back? What?

Each of the last 2 years he has been passed by a true freshman on the depth chart. Both those guys that passed him are still on the team. So yes, it is arguable that he is the best back on the team.

I agree with Huskers44's opinion that Wilbon is the best back. He is more elusive, quicker, and our best playmaker as a ball carrier with it in his hands.

He can be passed on the depth by five or six backs, for one or two reasons that we are not entitled to know (past or present). But I don't think it has anything to do with running the ball. He's too natural and fluid to get bumped down for that. Just calling it as I see it.

So what you are saying is if we run 100% of the time out of a single back set - he is our guy?

Well we wouldn't run single set in short yardage plays and goal line. I like Ozigbo in those situations over the others. But what I am saying is that if Wilbon earns a spot to be the featured back, then good for him and for the team. I also think Bryant is fairly similar (talent & skillset wise) and could be the guy as well. But soon enough it will work itself out. I like these guys.

I am aware of the academic support.

I am speaking of athletes who do their own work and don't have the academic support staff...(trails off...best if I not make any claims that everyone highly suspects is true, but probably can't prove.)

:P

Actually, you can pretty easily argue Wilbon isn't the best runner we have. He was fourth among our backs last year in overall attempts and (no surprises) had the fourth most yards at 89. The truth is we don't have a lot of data on him as fans.

If playing time was based off eye candy and magic then sure, Wilbon is unequivocally our best runner.

Actually you could easily counter this argument as you're assuming these coaches know how to property handle and coordinate a good/solid running game. I don't think they do but everyone is entitled to their own opinions on that.

Actually you could easily counter this argument as you're assuming these coaches know how to property handle and coordinate a good/solid running game. I don't think they do but everyone is entitled to their own opinions on that.

So, one could easily argue Wilbon is the best back because the coaches don't know how to handle/coordinate a good solid running game? That's incredibly obtuse and unsubstantiated by physical evidence.

My argument is based on data supplemented by my opinion - that argument is based almost entirely on opinion.

So, one could easily argue Wilbon is the best back because the coaches don't know how to handle/coordinate a good solid running game? That's incredibly obtuse and unsubstantiated by physical evidence.

My argument is based on data supplemented by my opinion - that argument is based almost entirely on opinion.

Nebraska finished 9th in rushing in the B1G last year... Behind the likes of Maryland, Minnesota and Iowa just to name a few...

we are about to become a throw it on 2nd and 3rd down, i can't see us running more than 40% of the time.

I support Mike Riley, but listening to what he says, about "protecting" the OL in terms of scheme: running screens, draws, and "being smart" about how they go about things...

To me, and maybe I am over-reacting/thinking, but yo your point, I think Nebraska is going to be become a soft, finesse, pass team--like under Callahan.

Like, I understand there are a lot of ways to win games, but if Mike Riley has any designs on actually winning the Big 10 or more, we're going to have to be physical, especially along the OL. And that means running the ball.

we are about to become a throw it on 2nd and 3rd down, i can't see us running more than 40% of the time.

I support Mike Riley, but listening to what he says, about "protecting" the OL in terms of scheme: running screens, draws, and "being smart" about how they go about things...

To me, and maybe I am over-reacting/thinking, but yo your point, I think Nebraska is going to be become a soft, finesse, pass team--like under Callahan.

Like, I understand there are a lot of ways to win games, but if Mike Riley has any designs on actually winning the Big 10 or more, we're going to have to be physical, especially along the OL. And that means running the ball.

I guess "soft" is in the eye of the beholder. I think we'll tend to pass. But most of our running plays will be straight ahead which some will label as pounding it.

Of course, I'm far from convinced of the effectiveness of our running game. And I think we will throw a significant percentage of quick passes, which is probably what you're referring to.

I'm just waiting for "those passes are really part of the running game" to become an anthem.

I guess "soft" is in the eye of the beholder. I think we'll tend to pass. But most of our running plays will be straight ahead which some will label as pounding it.

Of course, I'm far from convinced of the effectiveness of our running game. And I think we will throw a significant percentage of quick passes, which is probably what you're referring to.

I'm just waiting for "those passes are really part of the running game" to become an anthem.

No, if the ball leaves the QBs hand, and travels through the air, it's a pass. (Or a fumble...lol)

Straight ahead runs are fine. Isos between the #1 and 2 holes, need to be a staple of our offense. But we also need to run through the 3-9 holes also. We need to be able to run counters, traps, counter traps, etc

That's why I never really liked the "pro" or "weak" formations with the off-set FB. It is an automatic clue as to what's coming.

I dunno, maybe I should just give up hope that Tom Osborne's running game will sneak its way back into Nebraska's playbook. Not saying we should run the option, but the variety of running plays, ways to block those plays, personnel groupings, it made defending that running game nigh impossible in one week of practice.

Anyway, I'm hoping Riley is sincere in wanting to have a running game in the top 3 of the conference because the last two years we've failed at that miserably.

I can see that too, but I hope and pray it doesn't. Does anyone in the media even ask OCDL about it (so much straight ahead run plays and not much variety)? And why won't we see more plays in space for the backs for the running game? Because that's how most big plays happen. And it's not like the defenders in the box are worried about play action. I mean, every opponent knows which direction we run. Right at them. And it's not pounding it or power football. It's just me shaking my head and doing this: :bang