Spring Practice - Running Backs

We appear to be building a team that will be in the 175 run and 275 yard pass ratio. This may not produce much better than a 65% win / loss percentage and that will be 'ify' in the years with tough schedules.

2016/17 National Champion Clemson Tigers - 169.7 rush yards per game and 333.9 pass yards per game.

• Fire 2

I'd argue the number of yards is meaningless if you outscore the opponent.

True. But there is consistent statistical correlation between higher yardage output and higher points scored.

Yeah you can win a knuckle-dragging brawl by playing defense, but long term, that's not a recipe for success

Playing defense isn't a recipe for success?

I mean going through a season where a team's offense is virtually non-existent.

Yeah the defense can keep you in the game, but if the offense can't move the ball or score points, eventually the defense is going to break.

2009 and/or 2010 Nebraska. If either of those teams would have had even a competent offense, with that Ndamukong Suh led defense, we'd a probably won a NC--instead of losing two Big 12 conference championships in a row.

I'd argue the number of yards is meaningless if you outscore the opponent.

True. But there is consistent statistical correlation between higher yardage output and higher points scored.

Yeah you can win a knuckle-dragging brawl by playing defense, but long term, that's not a recipe for success

Playing defense isn't a recipe for success?

I mean going through a season where a team's offense is virtually non-existent.

Yeah the defense can keep you in the game, but if the offense can't move the ball or score points, eventually the defense is going to break.

2009 and/or 2010 Nebraska. If either of those teams would have had even a competent offense, with that Ndamukong Suh led defense, we'd a probably won a NC--instead of losing two Big 12 conference championships in a row.

No doubt, 2009 with an offensive pulse, we win the MNC........and at least two conference titles...

Davis telling me things I already knew. Wilbon should have already been receiving more carries.

I know. I remember during the BYU game that he was the best RB on the field that day and I wasn't the only one who felt that as so many others in my section thought so too.

Then after that game it's like Wilbon fell off the face of the earth

The myth of the Wilbon/BYU game continues to grow

6 carries for 14 yards (long of 7 yards)

2 receptions for 28 yards (long of 14 yards)

Wilbon - 2.3 ypc

Newby - 4.3 ypc

Cross 4.9 ypc

We'll, third best. But that's still pretty good!

Someone always has to be that douche and bring up irrelevant stats. I mean hell we have the stays after 1 game so I guess we just shouldn't play the rest. You can't even argue that if Wilbon isn't the best back we have as a runner. Sure he has stuff he can work on but he's definitely our best runner. And the only way he's going to be a complete back is reps.
Yards per carry is irrelevant? Do you know what yards per carry means?

Wilbon may well be best back right now, it'll be up to him to prove it, but he absolutely was not the best back that day.

Sipple made an impossible-to-prove yet interesting comment yesterday that he believes the current pecking order is:

1. Bryant

2. Wilbon

3. Ozigbo

I would have assumed the order should be reversed. Guess we will find out soon enough.

I was thinking the same thing until Sip said he believes Zig's pass pro skills are his biggest weakness and he's not quite as agile in the passing game out of the backfield. I imagine the renewed focus (and presumably the improved success) of the passing game this season may not lend itself as well to a player with those weaknesses.

Me after the 2015 bowl game would've thought Zig will be the starter sooner than later, but if what Sip says is true (and stays true) then Zig very well could be third down the list.

Not condoning NU (or any other players at any other school) players failing academically, but we ask a lot out of these young men. A typical day:

Go to/attend classes, go to practice, lift weights, study film, and get all your school work done. That's a LOT to put on someone's plate. That requires time management skills that most adults don't have.

The academic support they get at UNL is 2nd to none. If they can't stay eligible, then that is on them for not trying hard enough.

And its not that much different than friends I had in college who worked 20-30 hours/week to pay for school/living expenses/beer money.

• Fire 1