Ed Morrow

There are a quite a few players in college who are 6'6-6'7 PF and can get the job done, but for him to think that he can be a good SF is pretty silly IMO. He is a long ways away from the outside shooting, dribbling, and passing abilities needed. He is a good college rebounder and inside scorer, that's about it. I don't see anything wrong with having that skill set and what it brings to a team. Everyone seems to think they can play in the NBA

Morrow sacrificed quite a bit when he was willing to take on the biggest opponent every game and play out of position at the 5. I don't know how that doesn't make him a team player. I think he was asking Miles for a slight change in role, with the opportunity to play more wing, and Miles basically told him no. I realize that Morrow would have needed to develop his skills more, but it's a bit of a chicken/egg argument. What good would it do Morrow if he busted his ass all summer improving himself, if Miles wasn't going to use him in those situations.

I like Morrow and what he brought to the team, not saying he was selfish, but you have to be realistic about your own skill set. He would have posed no threat outside of 10 feet offensively

Ed is realistic. He understands that there is no shot at developing into a better player with Miles as coach.

Because his teammate Webster didn't at all...

Sure Webster did. The difficult part with him is how much of it was Miles and how much was playing on his country's national team.

But even if we give Miles full credit. That's what? One player in 6 seasons that vastly improved?

How many of Mile's players over the years have been 4 year guys?

Not many since they transfer out

OR have transferred in.

From BTN...I guess they don't know Morrow is bad at sports.

13. Nebraska. The Cornhuskers are looking to overcome a disappointing season in what shapes up as a big year for Tim Miles. Nebraska will have back key players in F Isaiah Roby, G Glynn Watson Jr., F Ed Morrow, C Jordy Tshimanga, F Jack McVeigh and F Michael Jacobson. But G Tai Webster is gone, leaving a void. - See more at: http://btn.com/2017/03/28/dienhart-early-early-look-at-2017-18-big-ten-power-rankings/#sthash.RXhuMIpp.dpuf

you sure quote a lot of words that are never used...

I believe Mavric posted in another thread that Ed was our most efficient player based off ESPN player efficiency ratings. Pretty tough to believe anyone can dismiss a guy who was averaging 10 and 8 in 23 mpg while being undersized and playing hurt. Jorday may end up being the better player, as he has a higher ceiling, but Ed is definitely the best 4/5 we have/had right now.

I will lose it if you mention this stat ever again.

God damn it Mav.

The player of the year and the scoring champion barely cracked the Top 100 players in the country on that list. It's a broken statistic and everyone knows that unless you're using it to twist your argument.

Mock Draft this year, with the player's efficiency rank behind their name -

1. Markelle Fultz - 21st

2. Lonzo Ball - 82nd

3. Josh Jackson - Not top 100

4. Jayson Tatum - Not top 100

5. De'Aaron Fox - Not top 100

3 of the upcoming top 5 NBA picks are not in the top 100 players in the COUNTRY based on that stat.

Do not use it again.

Josh Jackson SUCKS!

Surprised, but as I've said before, ideally he isn't a starter anyways. Undersized big man who can barely throw it down off two feet.

Wish him the best, hard worker, but always hurt...

You are an idiot. When he was healthy he was our best player.

SO.. Mods, we are allowing name calling?

And he wasn't our best player, he was our best POST player, which wasn't saying much at the time. Jordy actually supplanted him in that role late in the season.

Watson and Webster were our best players throughout the course of the season.

Remember that time against Wisconsin our BEST player missed two free throws and we lost the game shortly after? Some best player.

Not statistically. Now as others have said, Jordy certainly has a higher ceiling. He definitely didn't surpass him this past season though.

Also false, Jordy averaged more boards per minute than Ed did. So....

Over the last 5 games Jordy averaged 3.2 rebounds per game while Morrow averaged 3.25. Splitting hairs but Ed averaged more than Jordy did. So...

I said per minute, which goes back to the "efficiency" people like to hit on. Jordy averaged more per minute. You can argue it's a minutes issue, but you can't make a blanket statement that he was the best rebounder.

That is per minute. I averaged out both of theirs for the last 5 games. If you just look at the game averages alone Jordy is at 4.8 while Morrow is at 6.2. Either way you cut it per minute or per game, Morrow still out performs Jordy.

Brb, let me go pick out 5 games were Jordy out rebounded Ed and I'll make my argument around that!

/sarcasm

Almost like using as random of a statistic as "rebounds per minute".

Hey I'm going off of what Matty said which was the end of the season Jordy was the better post player than Morrow. Just looking at the arguments being made against Ed, nothing else. You and Matty go make up your minds on how you want to argue this and come back to us.

I didn't dice it as rebounding, scoring, post moves, tips, deflections, blocks, or any stat. I said Post Player.

From BTN...I guess they don't know Morrow is bad at sports.

13. Nebraska. The Cornhuskers are looking to overcome a disappointing season in what shapes up as a big year for Tim Miles. Nebraska will have back key players in F Isaiah Roby, G Glynn Watson Jr., F Ed Morrow, C Jordy Tshimanga, F Jack McVeigh and F Michael Jacobson. But G Tai Webster is gone, leaving a void. - See more at: http://btn.com/2017/03/28/dienhart-early-early-look-at-2017-18-big-ten-power-rankings/#sthash.RXhuMIpp.dpuf

you sure quote a lot of words that are never used...

I didn't quote anyone.

Surprised, but as I've said before, ideally he isn't a starter anyways. Undersized big man who can barely throw it down off two feet.

Wish him the best, hard worker, but always hurt...

You are an idiot. When he was healthy he was our best player.

SO.. Mods, we are allowing name calling?

And he wasn't our best player, he was our best POST player, which wasn't saying much at the time. Jordy actually supplanted him in that role late in the season.

Watson and Webster were our best players throughout the course of the season.

Remember that time against Wisconsin our BEST player missed two free throws and we lost the game shortly after? Some best player.

Not statistically. Now as others have said, Jordy certainly has a higher ceiling. He definitely didn't surpass him this past season though.

Also false, Jordy averaged more boards per minute than Ed did. So....

Over the last 5 games Jordy averaged 3.2 rebounds per game while Morrow averaged 3.25. Splitting hairs but Ed averaged more than Jordy did. So...

I said per minute, which goes back to the "efficiency" people like to hit on. Jordy averaged more per minute. You can argue it's a minutes issue, but you can't make a blanket statement that he was the best rebounder.

That is per minute. I averaged out both of theirs for the last 5 games. If you just look at the game averages alone Jordy is at 4.8 while Morrow is at 6.2. Either way you cut it per minute or per game, Morrow still out performs Jordy.

Brb, let me go pick out 5 games were Jordy out rebounded Ed and I'll make my argument around that!

/sarcasm

Almost like using as random of a statistic as "rebounds per minute".

Hey I'm going off of what Matty said which was the end of the season Jordy was the better post player than Morrow. Just looking at the arguments being made against Ed, nothing else. You and Matty go make up your minds on how you want to argue this and come back to us.

I didn't dice it as rebounding, scoring, post moves, tips, deflections, blocks, or any stat. I said Post Player.

Well if you're just going to abstractly go off of the eye test we will have to agree to disagree. That's fine too, just let it be known that you are basing it off of that.

I know it's a moot argument now, but why is there a Morrow vs. Jordy argument? Jordy is much bigger than Morrow, so technically, Jordy should be a better "post player". Morrow is playing way out of position if he's playing the same spot as Jordy. They aren't the same size.

Now, there are plenty of good college teams that utilize small lineups with great shooters and have guys the size of Morrow play inside. But, Miles either couldn't bring in good enough shooters or isn't able to coach offense well enough to run that type of system.

• Fire 1

I know it's a moot argument now, but why is there a Morrow vs. Jordy argument? Jordy is much bigger than Morrow, so technically, Jordy should be a better "post player". Morrow is playing way out of position if he's playing the same spot as Jordy. They aren't the same size.

Now, there are plenty of good college teams that utilize small lineups with great shooters and have guys the size of Morrow play inside. But, Miles either couldn't bring in good enough shooters or isn't able to coach offense well enough to run that type of system.

The problem is, with Morrow's size and skillset, there isn't necessarily a perfect position for him.

TE on the football team perhaps?

I believe Mavric posted in another thread that Ed was our most efficient player based off ESPN player efficiency ratings. Pretty tough to believe anyone can dismiss a guy who was averaging 10 and 8 in 23 mpg while being undersized and playing hurt. Jorday may end up being the better player, as he has a higher ceiling, but Ed is definitely the best 4/5 we have/had right now.

I will lose it if you mention this stat ever again.

God damn it Mav.

The player of the year and the scoring champion barely cracked the Top 100 players in the country on that list. It's a broken statistic and everyone knows that unless you're using it to twist your argument.

Mock Draft this year, with the player's efficiency rank behind their name -

1. Markelle Fultz - 21st

2. Lonzo Ball - 82nd

3. Josh Jackson - Not top 100

4. Jayson Tatum - Not top 100

5. De'Aaron Fox - Not top 100

3 of the upcoming top 5 NBA picks are not in the top 100 players in the COUNTRY based on that stat.

Do not use it again.

Josh Jackson SUCKS!

16.3-7.4-3.0 (PPG-RPG-APG) a game while shooting 51% from the floor (38% from 3PT). Yep he totally sucks. :facepalm:<_<:moreinteresting

The problem is, with Morrow's size and skillset, there isn't necessarily a perfect position for him.

He would have been fine at 4, and a good coach would have told him "if you improve at your other skills, we can try using you at wing at times". I haven't seen anything from Copeland, but IMO Morrow was the best overall player between him, Jordy, and Jacobson.

He would have been fine at 4, and a good coach would have told him "if you improve at your other skills, we can try using you at wing at times". I haven't seen anything from Copeland, but IMO Morrow was the best overall player between him, Jordy, and Jacobson.

For some reason, Miles has always liked Jacobson at the 4 and I thought Jordy & Ed would have been a great combination.

I enjoyed watching Ed play, he had some fire in him, he was fun to watch. He had some life in him. That's what I'll miss.

The thing that really bugs me is that Miles was able to turn every team he's been with at ever level until he got to us, with our state of the art facilities. Despite all that we're still the Cleveland Browns of power 5 college basketball. I'm not sure it can be done. Even Belichek couldn't turn the Brown's around (not saying Miles is Belicheck but you get the idea)

And those facilities, I've asked about this before but can't recall an answer, how long is that an advantage? Are we close to missing our window in the facilities arms race?

I've kind of made peace with it though, as long as I think of Nebraska as Lincoln's team and not Nebraska's team (their are 3 schools here and we're not even close to #1 IN THE STATE). I live in Lincoln, grew up here, but work in Omaha, god is it a brutal basketball season at work.

• Fire 1

I enjoyed watching Ed play, he had some fire in him, he was fun to watch. He had some life in him. That's what I'll miss.

The thing that really bugs me is that Miles was able to turn every team he's been with at ever level until he got to us, with our state of the art facilities. Despite all that we're still the Cleveland Browns of power 5 college basketball. I'm not sure it can be done. Even Belichek couldn't turn the Brown's around (not saying Miles is Belicheck but you get the idea)

And those facilities, I've asked about this before but can't recall an answer, how long is that an advantage? Are we close to missing our window in the facilities arms race?

I've kind of made peace with it though, as long as I think of Nebraska as Lincoln's team and not Nebraska's team (their are 3 schools here and we're not even close to #1 IN THE STATE). I live in Lincoln, grew up here, but work in Omaha, god is it a brutal basketball season at work.

Bill led the Browns to the playoffs which is basically saying he won a Super Bowl in Cleveland....

Any coach here can only sell what is available. Good facilities and you play in the B10. Early PT is nothing any more in basketball. Creighton's move to the Big East hurt Nebraska even a little more IMO, a lot more appeal than the MVC. I think we need to find more of a niche' style of basketball. I know for a fact we have to get some kids who can shoot the 3, been abysmal the last few years. Every B10 coach knew that all we had was the 'down hill' style of basketball trying to get to the cup.

• Mavric changed the title to Ed Morrow