Ed Morrow

The Huskers signed 15 recruits/transfers from 2013-2016.

At best, 7 of them will complete their eligibility here.

As I said in the Horne thread, guys transferring every year is now a "thing" in college basketball. I'm not going to crucify Miles for that. Its the winning games that I have a problem with.

This twit from 2 weeks ago shows each program should expect to lose 2-3 players/year.

https://twitter.com/huskerextracb/status/842090042512273412

Generally speaking, I agree with you. Transfers are pretty common. But it's usually the Fuller/Horne type guys who are barely playing. Not so much guys who are starters/major contributors.

Well, except for the very guy that transferred here, Copeland.

Copeland is going to be a great player for us - that isn't what this thread is about. Ed Morrow as a Sophomore averaged more rebounds than any one has at Nebraska over the past 9 seasons. To say that he would be an okay player off the bench is just ludicrous. We aren't Kentucky

So then what is everyone complaining about? We aren't Kentucky, not supposed to win Championships at little old Nebraska.

Your strawman game is strong lately.

• Fire 2

I believe Mavric posted in another thread that Ed was our most efficient player based off ESPN player efficiency ratings. Pretty tough to believe anyone can dismiss a guy who was averaging 10 and 8 in 23 mpg while being undersized and playing hurt. Jorday may end up being the better player, as he has a higher ceiling, but Ed is definitely the best 4/5 we have/had right now.

That's the thing that is the most frustrating. Ed shouldn't be playing the 5 position. He should be a 4, or maybe an energetic 3 who can thrive on offensive rebounds and playing hard.

• Fire 1

After reading an article with quotes from him and his father, this baffles me. He claims he still loves Nebraska, the program and there are no hard feelings. But, he feels he needs to go somewhere else that will use him as a wing so he can get ready for the NBA.

WTF???

The reason he was being used as a 5 was because we lacked kids in that position. Next year we will have two guys taller and bigger than him which should have allowed him to play the 4. The kid was put on the floor in major minutes and was allowed to contribute and be a major part of the team.

I just don't get it.

On the subject of Miles. When looking at coaches to see if they are still being effective, two things are important (among others). a) Is he still being able to recruit good athletes...and b) Are the players currently on the team still wanting to play hard for him. Miles is on shaky ground right now with this.

Just a point of reference....White averaged 18.5 points per game for Syracuse this season and was their leading scorer and won 19 games.

I believe Mavric posted in another thread that Ed was our most efficient player based off ESPN player efficiency ratings. Pretty tough to believe anyone can dismiss a guy who was averaging 10 and 8 in 23 mpg while being undersized and playing hurt. Jorday may end up being the better player, as he has a higher ceiling, but Ed is definitely the best 4/5 we have/had right now.

I'm not exactly dismissing him, I'm saying for us to compete at a high level, he would be a back-up post player. Not our best player. So, maybe that is why we went 12-18.

I went and looked at his game-logs, and he had some really nice games against high level competition (or teams that made the NCAA tournament), then he completely didn't show up in the stat sheet against some sub-par opponents that we ended up losing to.

Do I wish he was staying? Yes. Do I think we are lost without him? Absolutely not.

After reading an article with quotes from him and his father, this baffles me. He claims he still loves Nebraska, the program and there are no hard feelings. But, he feels he needs to go somewhere else that will use him as a wing so he can get ready for the NBA.

WTF???

The reason he was being used as a 5 was because we lacked kids in that position. Next year we will have two guys taller and bigger than him which should have allowed him to play the 4. The kid was put on the floor in major minutes and was allowed to contribute and be a major part of the team.

I just don't get it.

On the subject of Miles. When looking at coaches to see if they are still being effective, two things are important (among others). a) Is he still being able to recruit good athletes...and b) Are the players currently on the team still wanting to play hard for him. Miles is on shaky ground right now with this.

Just a point of reference....White averaged 18.5 points per game for Syracuse this season and was their leading scorer and won 19 games.

I think Morrow assumed that he play mostly at the 4 next season, with the possibility of getting some time at the 3. From the OWH article I read, it sounds like he would have split time at the 5 with Jordy, and that's not what Morrow wanted to do.

WTF???

I just don't get it.

Miles is the delusional one who won't use him as a wing? Has this guy ever made anything besides a lay-up? He's not a wing. He is an UNDERSIZED 4, that can't score from the outside or even 15 feet.

White was the leading scorer at Nebraska and also didn't make the tournament here. Zippity-doo-dah.

• Fire 2

That's the thing that is the most frustrating. Ed shouldn't be playing the 5 position. He should be a 4, or maybe an energetic 3 who can thrive on offensive rebounds and playing hard.

3's neeed to be able to hit 3's to stretch the defense. He will never make it as a "Wing" type player, which is apparently what he came out saying he wants.

3's neeed to be able to hit 3's to stretch the defense. He will never make it as a "Wing" type player, which is apparently what he came out saying he wants.
Morrow isn't an undersized 4 for the college game. There are plenty of 6'7" PF's in the college game. What sucked for him was that Miles insisted on playing against the biggest guy on the other team. I know Jordy would have played more next year, but he's still a bit of a project.

I'm sure Morrow asked Miles what he is projected to play more next year, so Morrow knew what he had to work on over the summer. When Miles told him that he's going to be splitting time at the 5 with Jordy, I'm sure there was a WTF moment for Morrow.

After college, Morrow's size would put him as a 3 or very undersized 4. I'm sure he's dreaming of the NBA, but guys can make good cash playing ball overseas. Either way, he needs to develop more outside skills, and is looking for a college program that will work with him to develop those skills. Miles didn't seem interested in working with Morrow to develop those skills.

• Fire 4

WTF???

I just don't get it.

Miles is the delusional one who won't use him as a wing? Has this guy ever made anything besides a lay-up? He's not a wing. He is an UNDERSIZED 4, that can't score from the outside or even 15 feet.

White was the leading scorer at Nebraska and also didn't make the tournament here. Zippity-doo-dah.

I'm not blaming Miles for Morrow's situation. My point is, we have bodies next year that can fill the 5 spot. If he wants to play the 4 or 3, he would have had his opportunity. If that's what he wants, then it's up to him to work on his shot to be able to score from the outside.

My point with White is the fact some here (including me) thought it was addition by subtraction when he left. He then went on to be the leading scorer on a team that had a better season than Nebraska did.

Wait...found it! From another board: This is really close to the old "Toxic" bit

IMO this isn't all Miles's fault(trust me I wanted Miles gone in January so I'm not sticking up for him), but from the article Morrow told those close to him & I state "He had hoped to play more at wing or forward in the future to develop his professional prospects instead of continuing to operate inside".

Kids are in this game for themselves now days. TEAM is mostly just a term without meaning for most of these guys.

• Fire 1

Surprised, but as I've said before, ideally he isn't a starter anyways. Undersized big man who can barely throw it down off two feet.

Wish him the best, hard worker, but always hurt...

You are an idiot. When he was healthy he was our best player.

SO.. Mods, we are allowing name calling?

And he wasn't our best player, he was our best POST player, which wasn't saying much at the time. Jordy actually supplanted him in that role late in the season.

Watson and Webster were our best players throughout the course of the season.

Remember that time against Wisconsin our BEST player missed two free throws and we lost the game shortly after? Some best player.

Not statistically. Now as others have said, Jordy certainly has a higher ceiling. He definitely didn't surpass him this past season though.

Miles probably makes a good sell in recruiting but I really think once recruits get here and start playing for him, they can see that Miles is an average coach, at best. Hard to make the NBA without being coached up in college or just having some insane talent. Has Miles ever had a player make it to the NBA?

• Fire 1

Miles probably makes a good sell in recruiting but I really think once recruits get here and start playing for him, they can see that Miles is an average coach, at best. Hard to make the NBA without being coached up in college or just having some insane talent. Has Miles ever had a player make it to the NBA?

Hard to disagree with much being said here. Other than Webster, I haven't seen a lot of players develop and improve during their time at NU.
  • Fire 1
  • Mavric changed the title to Ed Morrow